Need Help with ID! look at my Wrasse ; )

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Nitex

Sold to me today from Renton Barrier Reef as "Oxycheilinus bimaculatus (Two-spot wrasse)"
Twospot-wrasse-Oxycheilinus-bimaculatus.jpg

Sorry for the bad cell phone pic, if unable to ID i will upload a new pic with a better camera.

Wrasse by nitex08, on Flickr

I personally think it is a Male "Halichoeres biocellatus (Red-lined Wrasse)"

Halichoeres_biocellatus.jpg

Hey, beautiful Wrasse and yes you are and BRA are both correct H. biocellatus are also commonly called Twospot Wrasse. Normally peaceable enough with the exception towards the more timid/passive Wrasse family ie: Leopards, Fairy and Flashers. They are great in controlling populations of Asterina stars and Pyramidal Snails but unfortunately also have a fondness for mini Brittles as well.

Cheers, Todd

Great thanks for the reply!

After acclimation he ate a few things around the tank. Hung out with my Lawnmower Blenny for a minute, saw a nice spot of sand and dug in for a nap. That was around 6pm last night and it was still MIA when i left for work this morning. He could have moved around at night and found another sand bed. I assume this to be the norm for this type of wrasse?

Maybe i should be asking this in another section of the forum? Sorry im kinda new here.

Yes very normal to have them bury and not be seen much for several days. They also will need to adjust to our daylight schedule which could take a few weeks or longer to fully change. I normally change my feeding schedule a bit to thier awake hours for first few weeks as well to help them out during adjustment period.

Cheers, Todd

That makes sense,

At first i started thinking, roughly 6 PM, i bet the store he lived in shut down around now. And is on his normal schedule.

Hard to believe they can breathe under all that sand!

Thanks again!

Sorry to keep bumping the thead but i figured a pic a little less blurry would be nice.

Once again he/she hit the sack just before 6 PM. This time after a meal of mysis. Atleast i know its schedule now!

Wrasse 2 by nitex08, on Flickr

A great food that he will really like is H2O Life's 50/50 Plus (Blood Worm-Mysis-Brine Shrimp combo). My Wrasses and Bangaii Cardinals favorite food by far.

Cheers, Todd

Good looking wrasse and not one that I've seen very often. You're right about the fish learning the shops hours and knowing when to bed down. My two took a bit to get acclimated to the tank but once they did you could set your watch to them disappearing 30 minutes after the metal halides went out. One minute they're out and about, next minute they're gone and all you'll see is a plume of sand coming out of a rock crevice.

If you have asterina stars let me know if it starts adding them to the diet. I had some hitch a ride into my tank a year or so ago and they're everywhere now. They don't harm anything that I can see but too many of anything is too many.

Mike

I had a small - med population of them in my previous tank. I did transfer some rock from that tank and so ill assume some Asterina Stars made it over to the new setup. Ill keep my eye out to see if the wrasse develops a taste for them!

Back