Krish's New 75 gal "Thing-a-ma-bob"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

As usual, I just wanted to update my thread. Here are the pictures again:)

The Ballast

I made some swivel brackets out aluminum so that I can direct the 5 inch fans. This is the first part of the bracket

Second part attached

Everything mounted under the canopy and fans tilted

The first 15 seconds after starting up the bulbs

1 1/2 minutes after starting up the bulbs

Full tank shot as best as I can get the camera adjusted. Almost right. The picture doesn't show as much shimmer across the back:)

Chiller is a curse word in this house right now.:lol: I'm really glad the lights didn't add any heat to the tank. I just need to figure out how to drop the temp. I wish I could get a better shot of the tank because I had to alter it a bit, so you could see it, but it is alot more blue than the picture shows. I'll try again:)

Krish - do you have those fans blowing directly on the bulbs, or are they blowing out the canopy? The reason I asked, I think there is a post on here somewhere where mojo talks about fans blowing directly on bulbs changes the color of the bulb.

...found it:
mojoreef said:
I am not a big fan of allowing fans to be blowing on MH bulbs either. the color of the bulb can be changed by cooling or heating the temperature of the bulb.

Krish - do you have those fans blowing directly on the bulbs, or are they blowing out the canopy? The reason I asked, I think there is a post on here somewhere where mojo talks about fans blowing directly on bulbs changes the color of the bulb.

...found it:

Yeah...They are blowing directly on them. Is it a bad thing, like will it cause a problem in my tank?

It is better to blow the air across the water between the bulb and the water surface. Blowing cool air in one side in one side and hot air out the other side would do more blowing the hot bulb air down onto the water surface.

I don't think it will cause a problem with the tank, but I'm not sure what the air blowing on the bulbs does to them. Mike is talking about color change in that post.

You will get better cooling by doing what big t posted. On my canopy right now, I have 4 - 4" fans all blowing out. My canopy is not hot at all.

It is better to blow the air across the water between the bulb and the water surface. Blowing cool air in one side in one side and hot air out the other side would do more blowing the hot bulb air down onto the water surface.

Thanks Tom, I kinda have 2 threads going talking about the same thing:oops: I was just updating photos here and got into the discussion about the heat as well...Well, what if I change the angle then and blow both in in between like you said, and then use a fan in the center, maybe towards the front of the tank, pushing the air back out? Or would you just suggest 1 in and 1 out?

don't think it will cause a problem with the tank, but I'm not sure what the air blowing on the bulbs does to them. Mike is talking about color change in that post.

You will get better cooling by doing what big t posted. On my canopy right now, I have 4 - 4" fans all blowing out. My canopy is not hot at all.

Thanks Nikki...I figured that's what he meant, but I sent him a pm anyway, just to make sure what he meant. If the bulb was cooler that would mean bluer right? In any event, I'll adjuct them when I get home and add in another fan to push out.

NaH2O said:

...found it:

I questioned this to Boomer he said it wouldn't affect the mh light, so this is new to me.

Hey Krish,

Buddy I think you should get a holesaw, cut 2 vents in either end of your canopy and have one fan blowing across the water and the other as an exhaust fan. Other wise you are just blowing the hot air from the lights onto the surface of your water. Just make sure you can switch them around. you may want the exhaust on one side or the other.

Hey Krish,

Buddy I think you should get a holesaw, cut 2 vents in either end of your canopy and have one fan blowing across the water and the other as an exhaust fan. Other wise you are just blowing the hot air from the lights onto the surface of your water. Just make sure you can switch them around. you may want the exhaust on one side or the other.

Thanks Ron...We'll see if it comes to that. I've got the temperature down to 78F now without the lights on and with the lights as of last night, it was as high as 83F. SO I bought a fan for the sump today and have it connected to the timer for the lights to see what will happen when the lights kick on. Here are the updated photos from my other thread just for the record:) Also, the fans in the canopy are positioned differently now rather than how it was in the first set of photos I posted on the other page.

The fan

How it is mounted. You can see the small fan mounted behind the phosban reactor as well.:)

Last edited:
Back