Jesse's 40B with 20L sump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Next time I'm on base I'll have to check for you.

Sweet. I already miss drinking all afternoon and evening with my in-laws. Going back to work kinda sucks after having 5 weeks off. In the mean time i have moved all the corals and zoo's to my home tank to recover and I'm waiting for the 40B to balance itself out and start showing signs of recovery. I'm using the pulsing corals and zoanthids as a wellness guide to move the corals back in. As soon as they open back up and start to thrive I'll start the re-building process. The fish seem to be doing well except the starry blenny that went carpet surfing. I hate it when fish do that.

Jesse, I have a 40 breeder and the same skimmer. I struggled bad for a while. I am now enjoying some major success. I changed one thing. The amount of fish I stocked. I went from a VERY similar stock list (before your crash), down to two clowns and a royal gramma. Not saying you have to cut down to my level, but just wanted to give you the heads up so you can maybe avoid the headaches I went though. I'll post some photo soon so you can see the difference.

Jesse, I have a 40 breeder and the same skimmer. I struggled bad for a while. I am now enjoying some major success. I changed one thing. The amount of fish I stocked. I went from a VERY similar stock list (before your crash), down to two clowns and a royal gramma. Not saying you have to cut down to my level, but just wanted to give you the heads up so you can maybe avoid the headaches I went though. I'll post some photo soon so you can see the difference.

Yeah that's good advice. I've managed (reluctantly) to not add any fish for awhile. Waiting for the skimmer/fuge/fish to find their balance I'm trying to be patient but as we all know it can be tough. You should put a link to your build thread in your signature. I love following along with other peoples build.

I wonder if you can buy san miguel anywhere in Spokane? Now i have to keep my eyes on the lookout. I suppose I'll have the check the local asian stores and see what i can find.

I am always looking for new beers to try and a friend of mine told me about San Miguel. The asian markets do not have a license to sell beer so they do not carry it.

He has brought some back for Los Angeles from time to time. Maybe we could find it in Seattle.

I am always looking for new beers to try and a friend of mine told me about San Miguel. The asian markets do not have a license to sell beer so they do not carry it.

He has brought some back for Los Angeles from time to time. Maybe we could find it in Seattle.

Sweet now we got 3 people on the lookout. If any of us finds some we'll have to enjoy them as a group Filipino style.

I have purchased San Miguel from Fred Meyer before. Check out their beer aisle. They have always had it when I looked for it. Something like $10.99 for a six-pack.

Talked to my buddy today, they said take the 105 North and get off on Vermont. Make a right on Vermont and you will see a little liquior store on the left. I asked him to grab a couple cases next time he is coming to town. When that is, they do not have a clue.

Talked to my buddy today, they said take the 105 North and get off on Vermont. Make a right on Vermont and you will see a little liquior store on the left. I asked him to grab a couple cases next time he is coming to town. When that is, they do not have a clue.

I'm ready when you are! How did this get changed from a build thread to a beer forum. LoL

It seems I'm loosing the battle in this tank. Today a lemon peal angel ate the eyes off my fire shrimp. The fire shrimp then started to hang on the back of the angel but soon fell off and went belly up. I asked the lemon peal angel what his problem was but he would not give me a straight answer. Anyone else ever witness something like this?

On a brighter note I ordered 2x Hydor Koralia Nano Evolution 425 gph** to add some flow to the display. once i get them up and running i'll take some pictures of the now almost empty tank.

Last edited:
I love Angels, epically the Lemon Peel, so active... if your not going to do SPS keep him over having shrimp, they are boring anyway!

:eek: I would get rid of him. Not good. SOB!

He was hanging around my skunk cleaner shrimp too I'll give him 1 more chance.

I love Angels, epically the Lemon Peel, so active... if your not going to do SPS keep him over having shrimp, they are boring anyway!

The shrimp actually go after most the fish in the tank and do a good job cleaning the fish's mouth and gills, they also pick up food that falls to the bottom.

wow that sucks! Those lemon peels are little con artists! Hold his fins to the fire!

Yeah not sure if the shrimp was dying first and he was just helping the process or if he was the cause. I have a pair of fire shrimp in my home tank that i love to watch at feeding time. Like little spiders. My son calls them spiderman!

The skunk cleaner shrimp was happily cleaning the lemon peal this AM I guess they are friends now. But i hate how the Angel hovers over the shrimp looking for an opening to pick off an eye ball. I'm watching him watching the shrimp.

Good luck. Did the skunk exhibit any signs of it being sick? That sounds like one mean fish. Poor shrimpy.

No he was out and eating when i chummed the tank and was looking good to me. But I have to admit i wasn't looking to see if he was missing his eyeballs when i fed everyone.

Oh. I thought you said you saw him eat the eyeballs? It ended up dying, right? Or is it still alive? If that fish attacked it, it is probably the culprit. :mad:

Back