NaH2O's Fabulous 120

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NaH2O

Since it seems everyone has been doing new projects lately, I decided to jump on the band wagon :D. I fell in love with the goby and pistol shrimp in my daughter's 29 gallon, so I decided I really really wanted to be able to have a symbiotic pair of my own. Well, since my 120 lacked a key element (er...sand), I needed to redesign the whole system.

My tank now has about 4 inches of special grade sand, with some black indo-pacific sand mixed in.

I couldn't possibly have left the closed loop on with all that sand - talk about a sand storm! The wealthiest of leather faced women would shy away from a microderm abrasion with it, fearing it would blast the skin right off their face. Also, I have had such good luck with my dolphin pump, that I was afriad the smallest grain of sand would get in a seal causing a leak. Well, I can't have that, either! We all know about my luck with leaks, and water on the floor! :eek: :rolleyes:

In an effort to maintain some type of flow in my tank, I looked for the help of the Tunze Wavebox. I LOVE it!! I also have a tunze stream on the other side of the tank. On the return, the nozzle came off the seaswirl, and in its place is a Y. This allows me to add some locline on half of it to sweep into dead spots if I ever find any. So far, the wavebox is doing well at keeping everything in suspension. I've watched things in the column eventually make their way up to the top of the tank, and into the overflow.

My life is never boring. During a power outage, it was discovered a separation between the coast to coast and one of my overflow boxes. I gasped when I saw the water had drained down to the bottom of the coast to coast, and upon further investigation, the separation was found. It wasn't a huge gap, just enough for water to seep into the overflow box. My sump is large enough to handle the extra water, but since we're redoing everything - it was the perfect opportunity to address the issue.

The other thing that was changed was my skimmer. I have the old school ER CS8-3, which always skimmed really really dry, no matter how wet I tried to skim. With the help of my buddy Willy, it now has the fancy mesh mod on it. I can tell you, it skims a heck of alot better. Now, I'm looking at a bigger pump. I've heard the Sed 5000 is not big enough for this skimmer? You know how rumors are, though ;). Anyway, maybe someone can chime in on this.

Being long winded, I shall continue....

I fell in love with another sand loving fish.... the Potter's wrasse. A friend of mind has one, and it is beautiful! Perhaps The Apprentice can chime in to give me some of his secrets to keeping a leopard wrasse :D. I'm very excited about the possibility of having one of these beauties!

Huge thanks to my workers for the day - Kim aka bttrflygrl, Brian aka btuck (thank for keeping the kids entertained), and Scott aka Willy. Not only did Willy come over and help, but we also convinced him to cut 20 years of long hair! :eek: lol I'm not sure he'll ever come over and help again, but he arrived with long hair, and left with short!

Well, you've all been waiting, and here is the unvailing (I'm ducking for cover now and putting on my teflon jacket) :lol::

P1010745_-_Crop.JPG

man, the tank looks cool with the black swirls in the sb. heck it looks really clean all together!:D
I used a Sedra 9000 on my skimmer & If I remember correctly it is about the same size as your skimmer, PA has them for around $100 with the needle wheel.

Cool set up! I like the aquascape. I really wanted to go with a wave box, but with the rimless tank I didn't trust it =P What are your fish plans?

Scooterman - I'm lovin' the black sand mixed in there. It gives it a little contrast. The Sed 9000 is one of the pumps I'm considering. The mesh mod is really working well, so my skimmer is going to kick butt once I get a bigger pump on it.

jezzeaepi - My fish plans are kind of up in the air at the moment. I'm hoping to get a goby and pistol shrimp pair, and possibly some type of leopard wrasse. The wrasse may have to wait awhile though. I'm in the process of gathering as much information on them as I can.

Thanks for the kind words.

Very nice Nikki, I like the new tank look you have there. Nice to see a new project you are doing and it looks like it is coming along nicely. YEAH. And I think you are happy with it too!!!

Bout time you posted up something to do with your tank!

Looks good, need to find the time to come out and see it in person....bring you some frags too.

Nick

Hey scooter, did you use the sedra 9000 on a cs 8-3?? Was lookin at the genx 4100 with needle wheel for Nikki's skimmer...too much?? or is the sedra the better of the two?

Miss Nikki you are most welcome, you are a great host and even tho I lost all my hair ( none of my strength tho unlike samson did) I will come help ya any day

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. The mesh mod is really cranking out the skimmate. I guess I never realized how much better the euro-reef could be. Hopefully, when I upgrade skimmer pumps it will really kick some butt!

JustKeepSwimmin - all the rock is Pukani rock.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. The mesh mod is really cranking out the skimmate. I guess I never realized how much better the euro-reef could be. Hopefully, when I upgrade skimmer pumps it will really kick some butt!

JustKeepSwimmin - all the rock is Pukani rock.

Is that all of the original rock?

Charlie - yes, it's all the original rock. Yesterday, Willy and Bttrflygrl came over and added some more pieces I had dried up in the basement. Two were rocks I had boiled. I'll have to update the pics soon.

Charlie - yes, it's all the original rock. Yesterday, Willy and Bttrflygrl came over and added some more pieces I had dried up in the basement. Two were rocks I had boiled. I'll have to update the pics soon.

Was that the same boiling that I remember? How did that soup taste when you finally got done. All in all, I really like the aquascape now Nikki, I know alot of TLC went into it!!!:D

Yep, same boiling. I actually had forgotten about the rock I stored in the basement. Bttrflygrl was trying to move a piece of rock in my tank, but it had already been epoxied down. She became frustrated, and I said I had some old rock from the tank in the basement. After looking at the pieces I had, she was able to incorporate some more into the aquascape. It looks fabulous.

I seem to remember a long time back that all the rock you have had some really nice shapes to it. I also seem to recall that you may have been one of the first people that actually got access to Pukani rock. Did it ever stop shedding in your old system?

It was always shedding, but started growing some really nice coralline. The shapes are amazing, and I still love it.

Yeah, I guess rock will always shed, I am seeing that now in my system. I still think that the Pukani, and the Kaelini that I have are some of the best shapes available to us. Can't wait to see the new pics.

Yes, I was impressed by a fish girls aquascaping talents, as well. Kind of like I was impressed at your latch hooking talents.

Back