jlehigh's 280 Pic Blowout!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yal' Ready for the big one? I spent the last 2.5hrs taking these and posting so I hope you enjoy. It's amazing how much better pictures turn out with clearer water ;)

Nana.jpg

Gomezi.jpg

GomeziMacro.jpg

I_Forgot.jpg

Efflo3.jpg

EffloMacro.jpg

Digitata.jpg

BaliSlimer.jpg

spongebob lover said:
those are some nice pictures dood :) ... hey when are you gonna post a picture of the monster skimmer in action?

Thank ya. The skimmer is still a few weeks out. I installed a utility sink in the garage with my Saturday instead of on the skimmer..

Well you wanted to see the "Monster" skimmer in action... but I cant do that yet.. BUT how about a few pics of FRANKEN-SKIMMER!!!!

"Frank" is my good buddy... He didnt hate me when I cut him in half... or when I drilled a bunch of holes in him... not even when I plugged his original ports and took his airstones..

Well I was planning on using this pictured Sedra tyo inject Ozone into the "Monster Skimmer", but what a waste of potential until the Monster is ready for it :) So in an artificialy influenced stupor (Good Red Wine) and after watching an action movie I decided to add it as a recirc venturi onto "Frank". ;) So now Frank is a bit more Gassy than he used to be..

SkimmerMod1.jpg

SkimmerMod.jpg

Nice shots on page 7 man! You've got some really nice looking corals! I think that is cool Frank let you do all those things to him:shock: . Should have given him a girls name though because that sounds kinda funny:p

You just can't stop can you John? LOL...Too funny. Is it producing any more skimmate with that mod?

Hey John, is there any particular reason that you put the pump on that way around? I am just curious because I have never seen one like that.

Thanks Krish! I was really happy how they turned out with my OLD digital camera.

Reed: You know me... Their is about a 50% increase of air in the chamber and overnight I did see some good skimmate made, so I am hopefull... though it doesnt matter so much once the other skimmer is built..

Yea Tom I know most of the recirc's euro-reef and a few other do just have the pumps mounted lower with a curved fitting for the output. Looking at those didnt make sense to me from a functional perspective, but definately from a cost perspective. They pull the water from the base by the drain and inject it just a few inches higher using their custin curved fitting.

I wanted to try pulling the water from closer to the top of the chamber and inject the air and water closer to the drain. This way water is recirculated and the air still has a longer distance to travel.. TBH I couldnt decide which practice I liked better but I went with what I did.

I think the reason John is not because of cost, but that could be part of it. I think the main reason is so that the intake of the pump is sucking water that is not already saturated with bubbles. I think the pump is more effective when drawing clean mostly bubble free water vs. drawing water that is already full of bubbles and trying to add more. But hey if it seems to be working well then that is great!

hmm That makes sense.. It just raises a bunch of other questions in my mind about the quality of the water being pulled from the bottom and the dwell time on the bubbles.

I also wonder if sucking water already partly saturated in bubbles shakes the protein loose off those recycled bubbles... Dunno.. It was a good mod for the time investment though :)

Update:

A few weeks ago I picked up a marbled starfish. It's a very cool speciment and has been very mobile however this was the first time it wandered onto the display panel.

MarbleStar.jpg

MarbleStar1.jpg

I guess I've been MIA for a while... Allot has changed in 6months. Really all the changes started 3 months ago and all were bad if not devestating. I aqcuired some wierd pathogen in the tank that has wiped out a number of my colonies including my favorites.. On the brighter side I things I have set-up a L-shaped 210 gal Fish-only tank (running for a few months) in the Home Theatre I recently built. It's admitedly georgous LOL. My reef depresses me..

Here is a picture before the beginning of the decline:

I'll take an updated pic this weekend.

Back