Matt's 100 gallon Rimless OBD system

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What kind of tangs will work in a 54 inch tank?
The Yellow and Yellow Eye you mentioned are probably good, and any of the Bristletooth would probably be good as well. I personally like this guy: Bristletooth Whitetail - Ctenochaetus flavicauda.

how about a quick pic of it in the daylight...

looks great...

Thanks! Here's a picture in the day. Without the flash it just looked like the blue, so this is with the flash. Gonna have to figure out how to take pictures better.

img0208ay.jpg

The Yellow and Yellow Eye you mentioned are probably good, and any of the Bristletooth would probably be good as well. I personally like this guy: Bristletooth Whitetail - Ctenochaetus flavicauda.

OK, cool. The Bristletooth Whitetail is nice looking.

Very nice build! I am really liking the OBD products, I might have to drop in to get some estimates. Do you have some more pictures of the lighting?

Very nice build! I am really liking the OBD products, I might have to drop in to get some estimates. Do you have some more pictures of the lighting?

Here are three pictures of the light.

Blue's on.

img0215r.jpg

White's coming on, ramping up.

img0217lg.jpg

Front view. White's are barely on, about 20%. Blues are about 35% at this point. Hard to see how good it looks from the iPhone pictures.

img0216shk.jpg

Fromia and linkia starfish are reef safe. They eat film algae and require a well established tank so the food is available. And they are very sensitive to salinity swings. Such an exciting system!! I love your stocking list. My coral banded is reef safe and it's a monster:eek: he picks amongst the corals and even is able to clean parasites off fish. Mine is a lil reluctant to at times though.

Fromia and linkia starfish are reef safe. They eat film algae and require a well established tank so the food is available. And they are very sensitive to salinity swings. Such an exciting system!! I love your stocking list. My coral banded is reef safe and it's a monster:eek: he picks amongst the corals and even is able to clean parasites off fish. Mine is a lil reluctant to at times though.
Are there any shrimp that don't go together? Or any that you can't have multiples of the same type, like cleaners? I really like shrimp.

Also planning on some emerald crabs. So fun to watch.

Well what I know is coral banded shrimp need to be kept singly. I've seen cleaner and fire shrimp together. But that's all I know about them. I needed a CBS because of the mystery wrasse I had. All else would have been eaten. But now I'm thinking maybe some sexy shrimp with a mini red for my carpet tank.

I definitely don't want anything in there that will eat shrimp. So mystery wrasse is out. Is that the same for all wrasses?

What's a mini red? (I know I've got a lot to learn!)

Fairy wrasse are good with shrimp and there are tons of varieties to choose from. Research any wrasse otherwise. A mini red carpet is what I was talking about. They look like tiny 2" red haddoni carpets.

Tank is cycled, 5 chromis in there doing well, and just did my first water change. Took all of 10 minutes, and not a bucket in sight! It took that long because it's my first one and I had to make sure everything was working right. From now on, it should be even quicker! I love the fact that I went to the trouble to set up my water-change-through-the-walls-and-ceiling system. Awesome!!!

Getting lots of brown algae, I assume it's diatoms.

Since I started with dry rock and sand in order to avoid hitchhikers, I ordered a detrivore kit from Indo-Pacific Sea Farms to get some of the good stuff. It should be here in a couple of days.

Having fun!!!

How did you hear about Indo-Pacific Sea Farms? I googled it and was surprised to find that it is located in Kailua-Kona! I currently live on this island of Hawaii. I am definitely going to find out if I can visit them this weekend or next.

Well what I know is coral banded shrimp need to be kept singly. I've seen cleaner and fire shrimp together. But that's all I know about them. I needed a CBS because of the mystery wrasse I had. All else would have been eaten. But now I'm thinking maybe some sexy shrimp with a mini red for my carpet tank.

Not true.
Coral Banded shrimp can be kept in pairs, but will kill each other if not paired up or if the same sex.
When I lived in Hawaii it was common to find, (locally in the wild and in stores) pairs of Coral banded shrimp. Now that I live here in Missouri, I cant find pairs of them for sale anywhere....not even online.

CBS are a territorial shrimp and something of a bully, they will beat up on other shrimp, but if fed properly and given enough room, can coexist with cleaner shrimp.

I think I'll pass on the coral banded. I am going to have as many different shrimp as possible, though, because I love watching them.

Back