Nana's 40B

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

first, you made it through the fumes right?
ok, now i can be greedy, right? :) water flowing yet?

Paints dried completely! Waiting on my order of Christy's Red Hot Blue Glue to arrive. All in one plumbing cement. Then Friday I'll pick up my sand & some LR for the fuge. But of course I'll water test it before anything actually goes in.
Then I need to decide how I'm going to hang my lights.
Sorry it's taking so long. But this is a pay check to pay check build. First comes paying the bills then tank equipment depending on whats left-lol. My Jeep repairs set me back quite a bit :( However the wait will definitely be worth it and the added times makes for better decisions :)

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

Been a while since I built a tank.. can you tell? ;) Not rushing is the smartest thing you could do..

Paints dried completely! Waiting on my order of Christy's Red Hot Blue Glue to arrive. All in one plumbing cement. Then Friday I'll pick up my sand & some LR for the fuge. But of course I'll water test it before anything actually goes in.
Then I need to decide how I'm going to hang my lights.
Sorry it's taking so long. But this is a pay check to pay check build. First comes paying the bills then tank equipment depending on whats left-lol. My Jeep repairs set me back quite a bit :( However the wait will definitely be worth it and the added times makes for better decisions :)

Going slower is a good thing.
It gives you time to think things out and you make less mistakes.

Ordered a new skimmer today! SCA301 Newest model comes with a silencer & cup drain. I'm excited :) Makes me feel a lil better after losing my Clam yesterday :( Keep looking in my tank and it seems so empty....

Decided I'm not going to be using sand in my sump. I'm going to use Marine Pure Bio-Filter Media. 8x8x4" block. Will be so much easier to keep the fuge area clean of detritus.

Nice.
I'll be interested to see how that bio block works out. I thought about one, then kind of decided more 'traditional' would be safer.. (yes, I chickened out.. LOL)

Plumbing is done!! Water test tomorrow.
ajynuzeq.jpg

9abatypu.jpg

5e9u8umy.jpg

That's great.
I'm glad you didn't do like I did and forget to glue a joint.

So, how is the noise level from the overflow, sump, or pump?

Marty-I had no joints to glue. 4x uses for plumbers tape. If I'd had a project like yours I'd have forgotten more then 1 joint-lol.
Well this Mag 5 is kind of loud but it has quieted a bit, but not much. I'll give it 3-4 days. Wish I could have afforded something a little less noisy. I really hope this pump would be quiet :( Dang things 10' from my bed :(
Not a peep out of the over flow! Sump is very quiet also :)

Oh and my skimmer came today!!

Marty-I had no joints to glue. 4x uses for plumbers tape. If I'd had a project like yours I'd have forgotten more then 1 joint-lol.
Well this Mag 5 is kind of loud but it has quieted a bit, but not much. I'll give it 3-4 days. Wish I could have afforded something a little less noisy. I really hope this pump would be quiet :( Dang things 10' from my bed :(
Not a peep out of the over flow! Sump is very quiet also :)

Oh and my skimmer came today!!

All sorts of good things today.

Before you put it in the final place and fill it with saltwater, make sure the skimmer will go in and setup where you want it.
IMO, it's part of the test before saltwater.

I would also suggest that you find a small container ( big enough to fit the skimmer in plus a couple gallons of room)
Then go buy enough white vinegar to make it bubble all the way to the top.
Turn the pump on and let it run atleast overnight.

Fast way to break in the skimmer. Removes manufacturing oils and whatever.

Already made sure, the skimmer fits perfectly with room to spare.
Will clean it as you suggest. Was my plan anyways-already got the vinegar.

Added a filter sock. Thing just hangs on the FlexiTube-lol. Look ma no more bubbles!
2use5ahu.jpg

Full 24hrs running & no leaks :) Will drain tomorrow. Go to Lowes pick up fuge light/goose neck clamp & 30g Brute container.
Order sand from DF&S and I'll be ready to start cycling.

Back