hardwood floors killed almost everything

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ckeadle

This is the 2nd time in about 10 months that my tank has been wiped out. The first was last summer and it over heated, I barely survived the wind storm and right now I am remodeling the house and had the hardwood floors redone.

I didn't think about it because the hardwoods are on the 2nd floor and the tank is in the basement but the fumes have got into the water somehow and killed almost everything... bristle worms are floatig everywhere, fish are dead, corals are bleaching... somehow the only two fish alive are my GS maroon clowns...

This hobby can be devastating sometimes....

I guess my reason for posting is to warn everyone else about the issue if you are redoing your hardwoods.

Yikes...how horrible. I can see how the fact that your tank was downstairs would make you think you were "safe."

My condolences... :cry:

Your right things can go bad in a hurry. Sorry to hear about your loss, but thanks for the important reminder.

Isn't it amazing how LONG :doubt: it takes for anything good to happen in a reef and how FAST:eek: everything bad happens?

My condolences, hope the corals and clowns pull through

agreed, well put... It takes soooo much out of you when things like this happen. Part of me wants to get rid of the tank and stop but I know i would be back in a few months...

Do I need to drain the whole tank or will some large water changes do the trick?

Thoughts?

This is the 2nd time in about 10 months that my tank has been wiped out. The first was last summer and it over heated, I barely survived the wind storm and right now I am remodeling the house and had the hardwood floors redone.

I didn't think about it because the hardwoods are on the 2nd floor and the tank is in the basement but the fumes have got into the water somehow and killed almost everything... bristle worms are floatig everywhere, fish are dead, corals are bleaching... somehow the only two fish alive are my GS maroon clowns...

This hobby can be devastating sometimes....

I guess my reason for posting is to warn everyone else about the issue if you are redoing your hardwoods.

fwiw - you've saved my fishes and coral, b/c we're planning on doing are hardwoods next year. I also saw someone else post something last week or week before about what to do (if anything) to a tank if redoing hardwoods.

Maybe someone else who's had it done while maintaining a reef tank can chime in.

I've read that there are other types of non-noxious stains and polyeurothane coatings that can be applied, and different ways of wrapping and venting a fish tank so no fumes enter, but not sure where to buy, what it is, or how to do.

This doesn't only apply to hardwood resurfacing, it could effect us all if we plan to use flee bombs for example.

I can't imagine the devastation & losses that you've gone thru, but if you need coral frags, I have a few to get you started again once you're ready, and live sand.:oops:

Has anyone out there prepped a reef tank for this kind of situation, and had good success?

The water based finishes are less toxic but not as good.
Seal your tank and sump air tight, run lots of carbon, and bring in outside air into your skimmer to keep the tank with positive pressure. If possible, add a large outside air pump or fan system. The idea is to have your entire system breathing outside air

Last edited:
exactly correct. outside air feeding to the tank area and completely isolated from the house. possitive pressure is also necessary in many situations because the fumes from most floor finishes can and will penetrate the plastic used to isolate the tank area if outside air isnt continuously pumped in. same with any type of bug bomb such as flea bombs. most bombs are more powder than fumes so not as big a problem but still need to protect the tank.

it could effect us all if we plan to use flee bombs for example.

Gaby, we are thinking of you.

Seriously though; I had mine done in December and didn't even think about protecting my tank. Everything was fine, I believe polyurethane was used.

I would change out as much water as possible and run carbon. Sorry for your losses.

i have done two large water changes in 2 days and am running carbon... all the SPS are gone... the RBTA's look like they will survive and the Zoa's are closed up but look like they may pull through... man this hobby is frustrating sometimes... I think I lost more money in my tank than it cost to do the hardwoods...

Back