Jesse's tank build!(omg pls help =P)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I wish I had better news to report, but things are still teetering. Some of the STN seemed to be stopped by the glueing and stable alk/calc. However, some of it has not. My slimer, and blue tort have lost about 25% of their skin. My remaining table frags are continuing to stn. I never succeeded in getting my red/green brain to extend feeding tentacles, and it ended up dieing. One of my favorite coral, and it was wild obviously so I feel especially bad =\ The rest of the coral seemed to have stopepd STN, or are even growing a little. Something is using up about 1 dkh per day of alkalinity, so there is defintly growth somewhere, and its not coraline. Hopefully Ill have better news to report next week.

I wish I had better news to report, but things are still teetering. Some of the STN seemed to be stopped by the glueing and stable alk/calc. However, some of it has not. My slimer, and blue tort have lost about 25% of their skin. My remaining table frags are continuing to stn. I never succeeded in getting my red/green brain to extend feeding tentacles, and it ended up dieing. One of my favorite coral, and it was wild obviously so I feel especially bad =\ The rest of the coral seemed to have stopepd STN, or are even growing a little. Something is using up about 1 dkh per day of alkalinity, so there is defintly growth somewhere, and its not coraline. Hopefully Ill have better news to report next week.

Ouch! not fun at all Jesse - sad to hear about and especially the brain too. that was my favorite as well.

Wow, Jesse...so sorry to hear about your brain (and your other corals). What on earth could be causing this?? :confused: You must be so frustrated.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30371 Thats my thread over in kevins forum Jan. Still trying to figure it out =\

The whole thing has had me kind of bummed, and working double time with the testing and tweaking to try to figure out my problem, so I appologize for not taking more pictures. As soon as I my LR is finished curing Ill start a proper tank thread for it. Hopefully by then Ill have some happy corals to photograph.

Peace,
Jesse

Oh man I can't catch a break. So It looks like the LR I was getting ready to put in the main tank has cirolanid isopods=\ I found this out while trying to catch a mantis shrimp thats in there as well.. SOB.... Apparantly they take 2 to 4 months to starve out....

Oh man I can't catch a break. So It looks like the LR I was getting ready to put in the main tank has cirolanid isopods=\ I found this out while trying to catch a mantis shrimp thats in there as well.. SOB.... Apparantly they take 2 to 4 months to starve out....

Jeeze oh pete's jesse. Are you positive they are Cirolanid isopods? not knowing what they were, I googled it and found this "If you think you have Cirolanid isopods, they are commonly mistaken for Cirolanid isopods when people first discover them in their aquariums, but Sphaeromatids are beneficial scavengers that should remain in your tank. You can quickly check to see if your isopods are Sphaeromatids by isolating one of them and seeing if it can roll up into a ball. Sphaeromatids can do this while most other isopods, including Cirolanids, cannot."

have you done rolly ball test?

I wonder if anyone could lend you some LR to get going, I'd offer some if I had some but don't have any extra at the moment. I really think you need some to get your tank back in shape.

I flipped a couple of them on their backs and they did not ball :doubt: After reading how they can bite you I was reluctant to put one in my hand and try to roll it :eek:
Plus I caught them in a shrimp trap for the mantis, meaning they are meat eaters instead of algae grazers.

So If I for sure want to rid myself of them, I can either:
A)wait 3-4 months
B)nuke my rock with enough interceptor to kill every living thing on them...

What does one do?..

If you think you've got the bad ones, I personally would nuke the rock with interceptor and then reseed the rocks with live pods. Their reproduction cycle is only 2 weeks so if you put a couple of bottles of OceanPods in there you would be okay shortly thereafter.

You could test with just a bit of the rock to see how much interceptor it's going to take to kill the little buggers.

I flipped a couple of them on their backs and they did not ball :doubt: After reading how they can bite you I was reluctant to put one in my hand and try to roll it :eek:
Plus I caught them in a shrimp trap for the mantis, meaning they are meat eaters instead of algae grazers.

So If I for sure want to rid myself of them, I can either:
A)wait 3-4 months
B)nuke my rock with enough interceptor to kill every living thing on them...

What does one do?..

If interceptor will kill them, I'd also vote for option 2. 3-4 months seems like a crazy long time to wait and in my opinion, you need LR now.

Sorry to hear about this. I wish I had some advice to offer that was easy. If things get real desperate my frag system is real empty and there is plenty of room for all of your inhabitants in there if need be. Just let me know.

Dude...hit up Jayson at C.F.I, he will build you the most gangster tank out there. Not only will it be bullet proof but it will look sick as well! I have helped him build many tanks and the time and detail that is put into each one make it unique and highly desirable. You will be totally satisfied! Its not world class aquariums for nothing...make the right choice, go with C.F.I!

Dude...hit up Jayson at C.F.I, he will build you the most gangster tank out there. Not only will it be bullet proof but it will look sick as well! I have helped him build many tanks and the time and detail that is put into each one make it unique and highly desirable. You will be totally satisfied! Its not world class aquariums for nothing...make the right choice, go with C.F.I!

Coming in a bit late there, but I already went with elos =P I have expereinced cfi myself, he built my sump. That having been said, I chose to go with elos.

The last month in a half has been pretty dissapointing so I haven't bothered posting pics. Ive watched all my corals go from awesome when I first put them in the tank, to 80% of them STNing and loosing their color. As of a week or so ago, things finally started to turn around. STN appears to have stopped on all fronts, with most corals starting to regrow base over their super glue bandages. Color is coming back slowly, with new growth areas showing the greatest signs of improvment. My rabbitfish has fattened up nicely, and now has blue spots starting to appear all over his body.

The LR is antoher story. I have tried trapping the mantis several times now but with no luck. The first trap netted me about a dozen isopods. This latest trap housed just one, so hopefully I am winning the battle on that front. How long does it take to starve a mantis shrimp? I guess Ill keep trying to trap him and hope I get lucky. I havent seen it since the first week I got the rocks, but I havent seen its corpse either. Its been almost three weeks since I got the rocks.

Well, thats it for now. In the next few days Ill try to get a real tank thread up. So many corals in there already! cant wait to get some rocks in there and get them off the bottom.

Peace

Glad to hear things have turned around regarding the corals. I guess your LR is going to keep you busy for a while. Good luck

weird Duane.. I was thinking about giving Jesse a nudge today myself... Jesse, hope you're doing well my man and your haveing some better success with the new setup. Would love to get an update with some pics.... :)

Back