Here is my 180 gallon build...and it will be a slow one....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

akunochi

Mr. Reckless
Well here is the thread where I will start to document my build. I did not plan for this build so it is coming together slowly to say the least. I was give this TruVu 180 gallon acrylic tank. The center overflow popped off and the old owner had no desire to fix it....so free tank = expensive project.

Here is the stand I just built. I used all 4x4 and 2x6 construction with removable front braces skinned in 3/4" oak plywood. I finished it with a red mahogany stain and poly-urethane semi-gloss clear. I used European style flush hinges for the doors. I still need to add a crown molding trim all the way around, trim the doors and the corners as well.

Next is the canopy....That will be a project in itself....stay tuned next week for the canopy.

Later Seth

IMG_1571.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

awesome project! Congratz on finding a free tank, that will lower your overall costs :)

Yes 72x24x24. I somehow fit it in my Landrover to move it....
LOL isn't that the only point of owning a truck... so you can move stuff :oops:

Yes it is....I wish I had a pic. I had to remove the head rest on the passenger seat, recline it all the way, fold the back seats down, and lean against the driver door to accommodate me and the tank. I went back for my fiancee after I got the tank home. I just put the last coat of clear on the tank. Still trying to decide on a nice trim. I fixed one of the MH pendants that was giving me hell. The bulbs I won off ebay for 100 were crushed on arrival. They were insured for 200 so hopefully that will pay for the third and final Icecap ballast.

The last huge cost will be the SWC 250 skimmer.

You were kidding, Right? ;)

LOL I was referring to the equipment setup. I have to give Her some sort of end state. She is a business/finance major. Undecided open-ended spending makes her question my plans....

;)

LOL I was referring to the equipment setup. I have to give Her some sort of end state. She is a business/finance major. Undecided open-ended spending makes her question my plans....

;)

I know, so was I. Let's see, Kalk reactor, Calcium reactor w/Co2, RO/DI, auto top off system, Fuge, etc. Shall I go on? Believe me when your done, you'll start over!:D:D:D

LOL thats my major :) I totally know where you are comming from. I drive my gf crazy with balance sheets and budgets :lol:

Well its been awhile since I updated. I have the skimmer and fuge in. 2 of the 3 ballasts on hand and all the pumps. I started to add water for the first time and sure enough the bulkheads had some leaks. Luckily I had a tank drain hose plumbed in and was able to evac most of the water. I'm going to add some silicone between the gasket and tank tonight and try again.

Awesome tank and makes me jealous. I just notice one thing you mind find as a problem in the future. That window behind your tank may cause and algea problem. I had a window to the right of my tank andi always had a line of algea where the light would shine in. I know that with tanks this size sometimes space is limited.

Good luck.

if you keep the water clean the sunlight shouldnt be any worse than the metal halide lighting. nutrients cause algea not light.

your tank will love the sunlight dude! i swear i had double sized corals on the right side of my last setup!!! watch the heat though.

OK so way past due on an update huh.

I ran into so many plumbing problems it was ridiculous. I thought I had it right once and started to cycle just to have a 1.5"pipe burst at a joint powered by my barracuda pump. That was a mess. I had a bad bulkhead....then sand got into a union and wouldn't reseal.

Also come to find out I got a bad can of PVC glue. SO I switched out to the grey heavy duty cement and all is well. I had a leaky sump and went all the way to whidby island for a new one. Then that one cracked while drilling for the BH. Good thing I had weld on handy and some acrylic. Patched that one up. Now the tank is cycling.

I found a great deal of about 150+ pounds of moist dry rock for 20$ from a member here. SOme beautiful pranching pieces and one piece that had to be 50lbs + DRY!!!. It is monstrous and barely fit through the tank opening.

I have 3 DIY lumenarc pendants I am getting ready to hang. I am waiting on the DE socket and I need one of my ballast back from repair.

I def need more sand though.
More pics in next post.

Here is one Lisa took while I was working on it. It is dry with the doors off. Can for size reference.

DSCN1774.jpg

I STILL need to put trim pieces on the stand....still

DSCN1782.jpg

The pumps on the left side of the stand

DSCN1785.jpg

Verifying the skimmer works

DSCN1786.jpg

The right and center doors open on the stand.
DSCN1787.jpg

I don't feel the tank is too loud. But I would like to quiet it up some still
DSCN1782.jpg

Here are some updated pics. I added some SPS to try and soak up some of the calc. ALK/Calc tested within limits but on the high side. I removed my Zoas which were unhappy until the tank shows signs of being better. Still fighting microbubbles too. I am going to finish siliconing the joints this weekend. I finally got the final bulb and ballast in, just haven't hooked them up. My favia is doing awesome in the tank. I added my Anthias, Sailfin tang and White tip trigger. I am keeping an eye on the trigger but so far he is doing well and not bothering anything. I keep him well fed.

I'm waiting for the algae bloom to subside.

DSCN1835.jpg

DSCN1845.jpg

DSCN1844.jpg

DSCN1842.jpg

DSCN1841.jpg

DSCN1839.jpg

Back