Just got shocked!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dieselbreath

Lost in the salty water
I was in the tank with my turkey baster blowing off the rocks. I started to pull my hand out of the tank and accidently brushed up against the Tek light 6 bulb fixture, (it is brand new). The only lights that are on at this time are the actinics, the outermost bulb. I got zapped pretty good on the hand.

What would be causing this?

Is it a fire hazard?

What can be done to fix it?

Thanks for the info in advance!!

Jason

I have had few light fixtures do this as well. Basicly just send it back and tell them its a saftey hazard. They will either replace it or refund your money.

Don't know that I can get another like it! It happens to be a limited edition, they only made just a hundred or so of this color. I'm guessing a bad ground also. Is it much of a safety issue, if I were not home say?? Hate to leave the lights off, but would hate even more to come home and not have a house left to call HOME!

Jason

Last edited:
Make sure you have a grounding probe in your water. I used to get little zaps on any hangnails on my fingers(I work with my hands) and also when I would brush against reflectors when my hands were in the tank, now I've got a probe and I don't get shocked:)

I experienced something similar with my sunpod, when i had my hands in the water and touched the sunpod i would get a slight shock, what you felt sounds like a strong shock and i agree that it would be a good idea to contact the manufacture

hmmm.... it shouldn't be lighting you up. I have had very good luck with Sunlight Supply and I love their T-5's. Try calling them tomarrow and ask for Sam. He's the western region rep.

Sounds like the outer fixture should be grounded, sometimes when installing these the chassis ground is not attached, you'll probably see the grounding information on the installation instructions but I would call also.

Make sure you have a grounding probe in your water. I used to get little zaps on any hangnails on my fingers(I work with my hands) and also when I would brush against reflectors when my hands were in the tank, now I've got a probe and I don't get shocked:)

No probe here!!! What brand do you guys like the most? Sounds like a very good idea. One more thing to plug into the wall somwhere.

Jason

Just found a bit more out!! Would it make sence that I got shocked if my heater was toast. I looked at my temp this afternoon when I came home. Tank temp is 74.7degrees. So I looked at the heater to find that it had exploded. Got the power turned off on it and have removed it. Is there anything in the heater that could be bad for the water. The heater was an Ebo Jager 250 watt. I just put the heater out of my top off barrel in the tank, hopefully it will get the temp back up.

Would you folks reccomend any one particular brand or style of heater???

Any input?????????????????

Jason

These heaters aren't meant for total submersion all the time, they will state that on the package instructions, I see people that actually do keep them underwater & this is no good & yes in that case it can get you shocked. If it is just the Pyrex under water then unless you have a broken top or bare wires exposed, I doubt that would be why you were shocked & from the light hood would be another cause either way. You must ground the ballast & the reflector chassis on light fixtures otherwise you can get a shock if you provide a path to ground somehow. If I would need a heater I would get whatever kind you want & buy a separate controller like the Rancho controller, it will become very reliable & worth the $70 somewhat dollars.

Looks like it was mounted deep into the water line, you should have about an inch of Pyrex showing?

There was usually about a half inch of purex showing. It would go under when I turned off the return pump to feed. It was at an angle from the front of the sump to the back, since it was so long. The bracket you see is an old bracket that was off another heater. That heater was one of two that were in my 80 gallon fresh cichlid tank that I had a few years ago. The other still is working flawless in that fresh tank.

DB

Well for sure that was one problem but you still need to ground your lighting properly, at least call them & see what the recommend.

Back