I am an acrylic newby with a couple Qs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Herefishyfishy

Smart Bass
Is 1/4" too thin to use for a 2nd corner overflow in a 29 " tall tank?
Any reason to silicone small return bulkheads as a leak precaution?

If 1/4" is too thin, anyone have a piece of 30" X ? for sale?

Last edited:
Acrylic is super strong, you should be very fine in such a small tank, even if it did bow some it is very hard to break it. BH's are made to seal without silicone, even though i did that once, I'd not do it again. If you're not secure with a BH then purchase the schedule 80,'s they are super beefed up and will last.

Thanks Scott and tg. Just to make sure you understand, those dimensions are the additional overflow not the tank. The tank is 30t x 22"d x 60"l 150g with a tiny noisy overflow on one end. I am adding a larger one on the other end. I could add a long one along the backtop and connect it to the 4" x 5" 30" tall that already exists.

As to the bulkheads, they will only be 3 of them, 6-8" deep in the tank on the back and are only 3/4" units so probably fine with the cheapos and no silicone.

Been exclusively in glass tanks for 50 years (almost 40 in salt.) This is my first acrylic :>)

Once the overflow is full ther is not that much pressure pushing in on the acyrlic. are you drilling the tank through the bottom? Why not buid a box. In larger tanks I have had problems of the acyrlic come loose from the glass if the tank has any give to it. You could also make it from glass with a piece of grate ( like the frag rack, or cieling light grate. ) siiconed to the top.

but are you drilling the bottom or the back or the side? I was thinking a elevated box. this opens up a little more room in the tank instead of taking up the whole corner. Like maybe a 4x4x4 or something...

mike I probably have enough big 3/4 acrylic if you need stronger sucks making slots but wont bust I have weldon as well and if its to glass make sure you use good sealant and make a stand pipe just at the top of the overflow so if it does let loose it dosnt drain the tank

mike I probably have enough big 3/4 acrylic if you need stronger sucks making slots but wont bust I have weldon as well and if its to glass make sure you use good sealant and make a stand pipe just at the top of the overflow so if it does let loose it dosnt drain the tank
Thanks Andy, very generous. At this point looks like I have all I need, will see.
As to the standpipe, they are a must just for noise alone, not even considering the vital safety need.

but are you drilling the bottom or the back or the side? I was thinking a elevated box. this opens up a little more room in the tank instead of taking up the whole corner. Like maybe a 4x4x4 or something...

Since the tank is so tall, was thinking of adding the box at the top along the back, but that would look bad with the clear I am using so will probably just add the second box on the far end.

You can sand the acrylic to give it a "smokey" look. The Coraline algae will attach to the overflow box over time and will not be so noticeable.

Was going to drill the bottom, but can just as easily drill the back or end to save tank space.
What is the minimum box height to make a quiet durso in an attached internal box with a 1" pipe?

I was thinking more like an upper corner overflow box instead of a top to bottom corner overflow box with the durso drain external. I guess it depends on your space of where you are placing your tank and what you want to see.

Back