Injured mandarin

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reiple, I had a CBS in my tank with my previous Mandarin and that's what I believe killed it. But my Mandarin was pretty beat up when I found him the next morning. He was barely alive when I took him out to medicate him. He didn't make it though. I took the CBS out and put him in the refugium where he eventually died. Not that I wanted him too but he did. I left the tank sit without a Mandarin for some time to let the pod population build back up and now have this one.

BTW Terry I read all of your articles word for word and they are very informative and helpful thank you very much for your time.

Hi Angelcrx,
I am glad that you found my Website and enjoyed some of the articles there. I will be adding to the library. I had a pair of coral baned shrimp for years with my mandarins and they never bothered them. actually over a period of 30 years I have kept more than one pair of mandarins with coral banded shrimp. Lot of things will eat the mandarin once it is dead. The CB could have been the cuprit that injured the fish, but I have my doubts.

reiple,

Female mandarins will sometimes get impacted with eggs that they cannot pass. This can cause an internal bacterial infection. If anything attacked the live mandarin I would suspect the eel.

Cheers,
Terry B

All4funwfish,

I am not going to get into endorsing any brands, but you can find them for under fifty dollars and you don't have to adjust them for temperature. They are a good investment.

Cheers,
Terry B

Well the emergency is over, she didn't make it. She seemed to be doing good last night and I dropped some pods and bought live worms for her and she was doing fine this morning when I left for work. But when I came home she was gone. I don't think I will buy another one for a long time. I don't understand why she went that way because all my params were perfect and even the red slime is gone. I did however find a strange looking scale (shell like when the shrimps shed and it looks like just a leg) floating in the tank and as soon as I can get someone to ID or get a pic so I can post it I will. Thanks all for the help.

Angelscrx said:
Reiple, I had a CBS in my tank with my previous Mandarin and that's what I believe killed it. .....

Yes Angelscrx I also believe the CBS killed other things like my cleaner shrimps. Now that it died the lysmata shrimp i added surivived (I added 5 before and they all disappear!).

thanks...

Thanks Terry. I kinda love the eel. I gues no more mandarins for me. Thank you for the info...

reiple said:
Yes Angelscrx I also believe the CBS killed other things like my cleaner shrimps. Now that it died the lysmata shrimp i added surivived (I added 5 before and they all disappear!).

thanks...

I have heard of CBS attacking other shrimps. I hate it because they are so pretty but hey it happens. I will only admire them and Mandarins from a far.

Plus the CBS are very hardy. Too bad. But i never will add one anymore. ;)

Back