Jabao pumps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

trido

Fish Tank Freak
As many here know, I try to not be a cheapskate in this hobby. I try to support my LFS, give back to my fellow hobbyist, buy quality equipment where its absolutely critical and save money where I can on equipment and livestock. After eight years of reef keeping I've had over five major brands of skimmers, gone through the MH-VHO-T-5 and now LED's, closed loops, Wavy Seas, Wave makers of a few brands, and many power heads including Vortech, Tunze, Maxi-jet, and Hydor.

Since I've set my 210 back up in February I've been using two Tunze 6105's and four Hydor Evo 1050's set up as a reversible gyre for flow. A gyre basically is a whirlpool in any direction whether it be side to side or front to back. At any one time, there has been one Tunze and two Hydor's running for about 5000GPH of flow not including the 1000+GPH return pump. Then it reverses.

With my coral sales recently I decided would invest in some more flow. Of course as your acros grow into big colonies the flow gets cut in half no matter how much you think you have. Before I broke my tank down in '09' I had 20,000GPH of flow and I wondered if it was enough. I bought a pair of the new Jabao MP-40's Sunday and they arrived Wednesday in the mail.

I posted this on FB earlier tonight after figuring out what was going to work for my tank for now.

It took me two days to get them dialed in and quiet enough to keep my wife happy. Last night I tried something different with my new Jabao's. I set the one on the far end of the tank to W1 and adjusted the pulse to create a double wave, and then I set the second on constant at the lowest speed. I then set my two tunzes to alternate flow for about 60 seconds each. My wife is happy, I have a cool double wave that effects the LPS and leather in the gentle back and forth motion and my fish are swimming hard which tells me the all my SPS are getting great flow. These Jabao's rock, and so far, are well worth $178 for the pair. Far better than $650 for another pair of Tunze's.

Last edited:
I have been hearing some really good things about those pumps! Exceptional price with amazing performance! I actually have these in my 125 or 180 gallon upgrade plans since I'm planning on spending extra $$$ on an awesome skimmer. I'm sure you'll love their versatility, but let me know how they do in the long run.

I have a WP-40 on my 75 and totally LOVE it. Its been about 6 months, and performance hasn't deteriorated. Even the light sensor has worked well for mine, and that is the one thing most noted as an issue from what I've read. At this point, I wouldn't buy another brand propeller pump...
I wish the local stores would carry them, but I was told by at least one owner that finding a supplier has been impossible.

One thing to note. I have a friend who has one that leeched some crap into the tank. Not sure what it was, but it didn't make anything happy. I always run things for at least a couple hours or overnight in a bucket just to be sure, but he didn't. It turned the water yellow, but didn't "seem" oily. I'd suggest anyone who gets one run them overnight to be sure. Could have been one bad pump, but I'd rather be safe, and when I get my next one (which might have to be soon thanks to the great haul I got from Duane last weekend) I will be sure to run it for a little while longer rather than chance it.

I've been tempted to try them, but I stop and look at my Tunzes and their track record.
I have two 6055's that are almost 7 years old and two 6105's that are about 5 years old and doing what they do. Pump a lot of water and are silent.
To me, that is important.

I truly hope you get years of service from them, but I'm sticking with my Tunzes.

im glad to hear your enjoying yours ive got a wp-25 coming to me from a group buy but it won't be here till the middle of Dec. Ill post up a a review when i receive it.

Any research on how well the motors, and bearings hold up?

AFAIK they've only been on the American scene since early this year. TJL was explaining that he's heard from a couple sources that jebao is the more popular pump in China used by the hobbyists there.

The seller I picked my pumps up from is based out of Arizona so my free shipping was very quick and the seller also replied quickly when I e-mailed asking about the light sensors that didn't come with my packaging. The seller is mailing out a pair without any issue's about it or any questions. Great customer service IMO.

Did you just say AFLAC?

Think I might just have to splurge. Was not happy with the value and noise relative to cost on the vortechs, Having it all in the tank seems like a very fair tradeoff for the lowish level of investment required. Was going to add another power-head anyway (from stash in garage.)
Perhaps, pull all the clutter out of the tank and replace with a pair of AFLACs and goose the flow up

I've been tempted to try them, but I stop and look at my Tunzes and their track record.
I have two 6055's that are almost 7 years old and two 6105's that are about 5 years old and doing what they do. Pump a lot of water and are silent.
To me, that is important.

I truly hope you get years of service from them, but I'm sticking with my Tunzes.
Someone had to give them a shot to see them run 6 years though.
I can not sat they will pass the time test, but for the price, testing if they would seemed worth it. Time will tell, but they are leaps and bounds over anything else I have tried at or around this price point.

I have a WP-40 on my 75 and totally LOVE it. Its been about 6 months, and performance hasn't deteriorated. Even the light sensor has worked well for mine, and that is the one thing most noted as an issue from what I've read. At this point, I wouldn't buy another brand propeller pump...
I wish the local stores would carry them, but I was told by at least one owner that finding a supplier has been impossible.

The guy from Red C (I forgot his name) bought my WP40. He said he was going to sell it in his store soon.

cool. i always prefer to support my local folks if possible. not only do i think we're blessed with a lot of great local store here, but you also never know when you are going to need something at the last moment and can't wait for shipping. i know the local stores have saved me more than once. :)

The guy from Red C (I forgot his name) bought my WP40. He said he was going to sell it in his store soon.

Rob is his name. Great guy and will literally tell you anything and everything he knows about this hobby if you ask! Great resource of knowledge and some pretty awesome frags to boot!

I think that I was one of the first to get a Jebao wp-40 back in February. It has run great and quiet. Yesterday it quit working. I cleaned it and still nothing. Impeller looks good. I emailed the company and they said they would replace it. So I'm happy and will probably buy a second one.

I picked mine up from a seller on e-bay called "jebao us". My photo sensors that weren't in the packaging showed up in the mail today and I couldnt be happier. This Seller will have more business from me in the future provided he has the products I'm looking to buy.

If there is enough people interested maybe someone can start a group buy? I know there is a site where if you buy 8 wp-25s you can get them for 56$ each shipped. The next discount increment they have is at 24 units and you have to ask for the price. At least it sounds like there is enough people, I know I want one!

I think that I was one of the first to get a Jebao wp-40 back in February. It has run great and quiet. Yesterday it quit working. I cleaned it and still nothing. Impeller looks good. I emailed the company and they said they would replace it. So I'm happy and will probably buy a second one.

For the price of Jebo, I did not expect good customer service. For them responding is a bonus IMO.

Back