Krish's Bahamian inspired 90 gal

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey Morgan! I actually haven't bought the Tunze stream yet. I'm going to Orlando on the 20th of this month and will shipped there then. Here is where I will be getting it from (one of the sponsors Premium Aquatics) and more than likely it will be the 6010 kit with the magnet mount. http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Tunze_pumps

About the lights, I am running (4) of the 50/50 bulbs. I have (2) on by themselves from 12:00 p.m to 5:00 p.m and then at 5:00, I have all 4 on until about 9:00 p.m. I am doing this to allow the coraline to still grow well during the day under the low light and to keep nuicance algae down a bit. Then, I have all four come on at 5:00 when I get off from work so I can enjoy the full color/brightness. Working well so far. I still may order (2) blue actinics and (2) 10,000k's because I love the look of just running the blue spectrum sometimes...

Hey Krish, if you wanna really clean your tank. Order a few filter socks. 5.99 and a length of hose. put the sock with the hose in the sump, put the open end of the hose up to the return. It will start siphon and then siphon the rocks, and the bottom to your hearts content. You can even use your turkey baster to blow stuff out of the rock and then shiphon it up. Dont have to turn anything off but the lights. HTH

Hmmm...Sounds like a good idea Steve. I use to try something similar to that with using a fine net for the water to run through, but it didn't really catch the small stuff (LOL). With the H.O.T magnum, I have the attachment that converts the intake pipe into a barbed fitting to allow you to use a hose. So I just turn it on and vacuum everything in the tank. The water runs through a micron cartridge and back into the tank. Seems to work pretty good and is basically the same "theory" as your method. I may get the filter socks and use both(LOL)

Just an updated shot of my filtration before I put the back on the stand and add the tunze with the contoller...And oh yeah, here's the newly cleaned sump from earlier on in the week!

It seems I change my mind more than my clothes(LOL) I ordered (2) more Seio's yesterday from Premium Aquatics and just called back Rob this morning to have him change it to a Tunze stream instead. I ordered the 1600 gph one to see how well it works along with the magnet mount and depending on how much I love it, it will order another one with the single controller and replace my Seio's all together. Thanks Rob again for all your help...I think it's about time you get a raise!

Krish just wondering why you put a back on your stand? I am thinking of doing the same.

I have a pump that would be great on my skimmer but it makes to much noise. Noise doesn't really bother me but I have to turn up the TV when I run it.:lol:

Do you have any heat problems with the back on? Do you think it would ruin an external pump if I did this?

Sorry about the skimmer. I had one that did the same thing. It is now a nice closet decoration. It would skim nothing for a week and then it would dump 10 gallons on the floor. It always seemed to happen when I was sleeping.:lol:

Tanks looking great! Keep up the good work!

Brian

Hey Brian! I put the back on to neaten things up a bit and also to cut down on noise. It hasn't made any difference with heat (temperature in the tank) which I'm really glad of. I think that an external pump would be fine being used like that.

Sorry about the skimmer. I had one that did the same thing. It is now a nice closet decoration. It would skim nothing for a week and then it would dump 10 gallons on the floor. It always seemed to happen when I was sleeping

Yeah, I made a few changes which brought it on. I directed in-coming water at the feed pump for my skimmer which means it getting more of the "junk" from the tank and also, I just cleaned out my skimmer and the air injector was slightly clogged with salt. It's definately working better now. I just need to find the right setting for the gate valve. So far I have backed it off 1/2 of a full turn...

Thanks for the compliment on the tank:) I may be trading it in for an acrylic 90 gal soon;)

I did it again! I went back BB today. I thought about it everyday since putting the sand back in and realized that I want it BB. I went to take some photos, but the camera's batteries need to be re-charged so I will add some tomorrow...

shheesh so much beautiful sand waisted

LOL...Not even 10lbs worth.

are you sure you are gonna stick to bb this time?

I think so...We'll see how it goes. I'm really diggin' the idea of being able to see exactly what I have to siphon. Should help to keep my nitrates to a minimum.

Back