New 12"x12"x12" sps cube!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after a 2 year break, I decided to get back into the hobby. This time, I'm going cube and like last time, sps dominated.

Heres what I have on the cube equipment-wise.
-Odyssea 14k 150watt MH + 2x 12watt t5 actinic
-Aqua C Remora w/ mj1200
-Hydor Koralina Nano (230gph)
-50 watt heater
-12x12x12 mr. aqua glass cube. 7.5g total

Heres what I have inside the cube.
-15 pounds of live rock
-5 pounds of live sand. (1/2" thick layer)
-8 heads of hammer
-Chaeto

What I plan on purchasing by the end of the week.
-Pair of semi-snowflake clowns
-Cleaner shrimp
-CUC: 5 astrea snails, 3 nissarius snails
-couple sps pieces.

I'm currently doing a 15% water change each week and once I get more sps, I'm planning to top off with kalk + RODI water. My lighting schedule is 11am-7pm actinics. 12pm-6pm Halide.

Man..I love this little tank....I cant wait to see pics when its established..Great job!!
Thanks man, I'll definitely post some more pics when I start stocking this.

nice nice. holla if you need something.
For sure dude, thanks!

Looks Great! If you replace the bulb in that light you'll see great improvement.
I really want something more blue, but for right now, I'd rather spend 80$ on coral/livestock than on a bulb. hehe but when that thing burns out, 20k here I come!

already up and running ,,coool man
haha yeah I'm planning to get my clowns tomrw.

I also just made this pico. its 5"x5"x5" so 0.5 gallons and its going to be my father's desk nano. I'm planning to put 2 LED's on top of it, one white and one blue with pots on them and run it as a zoo tank.

Pics!!

Here are some pics. Excuse all the microbubbles, I seem to be having a little bit of a microbubble problem from my skimmer.. and that I just dumped a bunch of water back into the tank so the bubbles are from that. I dont have a fts, sorry.

Some sort of acro, if someone could name it.

I forgot the name of this guy, help me out :p

Rainbow monti

Reverse sunset monti

Purple bonsai

Blue stag? I think, if I'm wrong, chime in.

Semi-Snowflake Clownfish

Picotope with some live rock in it. I'm waiting for some LEDs and i'll rig that up with some zoas.

Big thanks to Saltwaterfishes for the frags/mini colonies and aredseaaquarium for the clowns and dip(worked quite well!)

dude, not trying to be a downer, but...
damn...you put 2 clowns in a 7g tank???
am i the only person that finds that just slightly disturbing??
imagine if someone threw you in a small box to live and said, "that's plenty of room, see?? he can turn around fine then walk 9-10 feet" then shoved another person in there with you...
and you practically spent more on the clowns then you did the whole system no less... :confused: ...just strikes me as a little backwards.

first rule of nano reefing:
DO NOT overstock with too many fish or fish that belong in larger systems!!

great tank and yeah, 2 really small clowns will work for a short time but this would be a great tank to showcase a small goby and a shrimp.

dude, not trying to be a downer, but...
damn...you put 2 clowns in a 7g tank???
am i the only person that finds that just slightly disturbing??

none the less, it would be you that first comments on this ;) I was actually thinking of putting a baby yellow tang in there for when the algae bloom comes. Only kidding, but really I think the clowns will do fine, I've had them in 10gs. Sure its a bit tight in there, but this tank isnt going to be a long term tank anyways. I'm basing when I upgrade to a 25g cube on when the sps outgrow the tank.

What does the fish being more expensive than the set up have to do with anything? There are plenty of people who have tons of corals and fish that end up being more money than their equipment. Its just I chose to put my money in some clowns.

Last edited:
none the less, it would be you that first comments on this ;) I was actually thinking of putting a baby yellow tang in there for when the algae bloom comes. Only kidding, but really I think the clowns will do fine, I've had them in 10gs. Sure its a bit tight in there, but this tank isnt going to be a long term tank anyways. I'm basing when I upgrade to a 25g cube on when the sps outgrow the tank.

What does the fish being more expensive than the set up have to do with anything? There are plenty of people who have tons of corals and fish that end up being more money than their equipment. Its just I chose to put my money in some clowns.

yep, of course it would be me...the fish lorax...lol

and dude, im all about doing things for cheap...
on my 20g nano, there isnt one stick of gear more than $225, and that's the skimmer. and the way i have my LED's ziptied together... my thread should be called ghetto nano II, not uber nano II. I just found it ironic that you hemmed and hawed over cheap gear for a month or so then blew your wad on a pair of clowns which had to be over $200. nothing wrong with spending money on livestock, but most people prefer to increase the quality of the system before they do this. i mean, you could have bought a 25g cube from arsa for like $129 or something, put that light and skimmer on there and had 3 times more room...just sayin...not that my opinion really matters about your nano anyway... i dont ask that people care what i think...lol

Last edited:
Haha right. You do have a good point. But you see, it's not the money that I'm trying to save, but I'm actually trying to maximize efficiency :) with a tank my size a skimmer like the one you have on your tank would be extreme overkill. Where I can get away with a remora for 50$. Same with the light. The actual underlying reasonthat I didn't just get a 25g right now is because right now I don't want to deal with all the extra maintenance of a larger tank. Especially since my next year at uw is going to be difficult. Oh and a 25g rimless cube is 98.98$ shipped to your door :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back