Katrina's 90 gallon Reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Wow, I just cleaned out the collection cup on the G-3--disgusting :eek: The turboflotor never pulled out gunk like that--I'm very happy that I switched. For anyone considering buying one, I'd highly recommend it.

Hooked said:
Wow, I just cleaned out the collection cup on the G-3--disgusting :eek: The turboflotor never pulled out gunk like that--I'm very happy that I switched. For anyone considering buying one, I'd highly recommend it.

Just what I wanted to know, I'm in the market, I have the TF-1000 with the OR 2700 pump, I think I need to up-grade soon. Is the G-3 easy to clean? Does it have a good sized pump?
Thanks in advance!
Scott

Scott it has a Sedra 5000 with the needle wheel. I think it will be easy to clean--the throat of the collection cup is much larger than the turboflotor and is easy to clean. I think cleaning the body will be pretty easy too.I'm sure it's pulling out at least twice a much skimmate as the TF was.

If you haven't seen one, the body is extruded acrylic, not cast and it's kind of crappy looking, but once it's in the sump you can't tell.

Katrina which pump were you using with the turbo-flotor and was it a multi ?
This is what mine looks like every week.

OR 2700--mine never pulled out that much stuff. Even after I tried every mod out there on it. It finally almost completely stopped skimming a couple of weeks ago. I cleaned it twice to try to get it to work. Used a small drill bit to make sure there wasn't anything clogging the venturi. The impeller looks fine :mad: It pumps tons of water, but no fine bubbles. I was tired of messing with it.

Last edited:
I have the OR 2500 and was thiking of upgrading to the 2700 but now after your experience I'll stick with what I have :doubt:

Cheeks, the OR 2500 Is the OR 2700, Just the OR 2700 has the needle wheel not the impeller. It may actually say 2500 on the pump itself. Several times I've had air bubble problems, I went from the aqua bee pump to the OR which did run much better, even spoke with the Aqua Medic folks in Colorado. Thanks Katrina, I will consider them before I decide on which one I want, I was also looking at the bully dog, something in the same style as the Euro Reef also.

WOW Katrina your tank is looking awesome!!!!!!! great growth and great color congrates

Mike

Katrina - everything is looking great! Are you seeing more pods since the Interceptor treatment?

after the second treatment, there weren't any of the really small pods visible. Now I see quite a few in the 'fuge. The mandarin looks like he's doing fine.

By the way, those are new Phoenix bulbs. I really like the color. I adjusted the white balance when I took the pics--it's actually a little bluer looking.

Back