Mouse's 125 peninsula dream + 2

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Looking great man!!!

What kind of CL pump do you have?
On Jans 240, the CL is the exact same way. We found that it is best to have the loclines facing the glass. Otherwise there is just too much flow and you cant put corals anywhere near them.

Too bad you had to bail on the tank tour. It was the second stop on the trip.

I was in a rush and the guys I was following got lost sooo, I didn't have time to hop all over town..
It is a DART and I have been playing with the idea of facing the glass on a few of them..

Does anyone have ALOT of magnesium
I did initial tests and
MG 800
Calcium 320
KH 7
trItes 0
trAtes 0
ammonia 0
PH 7.8
PHOS .5
I gotta figure out where the PHOS is coming from and prolly hook up the reactor again...

Last edited:
Do I take that chance???
I really don't know??
I DO have a WAY bigger skimmer than I need..
I just don't want to fight water parameters.

Adam I have maybe 40lbs in the 40b and as you already know I have a cheapo BAK PAK skimmer. It is all how you maintain your tank bro. I would like to see some new literature written up regarding the advance in equipment and so forth and reevaluate the old school way of reef keeping. Innovation has came a long way in this hobby in the past 20yrs.

To add to that we are seeing more and more of people removing rock from their systems to accommodate for coral growth. If you have ever seen danno's tank you'd know what I mean. He has huge colonies and very little rock. I certainly didn't have 1000lbs of rock in my shark tank and a messy shark is a huge bio-load. SalmonSlayer is constantly pulling rock out of his tank as his corals grow to new heights and widths.

The efficiency of the skimmers these days has changed the rules, as has the water purification systems and the salts that are now available..... IMHO!

lbs of rock per gallon may soon be like watts per gallon, if not already.

I ate a 20 by 20 stack when I was in Cali. Only to have my record broken in two days by some guy who ate 25X25. I did not eat for two days after I did my 20 stack. Maybe I should come over and take a chance at that one. What is the record?

looking great adam, why do you think you need more mag? your levels look good. I'm loving the sump setup, you could even put some decent lighting over the fuge sections and grow frags out in it! lol

Tom

looking great adam, why do you think you need more mag? your levels look good. I'm loving the sump setup, you could even put some decent lighting over the fuge sections and grow frags out in it! lol

Tom
mag at 800 is way low. should be at 1300 my friend..

well i saw this tank a few hours ago and it looks awsome i cant wait till some coral are placed in and some tangs too :) great job adam

Only update is mike is bringing the hood over tonight and I got a trio of green chromis in there to help cycle the tank...

Ohhh cannot wait to see it with a hoody :) I knew you guys couldn't wait to put fish in lol. Good choice for first fish those Chromis are hardy. Chromis are so under rated they are very pretty fish I love mine I have a trio too.

To add to that we are seeing more and more of people removing rock from their systems to accommodate for coral growth. If you have ever seen danno's tank you'd know what I mean. He has huge colonies and very little rock. I certainly didn't have 1000lbs of rock in my shark tank and a messy shark is a huge bio-load. SalmonSlayer is constantly pulling rock out of his tank as his corals grow to new heights and widths.

The efficiency of the skimmers these days has changed the rules, as has the water purification systems and the salts that are now available..... IMHO!

lbs of rock per gallon may soon be like watts per gallon, if not already.

Have you ever seen how many pounds of rock is in some of these "less-rock" systems?

Many who promote less rock typically have 100s of pounds in their system below the display. Salmonslayer, Danno, Fragman, etc each are running with 100s of pounds of rock. I agree that more open displays are possible, but have too often seen reef keepers pull out a bunch of rock and start a systemic crash. Seen this even with old salts who have been doing this for many years.

Adam, your tank and mods are totally awesome!

thank you, I'm now running at about 150 lbs of rock as soon as I can put the two top pieces in from my other tank... (they have LPS coral frags on them right now..)
I am still on the look out for ONE nice other centerpiece type rock for behind my double arch..

Ohhh cannot wait to see it with a hoody :) I knew you guys couldn't wait to put fish in lol. Good choice for first fish those Chromis are hardy. Chromis are so under rated they are very pretty fish I love mine I have a trio too.
I too love the chromis and they are color changers and very peaceful..
they will help "dirty" up the tank..
I am also gonna do water changes out of my other system into this one...
Lots of goodies in there..

Back