Halmus' 120 Reef Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Amazing tank, really incredible colors.

Thanks. It's been a number of years growing in, but I'm still facing a lot of the same issues a lot of people run into when they first start out. Within the last 6 months, I've really started to struggle with maintaining Mg, Ca, Alk where I want them. My Mg is consistently 1560 and my Ca is suppressed. I don't dose Mg, but I have used Brightwell salts for years now. They're known for having higher Mg, but it's supposed to be 1400. I think I'll test some of the fresh mixed water before adding it to the aquarium. I'm mixing the salt buckets to compensate for any settling that may happen in transport.

I'll keep you all posted as I make progress. I am not blaming the issues on Brightwell's salt. I'm just considering my options and trying to eliminate variables. I don't add much of anything to my tank. I just do a lot of water changes. I typically do a 40% water change over the period of a month. Once a week, 17g, makes 68g in a month sometimes more. I estimate my total system volume to be around 150-180g. That would make it a 45-37% water change. I have added so many things to the tank, I don't have a good estimate on total volume. The point is, I should be replacing a lot of the needed elements with the large water changes, even though I'm sure I have a heavy Ca demand from the SPS growth.

Thanks. Unfortunately, the tank has been down for almost a year now. I am getting ready for a move to Denver soon. I've been working on my website to document this build, other builds/projects, and future projects once I get settled in Denver. I have plans for a big tank. I'm looking forward to it.

http://halmusreeftank.com/120g_aquarium.html

He is doing some serious thread mining.

Got to build that post count somehow.

I've seen ppl come and go. Lol
Great to see a lot of faces stay and become framiliar.

WA state is taking a heavy hit. We all are really gonna miss this great guy and reefer!
D

Back