Jesse's 40B with 20L sump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Isn't that about the same stock list you had for your 335 system, short the rabbit fish, yellow tang and purple tang?! ;)

Nice stock list. Glad you got the tank up and running again. =)

Yeah me too it was a bit of a hectic weekend but now with the new front to the pump i don't seem to have the micro bubbles anymore either the tank looked really good today.

Isn't that about the same stock list you had for your 335 system, short the rabbit fish, yellow tang and purple tang?! ;)

Well in the big tank i never had a male anthias or any wrasse. i wanted a tail spot blenny but was not patient enough to wait for one to come in. But I will say that lawnmower is an algae eating champ! I think i would like to add a small swimming fish when i get back from vacation. Thanks for all the advice and comments during the build. Hi Ho Hi Ho it's off to the Philippines I go!

yeah i only had 3 females. i was told one would make the switch to male. Never had the tank up long enough to see it happen. i also miss having a rabbit fish they grow to fast for my 40B.

True. I remember the anthias though. just never saw a male one i dont think.

Well I'm back from vacation and when i got back the tank had a major algea outbreak. 3-4 of the big turbo snails died while i was on my month long vacation as well as 5 fish. Lost all the emerald crabs too. Did a major water change and got rid of a lot of the dead and decaying materials. Now reading nitrate and nitrite at 0 and and starting the re-building process. Lost many corals as well. I have to say it was a little sad but not un-expected when you have a non-reefer watching your tank. But i am thankful for all the livestock that made it. the 5 fish that bit the dust:

male lyretail anthia
royal gramma
lawnmower blenny
hectors goby
yellow target mandarin

When I got home I added a starry blenny after the water change and he's helping with the algea problem. this weekend some emerald crabs and maybe some hermits will be added to further help the cleanup.

Thanks the Philippines was amazing. Did some snorkeling and helmet diving. Although while helmet diving i was more worried about my filipina wife who can't swim and was kinda freaking out. I saw some of the biggest Maroon Clowns I've ever seen and got attacked by Huma-Huma fish. Those guys are aggressive.

Thanks the Philippines was amazing. Did some snorkeling and helmet diving. Although while helmet diving i was more worried about my filipina wife who can't swim and was kinda freaking out. I saw some of the biggest Maroon Clowns I've ever seen and got attacked by Huma-Huma fish. Those guys are aggressive.

Sounds like you had a great time. Sorry about your loss while you were gone. What exactly happened to the tank? You don't get dead fish and snails just from excessive algae.

Sounds like you had a great time. Sorry about your loss while you were gone. What exactly happened to the tank? You don't get dead fish and snails just from excessive algae.

My boss said 4-5 huge turbo snails died (fom un-known reasons) and as a result I'm guessing the ammonia and ph went crazy and that caused more stuff to die which made the problem worse and worse until i got back. I guess that's why they call it fish husbandry. you neglect your tank for a month and bad stuff happens. The male anthia and the lawnmower blenny were huge fish and their decay along with the nasty decay of the snails was to much for this small of a tank. Thus the hair algae got out of control and during the downward spiral some corals bit the dust which I'm sure also contributed to the problem. Since I've been back nothing has died and most things seem to be recovering.

Last edited:
=( What a horrible thing to come back to.

That would have been awesome going snorkeling. Did you get any pictures? Please post them if you did.

No pictures from snorkeling but i got some from the dive. I'll go find the CD and post some if they are any good. Have not looked yet.

My boss said 4-5 huge turbo snails died (fom un-known reasons) and as a result I'm guessing the ammonia and ph went crazy and that caused more stuff to die which made the problem worse and worse until i got back. I guess that's why they call it fish husbandry. you neglect your tank for a month and bad stuff happens. The male anthia and the lawnmower blenny were huge fish and their decay along with the nasty decay of the snails was to much for this small of a tank. Thus the hair algae got out of control and during the downward spiral some corals bit the dust which I'm sure also contributed to the problem. Since I've been back nothing has died and most things seem to be recovering.

That's a real bummer. good luck getting things on track again. Did you hear about my misfortune while you were gone? http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f14/ultimate-oops-probably-killed-all-my-corals-58245/

Let me know if you need a few frags, I will throw you a couple.:D

Hey that's cool how it put the name of the thread on my link rather than the script. Is that new, or did I do something different?:lol:

That's cool thanks for the support and offer. I'll probably wait a little while before i add anything else to the system to make sure all is well. I'll be doing another water change this weekend and I think that will really help. The fish and corals that remain are doing well and even recovering. checking water quality daily and watching this system close.

Yeah I read about your light falling in while i was away, and right before the SRS meeting. Glad your back up and running as well.

That's a real bummer. good luck getting things on track again. Did you hear about my misfortune while you were gone? http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f14/ultimate-oops-probably-killed-all-my-corals-58245/

Let me know if you need a few frags, I will throw you a couple.:D

Sorry to hear about all that Jesse! That sucks bad. However I do have some good news for you, when I get back on Sunday we can work out a time for you to swing by and check out the tank and I'll hook you up with some frags to restart your tank! Good to hear you made it back and didnt decide to stay! hahaa

If I had not run out of Philippine pesos I might have tried to stay longer. It was hard to come back to freezing weather and snow now. Was really enjoying the san miguel beer and 15 year old tanduay rhum (like $8 a bottle) I was hoping the warm weather would tag along but no luck sorry all. LoL

tanduay_15yr_rum007_small.jpg

Sorry to hear about all that Jesse! That sucks bad. However I do have some good news for you, when I get back on Sunday we can work out a time for you to swing by and check out the tank and I'll hook you up with some frags to restart your tank! Good to hear you made it back and didnt decide to stay! hahaa

I love san miguel! (gf is filipina) as a side note my grandfather while in the navy loved the Philippines so that next to miller light is all he has

Last edited:
I wonder if you can buy san miguel anywhere in Spokane? Now i have to keep my eyes on the lookout. I suppose I'll have the check the local asian stores and see what i can find.

Back