Gimmito 450 gal L-shaped display

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

photo-128.jpg

Pic of othertwo 1 1/2" drains. I'm seriously debating whether to hard plumb the rest to the sump or use spa flex...we'll see. :doubt:

photo-127.jpg

The sump originally had two 1" holes for the bulkheads. As you can see I had to blow four 1 1/2" holes in there (I went through 3 fully charged batterys to do it !). :shock:

photo-123.jpg

Re: Gimmito's 450 L-shaped display

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A pic of my dirty tank (sheetrock dust gets every where and I didn't feel like climbing in there to clean it). I got a chance to make a pvc frame for the rock scaping. As soon as I get my light rack from Gen I can start installing the lights and going to town w/the rock !

Any ideas on putting the light racks on a actuator or pulley system ?

I see you shelled out for the weather covers on the receptacles :D
I was torn to use them also but the price bothered me. I ended up going with all TRWR receptacles.
Your doing an awesome job building this Jim. Thanks for keeping the thread updated :)

Gen's been working on the light rack design. I'm still contemplating using an actuator or a pulley system. Any thoughts ?

Picasa Web Albums - Jimmie

What were your thoughts exactly on the pulley or actuator system? Is this simply to be able to lift the lights out of the way to work on the tank or something different?

Apart from that, I'm still tagging along enjoying this clean build. :)

I see you shelled out for the weather covers on the receptacles :D
I was torn to use them also but the price bothered me. I ended up going with all TRWR receptacles.
Your doing an awesome job building this Jim. Thanks for keeping the thread updated :)

Thanks Frankie,

The 2 gang weather proof boxes were around $13 at Lowes. I'm not using them on all the outlets, just the ones close to water. I can't find a 3 gang weather proof one, I'll have to check a electrical supply house. :)

What were your thoughts exactly on the pulley or actuator system? Is this simply to be able to lift the lights out of the way to work on the tank or something different?

Apart from that, I'm still tagging along enjoying this clean build. :)

Krish,

It's actually dual-fold. I need the light rack to be moved for servicing the tank and be able to move up and down to acclimate coral. I originally wanted it to be able to move it completely out of the way via a garage door rack, but I can't quite fit that + can't move it up and down.

Krish,

It's actually dual-fold. I need the light rack to be moved for servicing the tank and be able to move up and down to acclimate coral. I originally wanted it to be able to move it completely out of the way via a garage door rack, but I can't quite fit that + can't move it up and down.

Ahh...Cool! :)

Hmm nice tank, I like the L shape!! I had one that was of simular design. Anyway for the lighting system, I installed a barn door hardware kit, basically the BD rail that is attached to an alluminium bar, which all of the reflectors are attached to. Basically I just slide it off to the side, it was a cheap and easy and is still working fine after 5 years or so.

Mojo

Hmm nice tank, I like the L shape!! I had one that was of simular design. Anyway for the lighting system, I installed a barn door hardware kit, basically the BD rail that is attached to an alluminium bar, which all of the reflectors are attached to. Basically I just slide it off to the side, it was a cheap and easy and is still working fine after 5 years or so.Mojo

Thanks Mojo,

Do you have any pics of your light rack ? I wanted to do something similiar to what you did, but I'm not sure I can swing it w/the room I have. On a side not, have you used recirculating skimmers ? I'm trying to dial in my H&S A150 via a ball valve from the drain line (a friend in the business suggested doing this). I don't seem to be getting the fine bubbles like I'm getting on my H&S 1000A/F2000 skimmer via a eheim 1250 pump. I'll post a video.

photo-144.jpg

I made a Tap Plastics run and picked up some acrylic cleaner and cloth. I was looking at the Novus to buff out some scratches on the frag tank, but it was pretty expensive. :O I also picked up a 7/16' acrylic drill bit to drill holes for the frag plugs.

photo-159.jpg

I hung the Maristar fixture & hooked up the lumatek ballasts. I need to change out the bulbs soon...I like the ushio 14k's and will probably go with aqua blue special and fiji purple for the T5's.

photo-162.jpg

I hooked up the jbj heater w/controller (nice big led reading), dialed in the H&S A150 (it started making some nice foam within a few hours), & threw some live rock in the drain section to jump start the cycling.

Back