my 150g build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dawguy

I started my 150g build back in Nov 2012 and thought I would share the little progress that I have.

150g 5x2x2 acrylic from Envision Acrylic
47"x15"x18" sump from CFI
SRO 3000int skimmer
Mag12 return pump
2x mp40
Aqua 25W uv sterilizer
Avast Davy Jones Skimmate Locker
2x 120w controllable led from reef breeders
BRS dosing pumps for cal/alk

Stand

IMAG0121_zpsa930ad67.jpg

IMAG0122_zps24d552ba.jpg

IMAG0123_zpsd58d1cd5.jpg

IMAG0124_zps9488fc1d.jpg

IMAG0125_zpse65d89f8.jpg

IMAG0126_zps340b27c9.jpg

Stained with tank on
IMAG0130_zps2a11927b.jpg

IMAG0131_zps29a10ac8.jpg

IMAG0132_zps4027c8d3.jpg

Sand in
IMAG0142_zpsc6dd6541.jpg

IMAG0144_zpsafe1cc54.jpg

Rock in
IMAG0146_zps804a1187.jpg

IMAG0147_zps1440251f.jpg

Underneath
IMAG0154_zps17034f22.jpg

IMAG0155_zpsea2dc1ea.jpg

Last edited:
I really like your tank dimmensions. The built in we are planning is similar in size. The center piece of rock makes for a great look to your tank. Thanks for the pics and keep us posted as the tank "grows in".

Love the rock work! That's something I could really go with. Very nice!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice build!!
John does very nice work!!
You know you could park a tank on that stand LOL
It will be nice to watch this grow in.

Thank you all for the kind words. I was really pleased with the dry rock I got from brs, took a LONG time to cure but it was worth it.....hope it will fill in ok, had a hard time picture the final product when everything grows in. Btw, I have a few shadowed area from the large pieces of rock, any suggestions on coral that I can put there with low light? I was thinking some sun corals, but don't know what else...

Btw, I have a few shadowed area from the large pieces of rock, any suggestions on coral that I can put there with low light? I was thinking some sun corals, but don't know what else...

Beautiful set up in every way.

Other than sun corals, there are Chalices and acans which are both LPS.

I too have BRS dry rock, how long did you "cure" your dry rock? Did you just put pump and heater and let it go?

I started with 60lbs of pukani (love it), but ended up losing a bunch of fish as I only cured it for 2 weeks. Have another batch to add more rock and wondering how long you had yours cooking.

Thanks much!

I too have BRS dry rock, how long did you "cure" your dry rock? Did you just put pump and heater and let it go?

I started with 60lbs of pukani (love it), but ended up losing a bunch of fish as I only cured it for 2 weeks. Have another batch to add more rock and wondering how long you had yours cooking.

Thanks much!
It took my batch of 100lbs 5 weeks to cure. Yes, I just had a heater and 2 pumps and let it stew....changed a little more than 50% of the water at the 2 week mark and gave the rocks a good scrubbing...and waited till phosphate, ammonia levels were close to 0.

It took my batch of 100lbs 5 weeks to cure. Yes, I just had a heater and 2 pumps and let it stew....changed a little more than 50% of the water at the 2 week mark and gave the rocks a good scrubbing...and waited till phosphate, ammonia levels were close to 0.
Forgot to mention that I also had a makeshift skimmer in there to help remove the decaying matter.

Oh, it is time for a update.:)

I was lucky to get to see this tank today and it really is a awesome looking tank.
I especially liked the rock. Very nice.
Just wish I had brought my glasses with me.

Back