My DIY Closed loop

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

krish75 said:
Boy that was fun!:lol: I hooked up the new closed loop today because my pump etc came and it worked! The only problem is I could spit harder than what was coming out(LOL) I figured one nozzle would have been better, but anyway, it only took me 10 minutes to tear everything down and put things back to the way it was before my "vision"(LOL) IMO not worth taking up the extra space if my Tunzes ate up the flow that was coming out of it. If I had 900 gph per nozzle then it would be different. It was fun though and did work with little micro-bubbles, but 950 gph isn't worth the effort.

OK...What's next:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I wonder if Premium Aquatics has bits to drill glass...:) What will I think of next:?:

For future reference, if you can eliminate the pvc 90's, use flex hose where possible and use pvc 45's you will get more flow. The pvc 90's are flow killers.
It looks like you had 5-6 plus a tee. Also like John said use a 3/4" to 1/2" reducing Y will consentrate the flow, to compete against the power of the Tunze pumps.
It was a really nice looking job. Hate to see you just give up on it.

ohhh dood (drooling)
now i'm gonna be even more jelous of Andrew .

LOL...Time for you to do your first DIY Gabbs! I'll have to start up a new thread when I think of something else:)

For future reference, if you can eliminate the pvc 90's, use flex hose where possible and use pvc 45's you will get more flow. The pvc 90's are flow killers.
It looks like you had 5-6 plus a tee. Also like John said use a 3/4" to 1/2" reducing Y will consentrate the flow, to compete against the power of the a Tunze pumps.
It was a really nice looking job. Hate to see you just give up on it.

Thanks Finn! I used (1) 90 coming out of the tank, then a T and the rest was 45's. I was going to run the flex pvc the whole way down, but nobody had any on the island. I just found some today at a pool place, but it was too late. I bought a few feet anyway and used it under the stand. I wouldn't say I am going to give up. I may just get a bigger pump and do it that way, if I decide to go with a closed loop now that I've experimented. Like I said, the mag950 was just for a spare for my tank's return and wanted to give it a shot.:)

Dont feel to bad.
You should buy her something too though. I mean she is having a little you and all. LOL

She gets whatever she wants whenever she wants. Her stuff is more expensive than mine!(LOL) Yeah, the little one will put an end to the spending on the tank as much. I will be spending it on the little one instead like their own 200 gal reef tank!:D

krish75 said:
Here's some stuff! My wife figured I should stop here(LOL) I guess she is starting to realize where the money's going and is getting pissed:lol:. I'll have to post more stuff later when she isn't looking(LOL) I've got tons more stuff out back!

hey krish i got ideal u could sell off the stuff u don't need and buy some coral.man u are sick:eek:u need to go to a triple a class for saltwater sickness:D:lol:just say it I AM A FISH,i need help:lol:

Last edited:
hey krish i got ideal u could sell off the stuff u don't need and buy some coral.man u are sicku need to go to a triple a class for saltwater additions just say it I AM A FISH,i need help

:lol: Corals are free man(LOL) Yeah, I need help...I am that way with anything I'm into though. You should see me when I played around with my cars! This hobby is cheap compared(LOL)

krish75 said:
:lol: Corals are free man(LOL) Yeah, I need help...I am that way with anything I'm into though. You should see me when I played around with my cars! This hobby is cheap compared(LOL)

no comment u suck:lol: i forgot u do have the beach in your backyard:mad:

I meant on the flow side of the pump, it looked like there were 5 plus a tee.
Anyway, you do very nice looking work Very detailed out.

I meant on the flow side of the pump, it looked like there were 5 plus a tee.
Anyway, you do very nice looking work Very detailed out.

Thanks man...I wished I posted a photo before I pulled it down. I wasn't even thinking. Too busy listening to my wife adding up what I spent this month on the tank(LOL) She says, I thought you said when you got that last Tunze that would be all you need(LOL) Shhhh...Spending never ends in this hobby:)

Dang I am catching up to Krish. Except I have 5 tanks. and 6 MaxJets. With the rest of the other stuff on the table hahaha

Hi my name is Krish, and I'm a reefaholic. LOL
Me TOO!

:lol: That's funny! Could you imagine!

Dang I am catching up to Krish. Except I have 5 tanks. and 6 MaxJets. With the rest of the other stuff on the table hahaha

LMBO! I gotta hide this thread from my wife!:lol:

Whew! always late to the party...

I like the box you made to hide the intake. A couple of comments...I really think you should try it again, without the fan nozzles and with rounded nozzles and point them at the areas of detritus. More flow isn't necessarily better, and may not be necessary at all, compared to flow used appropriately. You wanted to add this to help with some detritus piles...so direct the outputs where they will be most beneficial. Pretty soon you're going to have a whirlpool in there! :D

I like the box you made to hide the intake. A couple of comments...I really think you should try it again, without the fan nozzles and with rounded nozzles and point them at the areas of detritus. More flow isn't necessarily better, and may not be necessary at all, compared to flow used appropriately. You wanted to add this to help with some detritus piles...so direct the outputs where they will be most beneficial. Pretty soon you're going to have a whirlpool in there!

lol !! Nikki, that tank is already a whirpool :D

Whew! always late to the party...

I like the box you made to hide the intake. A couple of comments...I really think you should try it again, without the fan nozzles and with rounded nozzles and point them at the areas of detritus. More flow isn't necessarily better, and may not be necessary at all, compared to flow used appropriately. You wanted to add this to help with some detritus piles...so direct the outputs where they will be most beneficial. Pretty soon you're going to have a whirlpool in there!

I guess you're one of those ladies that like to come late to the party to make a grand entrance(LOL) Not sure what I will do...I've got great flow already, just felt like playing I guess. I have some spots that the flow could be a little stronger, but not sure if that is fact or my OCD talking:D We'll see...:)

Back