My 300 Gallon sps tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Details on bulbs? Are you doing anything to compensate for the higher PAR of the new bulbs?

Not doing anything with the VHO as far as photo period. I changed 4 halides last week and cut them back 1 hour on each end. I returned them to their normal times this morning. I changed the 2 halides in the 4' hood this morning, and cut the tme back an hour on each end.
I am running 6 400W XM 20K bulbs for halides and the VHO are the 454 actinics.

First off...damn that's a lot of light, especially compared to Devon's tank(which I finally got to see on friday).

I started with 20K bulbs back in 2004, went and played with alot of different K values, and when we rebuilt this thing back in 2008, I just went back to "home". I am comfortable with them and when things are good, stuff grows. You have to see it in person for yourself, I like it. I know that

Hey Charlie, tank looks real nice. Hopefully I can come and visit this thread more often but you know how real life is... I almost quit completely last year but decided to stick it out with my 110 and just keep whatever I can.
Things looking up lately so I'm thinking I'll keep that old tub going for a bit longer. lol

Hey Charlie, tank looks real nice. Hopefully I can come and visit this thread more often but you know how real life is... I almost quit completely last year but decided to stick it out with my 110 and just keep whatever I can.
Things looking up lately so I'm thinking I'll keep that old tub going for a bit longer. lol

Be an honor for me to have you come by more often my friend. Stop by when you can Gene, I been trying to get more pics up lately, that and updates, kinda keeping me in the game a little :):)

Be an honor for me to have you come by more often my friend. Stop by when you can Gene, I been trying to get more pics up lately, that and updates, kinda keeping me in the game a little :):)

Kool! lol Love to see more shots of your tank. It is always a treat. And, you come a long ways in terms of picture taking, my friend. Keep it up!
thumbs.gif

PS. In one of your posts you mentioned about adding some sand. Did you change your mind? As far as keeping wrasses, you can always add a couple of wrasses that do not require sand bed. Some of the most beautiful Cirrhilabrus species do not burry in sand and can be kept without it. So, what I'm saying is that you don't really need to add any sand to keep a wrass ot two or three...lol

Last edited:
I love your edit Gene, you notice, I haven't added any white stuff yet................. ;).
I will give Kevin a talk to tomorrow, I am headed over to Spokane to eat drink and be merry. I am worried that if I introduce a new fish, it won't get the crap scared out of it by the Emperor, it has ........................................... shall I say a real attitude. I do have a lot of spaces in the live rock tho, and that may be a godsend. I did a rather large rearrange, back in May or so, that really tore at the soul of the system, but I and the tank seemed to have recovered, there is still a little bit of algae, I ain't perfect.
Gene, it is a definite pleasure, thank you .

I just can't seem to keep my acan frags happy. I think they are allergic to hair algae growing in the tank.

Back