Katrina's 90 gallon Reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Katrina, you have done a great job! Nice looking system you have. I agree w/ everyone else, you should have been showing this off all along!!!

Thanks very much :)

In my own defense I have to point out that it's really hard to post when your nose is pressed against the glass :lol: :lol:

I made a trip out to Katrina's today to see a couple of new tank inhabitants (pretending to take my daughter to see the 2 rescued kittens).

The Hawkfish is too adorable for his own good. The trigger is so cute, and Katrina and I were fond of the 1980's blue eyeshadow she appears to be wearing :) . The photo of her looks like she's kissing her own reflection.....talk about vain - sheesh :rolleyes: . The clam pics I couldn't resist taking, they look incredible, especially under the new lighting.

Disco trigger
:lol:

My tank was 1 year old on September 10th and I bought it new lights for its birthday. I've attached a tank shot with the new lights installed - Sunlight Supply Reef Optix III pendants, Blue Wave ballasts, and 250w AB 10k DE bulbs. I removed 2 of my VHO tubes so I now only have 220w actinic supplementation and am much less likely to electrocute myself by knocking a bulb into the water. :eek:

Thanks for taking the pics Nikki--fish are very difficult to photograph (and the kittens really want Jeff to come over :lol: ) but maybe we should try feeding them next time so they aren't so aware of the camera.

Curt, it would be great to see you again :)

I have some pics of the tank in sections that I'll try to post later

Thanks everyone.

I'm not really happy with the other tanks photos I took, but I do want to post a couple of coral pics. (I really need to use my tripod). The first one is a pocillopora, but I'm uncertain as to whether it's a meandrina or a eydouxi. Either way, it was completely brown when I bought it, but has slowly taken on a pink coloration. I'm hoping the change will continue. The flame hawk seems to like this coral, although he often perches on the monti caps, too.

The second pic is a little aquacultured acro samoensis colony I picked up a Premium Aquatics a couple weeks ago. It was a light lavender color and the color seems to be intensifying.

I'm disappointed in these pics, but I'm so excited about the zoos I'm going to post them

The colors are accurate, but the stars don't show up very well in the second shot--bad camera angle

charlie said:
I think the pics are great, but if you want to keep trying, that's fine. I'll tell you what. You keep posting pics and we'll tell you when to quit. :D :D

LOL!!!

Hooked said:
Curt, it would be great to see you again

There's a certain garage sale I want to attend on the 16th. I'll see you then for sure.

I love the zos in the 2nd picture, for sure! LOL - I was accused of photoshopping the clam pictures I posted. I wish I was that savvy in PS, but I think my camera was set on something funky, because everything seemed way overdone - not just these tank pics. I really didn't do much to the pictures except correct a little of the color. When I tried to decrease the saturation the picture didn't look so hot. I need PSE lessons. The pictures are nice to drool at regardless! :D

Actually the color of the clams is pretty accurate, but it does seem highly saturated--not sure why.

I got my viewbox last night and that blue clam has an incredible green edge all the way around it--I have to figure out how to get a pic of that!

Last edited:
Awesome! Post a pic of the viewbox and the clam from the viewbox!!

clam pics

Okay, here are clam pics taken through the viewbox. They both have that green edge. These have only been cropped and resized--no other PS adjustments.

Oops, sorry Nikki--I didn't take a pic of the viewbox. It's just an acrylic pan--a couple of inches deep. It floats on the surface and eliminates the ripples; however, there are reflection and bubbles problems to deal with

Okay charlie--you asked for it :lol:

I think these would be a must have for any Miami Dolphins fan

Great pics of the clams and the "dolphin" zoos. Those may be the only thing that dolphin fans get to cheer for this year.

Ricky don't lose that number......................................... :D

Back