My 300 Gallon sps tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Kim, I need help with the 100mm macro lens, really bad, only one of those is taken with that, I have better success with the 50mm. Think you could give a couple of pointers sometime?

Sure, what's the problem . . . focus, light . . .??

Charlie, great pics! That 100mm does have a very narrow field of focus, especially with a wide open aperture. In the one photo that you took with it, you notice how the part of the coral that's sticking up, closer to you, is out of focus? The area of the coral, that's all the same distance from the lens, is all in very sharp focus though. The 100mm is also almost IMPOSSIBLE to get a good photo with, if you're shooting at any kind of angle, through the glass. It's important to be perpendicular to the glass, with that lens.

IMG_1516.jpg

Also, if you're hand holding, any movement at all, forward or backward, will change that narrow field of focus. If at all possible, raise your aperture to a higher Fstop, which will give you a wider field of focus, but also lower the amount of light coming into the lens, resulting in a darker image. You can compensate for this by either slowing down your shutter (not recommended in the above photo as it's already a pretty slow shutter speed) or raising your ISO. The above photo was taken at 400 ISO. You could raise it to 800, doubling the amount of light sensitivity, without causing any graininess.

It seems that you're also shooting in Aperture Priority mode. You might try switching to Manual mode, giving you more control over the camera settings.

Depending on how much of the coral you want to get in the shot, bracing the lens directly against the glass will also help A LOT!

Actually, that's good advice Michael! I know you taught me a thing or two. Charlie, I'm going to be around most of today if you want to get together. I can come up to your place too. I will email you my cell number as we're going out for breakfast. We can set something up.

Actually, that's good advice Michael! I know you taught me a thing or two. Charlie, I'm going to be around most of today if you want to get together. I can come up to your place too. I will email you my cell number as we're going out for breakfast. We can set something up.

I am not gonna be around after noon Kim, maybe we can get something goin later this week??????

the problem with alot of the corals I wanna get pics of are all back in the tank, so I gotta almost climb in to get pics, hence the top down stuff.

Thought I should post these on your thread too! Thanks for hosting the meeting Charlie!

Hey, your welcome:):)

I was gonna link these from the other thread, but now I don't have to, thanx man. I think these make a great addition to the thread Devon, first time for underwater vids and pics of my tank, I appreciate that .:popcorn::popcorn:

Nice videos. Your tank looks great Charlie. I bought your CO2 tank. Question...I notice you have a male Naso, do you have the need, want, room for a female? Mine is getting too big for my tank. I don't want her going to anyone with a tank smaller than mine. I want her going to someone with a tank quite a bit bigger than mine. If not, that is okay. I love her. She is special to me. =*(

Nice videos. Your tank looks great Charlie. I bought your CO2 tank. Question...I notice you have a male Naso, do you have the need, want, room for a female? Mine is getting too big for my tank. I don't want her going to anyone with a tank smaller than mine. I want her going to someone with a tank quite a bit bigger than mine. If not, that is okay. I love her. She is special to me. =*(

Gina, I would love too, but I already have 5 tangs in there and I dont think it would be prudent to add another one. That and I think the Emperor would have a large problem with another larger fish being added. You will find her a home, just keep tryin.

Hey Charlie, I had a few videos that I took on my iPhone that I thought I would also share. Not as good as the underwater videos but better than getting poked in the eye with a sharp stick (or fish). :fish:

Back