lighting suggestions?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bjo51567

I have a 40 gal currently running w/2 80w actinics (1 blue one clear). I have 3 easy corals: brain, bubble, and zoanthid all are doing well. I am going to buy a 250 w hallide soon. My 250 w ballast is HQI type. Suggestions on bulbs please? The hood is 9" above H20 level.

Thanks!

I have a 40 gal currently running w/2 80w actinics (1 blue one clear). I have 3 easy corals: brain, bubble, and zoanthid all are doing well. I am going to buy a 250 w hallide soon. My 250 w ballast is HQI type. Suggestions on bulbs please? The hood is 9" above H20 level.

Thanks!

Hi,

What are you wanting to keep? What are the dimensions of your tank? If this is the typical 40 breeder, with a 16 inch depth, all you need is 175 watt MH's. If you already have the 250 watt ballast, (and it sounds like you do) I would strongly suggest going with a higher K bulb, (ie 20K or thereabouts). You should also shorten the photo period to assist your corals in acclimating to the stronger lights.

Nick

The 20k radium is great looking and it provides the best par out of the 20k halides.

It is great, but it needs to be replaced about every 6-8 months IIRC.......

Nick

Back