Gimmito 450 gal L-shaped display

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

3eb2134c.jpg

I picked up a piece of 1" acrylic from Gen. The idea is to peg pieces of live rock onto there and secure it to the right rear wall to simulate depth

Grreat idea!! I've been thinking about doing something similar myself lately. Can't wait to see how this turns out. Are you going to drill holes and glue the rod into them to secure it to the acrylic plate? I was thinking that if you were able to drill holes in the plate at an angle (30-45 deg maybe?) you could then drill shallow holes into the rock and hang them on the rods like hanging a picture. No need to then drill all the way through the rock and secure with a nut if that works.

Grreat idea!! I've been thinking about doing something similar myself lately. Can't wait to see how this turns out. Are you going to drill holes and glue the rod into them to secure it to the acrylic plate? I was thinking that if you were able to drill holes in the plate at an angle (30-45 deg maybe?) you could then drill shallow holes into the rock and hang them on the rods like hanging a picture. No need to then drill all the way through the rock and secure with a nut if that works.

Long time no here Chichas ! How you been ?

You bring up a good point to drill the fiberglass at an angle and epoxy or cement the rod over the rock. I'll play around with it a bit to see what works best.

Been really good actually. Thanks for asking. Wife and I just had our second baby this last week.
I recently re-scaped some sections of my tank trying to open up some areas to more flow (massive algae outbreak due to me being lay with my ro/di filters!!) and some of the rock goes up the back wall in an arced cave sort of thing now. That got me thinking in the direction you are headed so I'm pretty stoked to see what you come up with. One benefit you might have if you can make it work is that it would be easier to remove and replace a rock without too much shifting if you have to get in there for maintenance or to catch a fish or what ever.

Been really good actually. Thanks for asking. Wife and I just had our second baby this last week.
I recently re-scaped some sections of my tank trying to open up some areas to more flow (massive algae outbreak due to me being lay with my ro/di filters!!) and some of the rock goes up the back wall in an arced cave sort of thing now. That got me thinking in the direction you are headed so I'm pretty stoked to see what you come up with. One benefit you might have if you can make it work is that it would be easier to remove and replace a rock without too much shifting if you have to get in there for maintenance or to catch a fish or what ever.

Congrat's on the new addition to the family !

Yes, this particular way of rockscaping may have alot of benefits....take care and get some rest.

Why is it that you say you can't have anything in there for a year???

Nice design by the way!

Why is it that you say you can't have anything in there for a year???

I believe I said 6 months. A lot of well known aquarists (Calfo, Pro, Feldman, etc.) subscribe to the 6 month cycling period to let the system build up the pod, micro fauna, etc. population.

Nice design by the way!

Thanks !

Last edited:
Thanks. I got a good laugh out of it the other night, its a big picture I'm surprised this forum didn't make me resize it on my end :D

That cheddar and ham is soooo good

795fd576.jpg

I started the rockscaping on the left side of the main display. I wanted to create alot of caves and overhangs for the fish to swim through. Let me know what you guys think. I'm probably going to have to buy some of the half cut Marco Rock to do the right side. I'm just not getting the look I want with what I have.

Trust me...I know. I aquascaped my 75gal one time for almost 7 hours only taking a break to eat and use the bathroom (OCD BIGTIME!!) I was so mentally exhausted when I was finished I actually threw up. :oops:

Trust me...I know. I aquascaped my 75gal one time for almost 7 hours only taking a break to eat and use the bathroom (OCD BIGTIME!!) I was so mentally exhausted when I was finished I actually threw up. :oops:

75 are tough to rockscape b/c of the depth...I rearranged the rocks quite a few times on my old 75 also (not quite 7 hours though !). Lugging 20-40 LR is a pain in the behind...great workout though, I'm sweating like crazy after 20 minutes in...lol.

Back