Monthly Get togethers!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey Todd, I will be getting in my LED's for my Biocube and plan on doing it here shortly. Maybe we could have a shop about that. I know that there are a few people jumping on the LED train and would love some ideas about it. LEt me know.

I'd like an in depth discussion about LEDs too. I would like to put them on my 75gal mixed reef if it would work. That would be a fun project.

Oooop's, I didn't read the full thread, If Alex wants to host, I'm supporting him :)
I just wanted to let you all know that my shop is available for gatherings and\or projects most any time.
We should have enough room to fit folks in there and still have a safe area to let Floyd run power tools. I'll check my supply of safety tape and band-aids though.

looks like i will be leaving on the 7th of feb. so i can host the Feb meeting on the 5th. if everyone is still interested

There are a few of us starting to biuild new systems and plumbing, lighting, cabinet building and acrylic projects are something that all of us could get some usefull info/experience out of.

In the next few months at my house:
* Build a canopy for a 2'X8' tank & mount T5HO's
* Build a stand for a 2'X8' with 6 doors (4 in the front and removable sump panels)
* Cover existing 2X6' stand with matching face and doors as above
* Move-a-reef from a 120 to a 180 & mount T5HO's
* Build a sump out of the biggest, nastiest tank I can find that holds water.

Construction of the stand starts this weekend with the selection of wood and rough 2X4 cuts (borrowing a miter saw). Anyone is welcome to drop by if you send a PM.

Right now I have a circular saw, chainsaw, & cordless screwdriver so construction is going to be rough. If you happen to have a pocket hole jig, biscuit joiner, or some fancy tool for sawdust therapy all are welcome.

It takes me awhile to get a new idea so if anyone is building doors I would love to watch to figure out what I need to do. Heck, I would even rent or bribe a decent router if Todd would bring door bits and show how to set them up(ish).

So, a Floyd "dog and pony show" for LED lights and fish-room start at Justin's on the 5th?
Justin- let me know what you need in the way of tools...

@Paul - Nice doors are really tough. I'm all about the DIY, but if you want a finished product that looks nice, I would have the doors done by a pro. I think DonW has some prices for just that.
If you are really determined to diy, then you would have to bring the materials here. The shaper and table saws are not very portable. Plan for some time, you would not knock them out in one afternoon. If you just want to run some wood through a router, it would still be easier to bring it here and use the table.

-Todd

as far as tools go im not sure what i need i got a table saw, drill, miter saw, and various hand tools. i dont have a nail gun though

What do you have in mind?
I should have had a look when I was out that way.
Are you closing in part of another room?

Whatever you guys decide to do for your get togethers, would you please add them to the RF calendar? Take a look at the navigation pane on the upper right side of the home page and click on the calendar link. From the monthly calendar view find the Add Events link in the upper right corner and do that. Just add the event name, date, and notes like place, time, directions, etc. This could be a great tool for letting folks know what other local reefers are doing if we make use of it. Besides that, Mojo said he's going to park outside my house and crap in my yard if I don't get people to use the calendar. I don't care if you do it for me but think of my lawn, please for the love of God!

Mike

@Paul - Nice doors are really tough. I'm all about the DIY, but if you want a finished product that looks nice, I would have the doors done by a pro. I think DonW has some prices for just that.
If you are really determined to diy, then you would have to bring the materials here. The shaper and table saws are not very portable. Plan for some time, you would not knock them out in one afternoon. If you just want to run some wood through a router, it would still be easier to bring it here and use the table.

-Todd[/QUOTE]

Not sure who was looking for doors, but my neighbor builds custom cabinets, and does some fantastic work. It's a little side hobby of his, if you send me some info and specifics of what you are looking for I could run it by him and see how much it would cost, time frame as well as wood/staining options.

@Mcoomer- Hahahaha, got it! Operation save Mike's yard has begun! When we have all the details we will add it to the calendar, promise.

Not sure who was looking for doors, but my neighbor builds custom cabinets, and does some fantastic work. It's a little side hobby of his, if you send me some info and specifics of what you are looking for I could run it by him and see how much it would cost, time frame as well as wood/staining options.

My problem is that when looking at fish furniture I know if I like or dislike the style for the price. In building a stand I have so many more options to deal with like size, materials, how many doors, and style. In building a stand I am hedging my risk in that the size would make a great workbench should things go poorly.

Moving forward, I can either get the doors first and build the stand to fit or build/buy custom when the stand is done. I tend to leave out important details so having a cardboard mockup or a home made door ("like this, only square") helps. I will post or PM details when I make up my mind.

Well April is right around the corner and was wondering what the thought was for a meeting. I know that March got a little crazy, maybe that is why it is called March Madness. I know that I volunteered for April, and unless someone else would like to do it I would like to set a date. Let me know what dates work for you guys. I would really like to get all of us together, possibly a barbecue. I know that there are alot of new guys here on the island and would love to get them in. Let me know.

Back