Has anybody used these

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tat2z_21

tat2z_21
Just wondering if anyone out there has used these with success. I am worried about the corrosion that is sure to ensue after being on top of a open tank. Would it be wise before installation to apply a high temp paint on the outside (taping off obviously the reflector portion) just to minimize corrosion. I am also wondering about the HQI connections, are they a fire hazard. I am planning an upgrade from my current 75 to a 180 and want to plan this out a little better.

the link
http://www.aquacave.com/250w-metal-halide-hqibr-parabolic-reflector-with-lens-1537.html

The anodized aluminum holds up pretty well in any salt environment. Best to no paint unless absolutely have to. The HQI sockets are safe, and there is a glass shield

So these are a good investment. Thank you for your input. I read the specs on it as well. I will put three of them over a 180 do you think that wil be enough.

I would spend the money in better reflectors you will notice the difference. from the light out put for the price they are good but better equals better use of the lights output.

and by pait do you mean the outsides are there going in a canopy or outside of a canopy?

The plan was to paint the outside for preventative measures to prevent corrosion. I am aware that there are better reflectors out there. The Lumenmax 3 are awesome and I read the specs for them. With five kids I have to do this on a budget. Hence the $40 reflector vice the $140. I am piecing this buid together. I ordered a brand new 180 and plan to build the stand and hood, then I will be reusing the equipment that I have. I currently have a 48" and a 36" coral life fixture that I will be taking apart (for the halides setup). By doing this I save myself almost $900. Instead of buying a new 72" fixture. I will reuse my current 75g AGA. I am going to insert acrylic baffles and create the setup that I want out of it. Looking to make a show refugium. So I am trying to incorporate as much of my existing equipment as possible. However the glass for the current fixtures are not attached to the reflectors.

Back