In Wall - going for it! - seeking your ideas/feedback/advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

7:30 Huh? I should be half way to Bellingham by then. Im leaving town until the electrical work is done. :D Good luck!!

:p Going Camping!
Seriously, That is exciting I will make every best offort to get over there and wire that baby up ASAP. Dont hold off on the plumbing, or sheet rock, even the HVAC for that matter. I am using external mounted flexible MC and can run the wiring after everything else is finished.

On a side note... trido your tank is stunning! Ok back on topic:D

totally agree - it's nothing short than amazingly stunning!

Ok.. Back on track.

Scott came over yesterday and hung the top and side ventalation. Thanks a million Scott!!!! I can't imagine how difficult it would've been if we tried to do it after the tank was installed. :) I think I said it before, but I never thought sheet metal could look so pretty. :D

543931978_87bf0c7b47.jpg

543931966_5de4980c71.jpg

Then after he left, I patched a couple holes in the wall and spayed some orange peel texture on them, then repainted them, then hung my new design of the trim work and siliconed it. I'm happier with the outcome of this design more than the other one - I just hope the wife doesn't change her mind again :)

543931958_ea5a71ade5.jpg

543931938_fdf8ba58b7.jpg

543931952_120a78c48b.jpg

totally agree - it's nothing short than amazingly stunning!

Ok.. Back on track.

Scott came over yesterday and hung the top and side ventalation. Thanks a million Scott!!!! I can't imagine how difficult it would've been if we tried to do it after the tank was installed. :) I think I said it before, but I never thought sheet metal could look so pretty. :D

This is looking great Ben! Can't wait to see a tank in that hole. Are you going to vent the Luminarcs through the ventilation ducts you just had put in, or are you going to leave them open?

This is looking great Ben! Can't wait to see a tank in that hole. Are you going to vent the Luminarcs through the ventilation ducts you just had put in, or are you going to leave them open?

Thanks Jamie - appreciate the compliment. For ventalation, I had considered tieing it into the ventalation of the house, but after talking it over w/ Scott figured this probably wouldn't be the best idea b/c of the moisture that would be put into the system. Instead, the ultimate plan is to have a seperate blower which will pull the air outside. I have a feeling though that they'll remain open for a little bit until I can get some other things in order (ie finances :rolleyes:(chuckle):rolleyes:)

wwoouu dood ...finally so awesome progress :D.
I don't know about your trim though ...it looked better before ...not it looks to much :lol:....j/k :lol:.
how about just putting a nice dehumidifier instead :p:D.

Schweet!! I wish I could be there for the delivery.
Thank God Scott did the HVAC. I never would have fabricated anything worth taking a picture of. Nice job Scott.

Nice second job on the trim Ben.IMO it looks way better. Even has the rope....:cool: Your sheetrock patch looks good to. Ill give you a ribbing in person about that canned texture when I come over though. ;)

Last edited:
euw - eeee! I'm on cloud 9 right now. The tank has been delivered, is up on the stand, and drilled! It's beautiful - the craftsmanship is nothing less than stunning. The cuts/edges polished perfect. And it fits like a glove into the wall pocket. Even my wife is impressed - and as you know, she's a hard one to please. :D

I'll get her all cleaned up and take some more pics, but here are some fun one's of the install.

Tank up on stand to mark holes from the bottom
550724758_9c820ac11a.jpg

Tank down on floor tipped on side to fully mark holes
550724778_b82ad89d26.jpg

Hole hogging the stand again - the holes were too close for comfort and we needed a little wiggle room, so had to break out the 4 incher (thanks Scott for letting me borrow the bigger hole saw).
550724808_4fdcb6e098.jpg

Jason doing his best Rambo impersonation :) (watch out, it's loaded)
550724822_7fb30addeb.jpg

after the bottom holes were drilled in the tank, we drilled slightly larger holes in the starboard and installed bulkheads on the bottom and popped it back up on top of the stand. Here's some fun pics of Jason inside drillin' the bulkheads on the back wall of the continuous overflow.

550724854_bdf7b1183c.jpg

550724862_e78a5a329f.jpg

And.. there we have it folks. The proud new owners with permagrins (smiles from ear to ear) :D:D:D

550753700_afee75d665.jpg

Thanks again Jason - it's beautiful!!!!

Looks fantastic! So how much longer until the water goes in?:D

Thanks Jayson - well, I need to get the plumbing done first and given my plumbing maze, that could take a little bit :eek:. I'll hammer away on it this weekend though and see how far I get.

Ahh.. and not expecting any takers on this, but anyone interested in coming over to check it out and help me plumb is welcome - just drop me a PM. I'll offer you breakfast or lunch - I make a mean grilled cheese sandwich :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

CONGRATS!!! It looks awesome.

About your request for help, I assume you want someone who knows what they're doing. If not, and you just need someone to yell, "It's leaking!" I can do that. :rolleyes:

Ben,

Tank looks nice. and I am well aware of his workmanship, and I agree it is nothing but stunning. :)

BTW, I called hellolights regarding my ballast that wasn't fire a bulb, they diagnosed as the ballast being the problem. A replacement ballast has been sent to me.

I would love to help you, but as Jan has stated, you prolly want someone that knows what they are doing, esp. when it comes to water and plumbing. However, I would love to see the tank in person when it is ready. (if you don't mind me inviting myself) :D

Ahh looking nice, I hate to miss out on a good grilled cheese samich but the drive is a little too far LOL!
Congrats on a very nice tank! BTW did Jason want to put anything on the bottom between the sand & tank?

Thanks guys - I'm still smiling btw although the smile may go down after I start the plumbing work :D

As for help w/ the plumbing job, it's going to sound like a job ad, but "no experience required" :D. If you get bored and have nothing else to do this weekend, PM and stop on by and I'll whip you up a samich.

James - definatley want to do something to have you all over. I was thinking a bbque if it's still summer. I think anyone has stuck w/ me on this thread is more than welcome over for some franks, beers, and hamburgs

Scooty - on the underlayment, I opted not to go for it. After we put the tank up there and realized it was stable and plumb we decided to pass. If anyone is in the market for some underlayment, I have some for ya that I'll pass on to anyone who's interested. Duane passed it onto me and I believe it's underlayment for tile flooring.

What no seafood

no dood... didn't you know???? we're all going fishing in Ben's tank, you gotta bring your swimming suit and be ready for tons of fun trying to catch Ben's fishes for lunch :D :lol: ....j/k

Back