In the market for a skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pandora32

Hey there everybody.
I may be in a position I can finnaly get a new skimmer for my reef. I have been looking at the SWC skimmers in the XTREME 350, 300, 250 and 230 ranges. I like these ranges because eventually, my tank willl be full of fish and corals.
If you dont know already, I have a tank with 261.5g of total water volume.
The ONLY problems I have with these skimmers is the space needed for them. I really dont see them fitting which is a real bummer! I love the way they look and have read nothing but good reviews if them (good job skimmy).
But. I dont think they will fit. So I am here to ask all of you. What would you suggest for me for a skimmer in the 300-400+ gallon range? Please dont say Deltec. To rich for my blood.

Reef Dynamics, formerly Euro Reef, has top of the line skimmers at budget pricing. I couldn't be happier with mine. Super customer support. Several informative videos. At least check em out.

jeff from reef dynamics makes great handmade skimmers powered by eheim pumps,
but they arent very budget....
XRC250 Protein Skimmer Rated Up To 800 Gallons

also, despite their claims, they DO over rate their skimmers, IMO.
how can a skimmer with 960 lph air injection and water processing of 275-350gph be good for up to an 800g tank??
I would put that on a 200g maybe...
the budget models they do make I dont like as much because of the crappy resun/gen x/eco pumps.
i feel that other skimmer companies offer you better design features and higher quality pumps for the same or less money.
just my opinion.

Thanks skimmy. Have you ever seen or used any of these skimmers? My MAXIMUM measurements are 17 3/4 wide by 13 3/4 long by 32 deep, and that would mean being unable to remove the cup or install the skimmer into the sump. The drains coming from the tank dumps into my skimmer area. Would it be possible to use my fuge area for my skimmer? Its a considerably larger area. I have a deep mixed bed of aragonite, fine sand, crushed coral, and empty shells as well as my cheato and a decent size piece of LR. I have a 3 chamber sump. Flow comes in on the left going into the fuge (2nd chamber) through the bubble trap into the return section which I have filled with LR as well.

I use an Eheim pump with Red Sea Berlin X2 Turbo Skimmer placed iside the sump. For its compact size, it is a super efficient combination. You do need to use an overflow external collection container if you don't wish to epty the cup everyday.

Back