In Wall - going for it! - seeking your ideas/feedback/advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I few unknown obstacles I see but you know it could be worse. Now you need a game plan but I'm sure it will work out, you can move anything if you have the will!

Ben, if the only thing in the bay is the drain pipe you should have enough room to use 45s to move the drain over tight to the 2x6 and still have room. If the only thing upstairs is two bathrooms the pipe should only be 3". If you use 90s make sure you use long turns.
PS You can pick up 2 1/2 baths on 3". good luck pal

Ben,

Sounds like you need reinforcements and a good general contractor to help you out. :D

Kirk

Fortunately I've got a good GC. Scratch that.... "Great GC." Duane's (Trido) is one of the best w/ 20 yrs of experience. As you know, he's very involved in the build/design of the tank from start to finish - I know it's not close to being finished, but would just like to public thank him for everything he's done to help me out so far. And, reasonably priced considering all of these extra headaches I'm putting him through. He's popped over to my house several times now to review and re-review the plans, and help me with all of my odd ball questions. I know he has a full workload already, but if anyone is thinking about hiring a GC to help w/ construction. I've called around to several GCs and Duane should be your first and last place to look.

Unfortunately, I woke up thinkinig about this job. Man I hate it when I bring my work home (and to bed) with me.

Ben, If you can figure out weather they are heating ducts or cold air returns for me it will make a huge difference in what we can do there. Also, are they a standard 3.25"x10" duct or something else?

Sorry Duane :oops:

And I'm not sure if this answers your question, but I do not have an AC unit. I assume this means they are for heating? If this logic doesn't apply, if you can tell me how to figure out if they are one or the other, I'd be glad to take a closer look when I get home from work today.

Also, on the size, they have printed on them "COV 6" - Although I haven't fully checked them out, they look oval shaped vs. perfect circles. Here's a bigger picture in case it helps:

496791286_3a2cedeb70_b.jpg

I few unknown obstacles I see but you know it could be worse. Now you need a game plan but I'm sure it will work out, you can move anything if you have the will!

I have the will! :D Not sure I have the pocketbook :eek:

Ben, if the only thing in the bay is the drain pipe you should have enough room to use 45s to move the drain over tight to the 2x6 and still have room. If the only thing upstairs is two bathrooms the pipe should only be 3". If you use 90s make sure you use long turns.
PS You can pick up 2 1/2 baths on 3". good luck pal

You're right man - It is only 3". I only have 2 bathrooms upstairs. I may have mistated earlier. Yes, it's definately 3". 45's to snug it over makes sense. I didn't understand the P.S part though. Could you extrapolate a bit maybe in different terms. Were you saying I could reduce the 3" pipe down to 2 1/2 w/ no extra problems?

Ben sorry. I was talking bathrooms,Masterbath,mainbath and powderbath all on 3" which would be 2 1/2 baths ( no tub/shower in 1/2 bath ) and no you can't bush it down. Well you can but you would have big problems. If you have plumbing problems PM me I'am a plumber. Hope this helps ben good luck.

PS you can also run it outside the wall. Just make sure you fire caulk around any penetrations. Two HR wall. You will have problems when you go to sell the house later down the road.

outside of the wall ehh? Creative. But yes, good point on property values.

Last night, I started to dig through some old pics of the house when it was being built. If I ever get another new house, i'll make sure I photograph every inch of the thing. But I could only find one shot of what the inside of the wall looked like and its not that good, but may give us some clues.

The wall where the tank is going is highlighted in blue. The arrows point to the two ventalation pipes. They look like they run straight up and down from top to bottom. (you may have to scroll to the left to see the wall)

499638476_1476112eb5_o.jpg

And here's a zoomed in picture w/ arrows pointing to the two vent pipes:

499638462_c4be05d1c0_o.png

I'm willing to bet they're heating ducts. Since it looks like the furnace is pushing the air down and out under the house. The air then needs to get back upstairs to heat it..

That's my guess.

BTW: Moving might be a whole heck of a lot of work. Do able yes, but not fun. Might be opening up a few ore walls to get it done.

