my 160 gallon rebuild. going to make it a anemone garden tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Going to add any clowns to the anemone tank?

hell yeah. have to have a super nice pair of clown fish. i will be on the hunt for a great looking pair.

the 3 rock towers are in the tank. i will post pictures when the water is not so cloudy. i had to stir up the sand to put the acrylic stands in.

We are all waiting..... waiting......waiting.....waiting.....waiting......waiting....waiting......waiting.....waiting....waiting.....waiting....waiting.....waiting....waiting....waiting..

sorry about the wait. i had you wait for the sand to settle. then i had to eat dinner. here is a little video

So I guess the platforms worked out alright( with a little tweeking on your end)

Looks awesome, I will keep you in mind when I get ready to rock my 310

So I guess the platforms worked out alright( with a little tweeking on your end)

Looks awesome, I will keep you in mind when I get ready to rock my 310

sweet. that means i can get back some of the money i paid you for the acrylic work. lol. rock work takes a lot of time and thinking.

Hopefully that fish dosent just hide in ur sand and die. He did come out every now and again in my tank but o doyle would just chase hin down!
Looks good. Can't wait to check it out man.
D

Hopefully that fish dosent just hide in ur sand and die. He did come out every now and again in my tank but o doyle would just chase hin down!
Looks good. Can't wait to check it out man.
D
oh man he is doing great in my tank. he swims around the whole time my lights are on. i don't have a mean fish in that tank. thank you again for the free fish.

went to oceans by design yesterday. picked up some really cool fish and 2 linckia starfish. one blue and one red one. i got a super nice bluespotted jawfish. a red ruby dragonet. a rainford's goby. and a yasha white ray shrimp goby. thank you again obd

went to oceans by design yesterday. picked up some really cool fish and 2 linckia starfish. one blue and one red one. i got a super nice bluespotted jawfish. a red ruby dragonet. a rainford's goby. and a yasha white ray shrimp goby. thank you again obd

No you didn't! Pics or didn't happen bud! ( sry):peace:

so i got a package today. i got my 3rd energy bar 8. this one is going on this tank. so now i can hook this tank up to my apex. also got the lunar 5 leds. i ordered a 3 string of the leds also, but they are out of them and will ship them when they are back in stock.

the other day i bought a mini maxi anemone with 2 feet. here is a picture. maybe the do split on there own.

I know that pH can be an issue with freshly made aragocrete/concrete, which is why those have to be cured, but everything I've read says that the pavers aren't an issue because they've been outside and aren't all that recently made. Its certainly not a bad idea to soak them and see. I've got a pH controller and some pavers I was planning on using for aquascaping, I might as well calibrate the probe, put RO in a bucket and get a base line reading, and then soak the pavers for 36 - 72 hours and check on them periodically to see what happens to the pH. Be good for me to know at the very least...
I wasn't aware, or just made an assumption that 'aging' (even outside) does not have the same effect as soaking. I'd be interested in hearing your results if you do soak and monitor yours.

Sorry about the hijack Chad...

Are you cycling the (actual) rock in tank while waiting on the stands?

Turns out that based on a very short, very informal/unscientific test....it appears that Chad and Spieszak were correct in thinking that concrete pavers can raise pH significantly.

I cleaned and calibrated my pH probe, then placed 4 pavers in a newly purchased 20 gallon brute container filled with RODi.

RODi in its original container, (a 44 gallon Brute trash container) showed a pH of 5.53
15 minutes after filling the paver container with the same water showed a pH reading of 7.3
Took a pH reading at 2pm today, (12 hours soak time) and got a reading of 10.45

The tub has the lid on and is in my basement which tends to accumulate Co2 which should have lowered pH if anything.
Ideally, I would have used a separate Brute container per brick, (4 bricks total) and would have filled them all with the same amount of water.
As it stands, I'll continue monitoring this as I may still end up using the bricks for my set up and allowing them to cure in the Brute container doesn't cost me anything but time....

However, I'll start a separate thread for that.

I just wanted to point out that it does appear to raise pH as was mentioned.

Turns out that based on a very short, very informal/unscientific test....it appears that Chad and Spieszak were correct in thinking that concrete pavers can raise pH significantly.

I cleaned and calibrated my pH probe, then placed 4 pavers in a newly purchased 20 gallon brute container filled with RODi.

RODi in its original container, (a 44 gallon Brute trash container) showed a pH of 5.53
15 minutes after filling the paver container with the same water showed a pH reading of 7.3

The tub has the lid on and is in my basement which tends to accumulate Co2 which should have lowered pH if anything.
Ideally, I would have used a separate Brute container per brick, (4 bricks total) and would have filled them all with the same amount of water.
As it stands, I'll continue monitoring this as I may still end up using the bricks for my set up and allowing them to cure in the Brute container doesn't cost me anything but time....

cool. thank you for posting that. im glad i used acrylic stands. they worked great.

Did you by any chance take pictures of the acrylic stands before setting them in the tank and mounting rocks on them?

I don't question that uncured concrete will raise ph. it is fact. I'm curious though how much of a rise in ph and akl you would get in prooperly buffered salt water. just curious! it seems to me that rodi would be the choice to "cure" the concrete to suck out the alk, but I wonder if the ph/alk swing would be less in salt water.

Possibly.....

But I'm not willing to spend the money on salt mix for that.
;)

got my acrylic stands today. thank you peppie. it was a great time talking to you guys. man kevin really cranked up the radio and started rocking out. great times. here is a picture of them. peppie made them really nice. rounded the corners. super nice
here is a picture of them

Back