In Wall - going for it! - seeking your ideas/feedback/advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Good Tip Duane. I called them and he recomended a product that they use for surfboards which is highly UV resistant.

It's made by 3M and is a clear coat
it's called SB112

It's made for surfboards. What do you all think abou this?

Here is the stuff. Looks good. I am not to sure about how it sticks to metals though since i never used it. It is also more work being a 3 part mix. Would i use it? yes. I like to try new things. Scooter made a good point about prepping the material.
Here's some info on it for you:
http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?NameProdHeader=System+3+Epoxy+Filler
http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/pdf/msds/SB112msds.pdf
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=577771
The last one is a forum and people like us talking about it. Sounds like something i will have to try in the future.
Aside from all this, like Krish i have to say awesome job no matter what you end up doing. You tank has sparked life even into my wife on my in wall ideas. Thanks! :)

Ben,

I have successfully kept a blue-throat trigger. Very peaceful fish and the safest of the triggerfish in a reef system. It did not bother any of my inverts and cleaner shrimps or clams I had in my 90g tank. However, I do suggest that the shrimp are in the tank before the triggerfish are placed in the tank. I am planning on getting either this fish or the pink tail trigger once my tank is more established.

HTH,
Kirk

Thanks frankie, thanks Kirk...

Kirk - I'm seriously considering a blue throat as a new addition.

Back to the clear coat issue.. My local automotive store carries this product:

wheel_05.jpg

it's called Duplicolor Wheel coating and it's for metals including aluminum. More info can be found here: http://www.duplicolor.com/products/wheel.html

the reason this is attractive is b/c it's easy and simple to apply and I can do it in a day or two. I have a feeling the other stuff will take me quite a few days to do...

Final Answer on the Finish for the lighting RACK - let's stick a fork in it already, ehh?? After calling a wealth of body shops, auto supply stores, and marine shops in the area as well as a few flooring places, it turns out I'm not going to apply anything to it.. :lol::lol::lol:

That's right, with adonizing option out of the way (would've been my best option) I, I'm going to keep it just the way it is - O' natural. t will corrode over time, yes.. However, when I notice corrosion, I'll restore it back to it's original lustur and shine with some polish.

This polish came highly recomended and even has it's own handy dandy applicator that I can put onto my drill to make polishing simple.

8015216.jpg

I hope to be able to install her in the next couple of days! yipee!

Ben

I'm glad you made a decision. Now can we get back to some pictures.. I'm tired of all this reading. I'm a visual kind of guy.. :D

You know that was a thought I was about to say, saltwater will turn it whitish but probably not bad enough to worry anytime soon. Still a spray clear may add to lessing that cleaning if necessary.

Ben, the only other advice I can give to the blue throat, is the hardier ones come from Hawaii. Take this for what it is worth. :D

Kirk

Hey Ben it was great seeing that tank in person last night! It is very nice and done right. I hope all your sps pull through for you, I am sure they will...

See you at the BBQ!

Matt

moving the furnace/water heater

The hot water heater is okay,however the furnace being located in close proximity will cause corrosion problems with the furnace heat exchanger.Make sure the return air ductwork is well sealed to limit salt residue from being drawn into the air.

Amazing! Thanks for the link Snowboarda...I hope Class Clown you play a little Chris Isaak for me at your party.

Questions:

Ben, does the fact that your new tank walls and bottom are not already coated with nitrifying/dentrifying (whatever) bacteria mean that you are going to have a mini-cycle in your tank? Do people get a cycle of some sort every time something new is added? New sand, for example?

Back