Now that I've had a few days to digest this dilema. I don't see how I could do it without running the pipe on the outside of the wall if there will be a header panel put in. It's load bearing and a sheer wall too which makes running on the outside the wall almost a must.

If I did run it on the outside, I only have 7" of workable room on the left side of the tank (bound by a light switch and a doorway) and 11" of workable room on the right (bound by the furnace). Since these ventalation pipes are 8" by 3 - 3 1/2" oval shaped, I'd have to run both of them outside of the wall on the right hand side of the opening snug fit right next to each other.

wow - this is going to be a lot of work!!!! :eek: :shock: :cool: :?: :( :mad: :oops: ;) :lol:

And as James points out, a lot of work/$ to put it back together too when we go to sell the house.

Option B) The garage shares a wall with our formal living room too. It would be possible to use that wall, but we literally spend like no time in that room at all. We'd have to force ourselves to be in the living room to enjoy the tank. I could avoid a lot of headache though in the build and when we go to move... oh boy... something to continue to sleep on...

Your doing all this & have plans on moving later? Man that is a lot of werk to do just to take it all down & move it. Can you just tear the entire wall down & rebuild it, leaving plans to put it back to just a wall? I've seen load bearing walls completely removed before but not sure if that wold help any, your sorta in a pickle here. Patch the wall & wait on the tank while your new house w/fishroom is being built:D

Ben,

Not to throw fuel on the fire, but what does your wife think of all of this??
(I know, I know, I can hear the replies now, "he didnt go there, did he??")

:D:D:D

It all looked so easy when it was just a piece of paper stuck on the wall.....If you did do the tank in the living room maybe it would actually become a LIVING room :) Get a playstation or a computer in there an heck it would be the best room in the house!!!!

well, went to bed thinking about it, woke up thinking about it.. and thought I had convinced myself that putting it in the living room would be the best way to go b/c it's easier, but I came to yet another interesting roadblock...

It's impossible to put it in the living room. Why? I pulled out the tape measurer this morning and found out that the garage door track is smack dab in the middle of where I need to go.

AHHHH!!!! the saga continues!

502270127_0000e3f2c5.jpg

So.. I really have no choice but to put it in the family room

Did you buy your tank already? If not, you could always make a different plan, like a peninsula tank for example....

Did you buy your tank already? If not, you could always make a different plan, like a peninsula tank for example....

Downpayment has been made. Im not sure Jason has started on it yet. I was thinking about a pininsula tank initially, but my lady didn't care for the idea b/c it'd eat up a lot of the open feel that we like so much about the house. Pininsula would also mean I'd have to build a nice stand which would probably mean an extra couple grand which I really can't do. I like the out of the box suggestion though.

How about an Aquapod? <grin>

I know Matt-- sounding pretty good right now, right?...he he..:D except... Parts have arrived or have been ordered, payments issued, etc. thinking will jsut have to make due w/ the ventalation pipe delima re-routed outside of the wall.

all i can say right now is...woouu :shock: .
well if you ever end up sleeping outside your home you can always use your cats as pillows and since summer is coming you won't need a blanket :lol: :lol: :p .
no but seriously you got a lot to do and think .....hopefully once it's over, you won't be disapointed :) .

At this point... my decision is... swallow the pill and go forth and conquer!!! oh.. and do it with a smile too! :D :D :D :D

I have two pipes in the wall and it is what it is. I don't have any other viable alternatives at this point. I have to much vested at this point to turn back :rolleyes:

So.. was on the phone w/ Duane today and he tossed out a new idea. I'd like to run it by Scott, James, and anyone else familiar w/ duct work to get your opinions.

I'm looking for least expensive, least time consuming, easiest route to re route the existing duct work and be able to easily put it back together (when the time comes to sell)

The idea:

• Plug the two pipes currently in the wall that run straight up and down.
  • Tap into the main that hangs from the ceiling and drop one larger pipe down in between the existing heater and the tank (this would be large enough to carry the air capacity of both of the existing vents)
  • throw a few L bends on there and bring it back down to reattach at the bottom.

It would look like so...
502475872_875b2f6d66_o.jpg
\

yes? :D

Back