In Wall - going for it! - seeking your ideas/feedback/advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Nahh - they'd be on the sides of the lumenarcs, but underneath the rack - Dont make me draw another lamo picture Jan :)

I'd recomend making some retrofit brackets and bring your actinics down so that you're lumenarc's aren't blocking the light. I had the same problem in my 55 hood. I can show you the creative solution I came up with to build brackets that dropped my actinics down to the same level as the MH reflectors. This may create some more problems with accessing the tank though depending on how much extra room you have in there.

Yep... very good point about access. This is why I need to automate my canopy lift! Right now it is a pogo stick and balancing act :eek:

canopy-lift-doors-open.jpg

Pogo stick or not, every time I see your tank I'm amazed Mark :)

This if for Elliot & Jan - Here is, in theory, what I'd want my lighting rack to look like. Lumenarcs in the middle resting on top of the wire platform (I'd make cutouts so the wires didn't block the light peneetration) and 6 T5s hanging from the bottom of the grate (3 on either side of the lumenarcs)

This wire platform is suspended from the ceiling- I don't have that hooked up yet, so for now, I'm using boxes :D

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

Oh the fabrication and build looks like it will be fun. Can I bring over some tools and play? I also have a grinder. A sawzall and metal blade may be quicker and less mess though.

Oh the fabrication and build looks like it will be fun. Can I bring over some tools and play? I also have a grinder. A sawzall and metal blade may be quicker and less mess though.

Yes -- Fun indeed. :D welcome anytime, even tomorrow as the wife is out w/ her sister and I can make as much racket as I want. I'll be here just tinkering away w/ my new toys, so let me know if you want to stop by. I was even thinking a dremel might work and give some clean lines.

Before i cut though, I want to figure out what to put around the peremeter of the whole that we intend to cut. I was thinking angle iron (aluminum). I'd like to ahve it on hand, and almost make a template with it to ensure we get it precise fit.

I'll work on that. Elliot gave me a good tip on that place in ballard that sells the stuff for cheap.

Ben
If you have a problem cutting the platform for your lights, I have extra panels you can have. I didn't use them for mine.
Rick

thx Rick. What exactly do you have? is it angle iron? what were you going to use/what did you use for your's?

thx Rick. What exactly do you have? is it angle iron? what were you going to use/what did you use for your's?

Hey Ben
Refer back to post #384 it explains how I would build yours, but what I have left over is the 3-16"x48" panels you show your lights on, like in post #422. You seemed concerned about possibly making an error when cutting on your metal panels. Was just offering some spares my friend. :D My hood application would not work for you, it is 30" x 96". Hope this helps, if not shoot me a PM with your # and we can chat.
Rick

Hey Ben
Refer back to post #384 it explains how I would build yours, but what I have left over is the 3-16"x48" panels you show your lights on, like in post #422. You seemed concerned about possibly making an error when cutting on your metal panels. Was just offering some spares my friend. :D My hood application would not work for you, it is 30" x 96". Hope this helps, if not shoot me a PM with your # and we can chat.
Rick

Gotcha - I get it now. thx. You never know. I may need 'em.

Before i cut though, I want to figure out

IMO It would be best to wait until the tank is in place and we figure out how to frame out the furnace ducting and then hang the rack itself and see exactly where it sits in relation to the tank. Maybe I can swing by on Sunday Give me call when you get a chance and let me hear all of the details in person.

IMO It would be best to wait until the tank is in place and we figure out how to frame out the furnace ducting and then hang the rack itself and see exactly where it sits in relation to the tank. Maybe I can swing by on Sunday Give me call when you get a chance and let me hear all of the details in person.

Duane - Sunday is mother's day isn't it? is the wife going to be ok w/ that? if not, totally understand.

I was thinking I'd try to pickup some lumber and start framing the stand a bit this weekend.

Duane - I agree with you - cutting the metal should come after the tank is in and we can see where this lies.

Also, I tried hooking up my kalk reactor to my current system to test it out. I'm not sure I'm doing it right - the mixture seemed thick and it seems like it is dumping a lot into my system. Maybe you coud help me w/ the settings on that too since I'm whole to the whole Kalk world.

I totally spaced out the mothers day thing for a minute there. Two days ago I was looking for a small LCD TV for the new workout/frag room for the mother of the house ( just to clarify to those that think I completely forgot).
I will run the idea by her for dropping by this weekend and see what she has to say.

I would be happy to help you tweak the kalk reactor when I come over. If you could be so kind to remind me, I will also bring your 5lb bag with me and try to remember some of my DIY food. I made a good batch this time.

Last edited:
Stand construction starts today :)

I'm off to the local lumber store as soon as they open up. I hope to post some pics of progress at the end of the day.

Thanks guys.. here's as far as i got...

notched out the 4 x 4 legs, so the weight of the joists transfers directly down on the posts. I attached the joists to the legs w/ carriage bolts:

495499566_79643cc0f9.jpg

I hung the exterior joists and one in the middle (these were 2 * 8s):

495499570_4ab1fcd15e.jpg

I used some tonge & grove 2 * 6 s for the top platform (I've found plywood seems to disintegrate pretty easily, so this seemed like a good alternative). Oh.. and I put my dog (Charlie Brown) up there to test it :shock: And what do you know, it works.. I underestimated the number of 2 * 6's though, so have to head back to the store tomorrow.

495499598_db946e4306.jpg

I posed for a photo quickly too...
495499560_de0c849956.jpg

then wife started yelling at me because the stand covers up the cat door. She doesn't want me to move it b/c she thinks it'll "look ugly." So I'm going to sleep on it, but I'm actually thinking about chopping the back right leg shorter and moving the stand to the right about 5 inches. It would look like so...

495517230_d286866acf_o.jpg

Oh... and check this out... 55 gallon drums. Originally used by Pepsi, so they're food grade. I purchased for $20 each!!!! WOW!!! Can you beleive it? When I was looking at these brand new and they were like $100+ each. Sure they need a little cleaning, but hey, it's worth it.

If interested, they can be found at the Army surplus store right off of 196th in Lynnwood. I was so stoked when i found these today. They have smaller ones too, and blue one's.

495499564_cc525d33bd.jpg

I dont think cutting the back leg off will be an issue. You can just lag bolt the 4x4 to the 2x4 inside the wall to insure there wont be any sagging on that corner. I would lag bolt it only because I dont know how strong the stand for the furnace is.

I saw this stand first hand. Ben Is quite the craftsman despite his denying it. A person can park a car on this stand when it is finished. I've seen suspended garage floors built more poorly over my years as a carpenter.

Ben,

Excellent find on the drums..I was looking for something just like this..
Two questions:
1. Can you give me the exact address of this place so I can input it into my GPS. I am going tomorrow if they are open.
2. What is the signficant of these drums being food grade??

kirk

Back