Let's talk about Bacteria in a Bottle

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ya I think you answered it your self. (Some) You can do a 100% water change on an old tank it has bacteria. This 50/50 method has worked to many times on over 11 different tanks for someone to sway my opinion. Im no scientists and I'm not going to spend my little free time studying something that works. The wheel has been invented.

It "works" can you explain "works"? What is it doing?

Don

Not sure what is meant by the Jew Jew thing either lol but on the 50/50 water with a new tank, it is something a person can do if they feel it "works" for them. Not knocking it as aged/mature water does have some beneficial bacteria in it, but it doesn't have a lot. Just imagine starting a new tank with all (100%) mature water then. Will you have a "cycle" or will your tank have to still go through the cycling process? Most definitely it will because the bacteria in the water wouldn't be sufficient enough to biologically deal with the ammonia or nitrites being produced by die off in the rock etc. so you couldn't add livestock right in. Then take a mature tank. If you do a 100% water change on it does it have a "cycle" as a result? Nope, because the water doesn't carry enough beneficial bacteria to shock the system so therefore using aged tank water really doesn't offer you much. If it did then by removing 50-100% of it would cause a problem. This is why not even on start up does it offer up a whole lot. Yes it offers a little but nothing to write home about. You would do better to add in a cup of sand from an established tank as per using 50% or more of aged tank water. :)

Last edited:
Go back to page 1 and read start to finish.

Actually Ive already read the thread. My question is to you. You state that using 50% old tank water works and does something. I just want to know what it does. I think if claims are going to be made they need to be at least substantiated by an explanation at minimum. There are many new folks here reading threads like this getting so much bad and confusing information. Off the cuff comments need a little explanation so as not to confuse.

Don

No matter how you say it there is bacteria in the old water some good and some bad. If nitrobacter and nitrosoma are there they will begin to grow.

No matter how you say it there is bacteria in the old water some good and some bad. If nitrobacter and nitrosoma are there they will begin to grow.

No matter how you say it, you're actually mistaken. The beneficial bacteria, that we all love and need, grows in and on solid material, such as live rock, live sand, glass, equipment, etc. There's virtually no beneficial bacteria present, in the actual water column.

I dont think you are reading the posts that closely if you are referring to me. I agreed there is bacteria in old tank water. I said that twice already today on my last two posts, but here it is a third time. There is beneficial bacteria in old tank water, but not a whole lot to talk about. How do I know this? As previously stated, if there was a lot, then your tank would be affected doing a 50-100% water change at a time but it isn't affected this way so it means not a lot of beneficial bacteria in old tank water to cause a shock to a tank's biological system which equals not a lot of bacteria. This doesn't mean there is no beneficial bacteria in old water because I agree there is... Just not a lot. There is beneficial bacteria on tank walls as well as the surface of things like powerheads, but once again not a whole lot. Only a bit. It's straight forward and not at all complicated. :)

Your right they don't live there. I bet the move around and get places and I'm sure there not tellaporting.

Your right they don't live there. I bet the move around and get places and I'm sure there not tellaporting.

CF, what exactly is your point and is it based on measurably reliable results?
If not making a specific point, what is your purpose for posting?

Let me add that though bacteria can enter the water column, the vast majority in found on the surface of live rock and or sand. This is the basis of the "Berlin Method". Neither skimming nor water changes reduce the bacterial levels in the aquarium, while lowering the total desolved nutrients including nitrates. Starting a tank with old water will very accomplish little. It doesn't help the JuJu, Karma, Aura, nor save any time. It might save a few pennies if anything.

Crazy,

Based on all your spelling mistakes and addressing the wrong people and ignoring the content of the posts. No one here is saying there is no bacteria in the water, there's just not enough to really effect a mature tank. Krish said it well:

Not sure what is meant by the Jew Jew thing either lol but on the 50/50 water with a new tank, it is something a person can do if they feel it "works" for them. Not knocking it as aged/mature water does have some beneficial bacteria in it, but it doesn't have a lot. Just imagine starting a new tank with all (100%) mature water then. Will you have a "cycle" or will your tank have to still go through the cycling process? Most definitely it will because the bacteria in the water wouldn't be sufficient enough to biologically deal with the ammonia or nitrites being produced by die off in the rock etc. so you couldn't add livestock right in. Then take a mature tank. If you do a 100% water change on it does it have a "cycle" as a result? Nope, because the water doesn't carry enough beneficial bacteria to shock the system so therefore using aged tank water really doesn't offer you much. If it did then by removing 50-100% of it would cause a problem. This is why not even on start up does it offer up a whole lot. Yes it offers a little but nothing to write home about. You would do better to add in a cup of sand from an established tank as per using 50% or more of aged tank water. :)

Or how about returnofsid:
No matter how you say it, you're actually mistaken. The beneficial bacteria, that we all love and need, grows in and on solid material, such as live rock, live sand, glass, equipment, etc. There's virtually no beneficial bacteria present, in the actual water column.

Last edited by a moderator:
CF, what exactly is your point and is it based on measurably reliable results?
It doesn't help the JuJu, Karma, Aura, nor save any time. It might save a few pennies if anything.

When I setup a new tank I'm going to do a 50/50, why? Not because I have to, but because I want to be a bit lazy.

I try to reuse some old water because I think it will create a smooth transition especially if upgrading sizes. So I think that a full mix of new salt could potentially shock fragile corals with increased trace elements or what not, especially if switching salts too. So you are kinda creating a median solution....did that make any sense or was i just reambling?

I do understand what you are saying but the old water is lower in trace elements, but could help with preventing a rapid change in PH. The discussion wasn't on PH though, it was on bacteria and if there was any measurable quantity in the water column. As to who my reply was addressed to, CF was short for CrazyFish
I try to reuse some old water because I think it will create a smooth transition especially if upgrading sizes. So I think that a full mix of new salt could potentially shock fragile corals with increased trace elements or what not, especially if switching salts too. So you are kinda creating a median solution....did that make any sense or was i just reambling?

Yeah Mike I know you were talking to CF. I was just trying to come up with a reason why I would use old water during a tank transfer....as far as bacteria it has been beaten to death in this thread.

Yeah Mike I know you were talking to CF. I was just trying to come up with a reason why I would use old water during a tank transfer....as far as bacteria it has been beaten to death in this thread.

Weed killer. :) Lets get this back on track.

Don

Back