Gimmito 450 gal L-shaped display

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I added a Hanna dual stag TDS meter (so I don't have to break out the TDS pen). I have it setup where I get TDS reading post Kold Sterile Filters and post Kati/Ani resins. The KSF need changing out as I was getting a reading of 78 ppm, but after Kati Ani I get a reading of 1 ppm. Not bad eh ? :)

After reading a book Jake Adams recommended on RB named Practical Coral Farming by Miguel Tolosa, I decided to give vodka dosing a shot (no pun intended). I'm happy to report I'm getting 0 ppm Nitrates and 0.25 ppm or less Phosphates. I bought the Kirkland brand vodka (as you tell by the pic) for under 20 bucks. I still have plenty left after dosing 6ml a day in main display and 2 ml in the frag tank.

After reading some horror stories of over flowing waste water in homes, I picked up a water sensor for when I make up water. I can't put a auto top off since the Kati/Ani can't handle back pressure. Well worth the 15 bucks.

so a reading of 1 or 2 or maybe 4 is not bad. my filter system for years has been registering 0, I have the same TDS meter, and when it starts registering 1 I change out all the filters except the membrane and it reads 0 again. this year i changed the membrane out and all the filters and am still getting a reading of 1-2. I am guessing carbon dust will cause that? I used different carbon filters this time. The water from my test line after the first carbon filter has what looks like carbon dust in it.

Jim,

ooohh Vodka dosing..as you prolly know, this can get you in trouble fast and should be intending for the advanced user...

so do you still run the biopellet reactor too?

Jim,

ooohh Vodka dosing..as you prolly know, this can get you in trouble fast and should be intending for the advanced user...

so do you still run the biopellet reactor too?

Kirk,

I did my research and even got in touch with the author of the book to make sure I ramp up slowly. The bio pellets have been off line for awhile, I've found vodka dosing much easier to dial in.

Jim

I don't doubt u did your research..my comment was more for the newbie.didnt want them to try it and kill everything in the tank

Thanks for the feedback on this Jim! Correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't have any external interface control to systems like Apex yet, does it? I would hope the engineers are working on adding that feature. It would be a pretty easy addition to that control box and would allow for some great control if you wanted to use it on closed loops to ramp up flow. I'd like to have multiple separate closed loops with these DC pumps on them that can be ramped up and down to create a little more chaotic flow, or any other type of flow you desired based on the pump synchronization and water outlet placement. Thanks taking the time with the video eye candy.

Thanks for the feedback on this Jim! Correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't have any external interface control to systems like Apex yet, does it? I would hope the engineers are working on adding that feature. It would be a pretty easy addition to that control box and would allow for some great control if you wanted to use it on closed loops to ramp up flow. I'd like to have multiple separate closed loops with these DC pumps on them that can be ramped up and down to create a little more chaotic flow, or any other type of flow you desired based on the pump synchronization and water outlet placement. Thanks taking the time with the video eye candy.

It doesn't seem like there is any external interface, but I hope they add one in the future also. Glad you liked the review.

Back