new 57g Illuminata build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jgalven,
Looks great!! Looking at your sump... Is the chamber on the far right for Freshwater (ATO) ? Couldnt quite make it out withAll the cords laying on top of it...LOL.

Have you considered a pellet reactor to help with your water quality? Do you have room for one? Some models are HOB sump or tank.
Just a thought, opposed to have to dose.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments!

yep, i made that divider to hold about 4 1/2 gallons for the ATO (on the far rights). Lasts about a week, so really useful for long weekends and when i travel for work.

Funny you ask about the pellet reactor, i've been reaseaching those (looking at the vertex and vertex biopellets). Space is at a premium though in the stand. The vertex is 5"X5" so thinking I could move the heater, and split the return to feed the reactor. For now just going to see how the tank responds to the vinegar dosing.

Some of the reactors need more flow than others to keep the media tumbling, Make sure you are able to provide enough flow to feed the reactor you buy. Or you may need to run a pump for it. As I understand the exit water from the reactor is to go into the skimmer chamber.

i took out the tonga branch out a few months back. I'm actually getting the urge to redo my rock work and go to the two pillar/island route. I'd like to have more sand exposed (especially in the middle).

I found this reactor that should fit great - JNS BioPellet Reactor. When i told my girlfriend its $125, she said "why don't you keep using that vinegar that costs $2". Hard to argue with that. I've been dosing for a week now, corals look a lot better. Going to check nitrates/phosphates tonight to see if any movement down yet.

Been 3 weeks of vinegar dosing, nitrates almost undetectable now and corals look great. No negatives yet (crossing fingers). I've started adding Kalk to my ATO water to offset the PH drop from the vinegar. Also redid all my rock work last weekend, went with the two pillar concept joined by a rock bridge. I was always worried about rock touching the back wall, but decided to use that space which opened up the tank in front. What do you think?

DSCF0612-43.jpg

DSCF0608-39.jpg

DSCF0586-17.jpg

DSCF0592-23.jpg

Some minor updates to my tank, added some corals, stopped using a refugium, and still dosing vinegar daily. Some new pictures. Thinking seriously about buying a bigger tank now.

P2261211.jpg

P2261213.jpg

P2251202.jpg

P2261217.jpg

P2251210.jpg

P2251196.jpg

Looking great! I love the transformation it has gone through. Imo your current rock scape is the best i also love the one, two scapes before it.

So excited I had to post, new tank ordered this week (birthday gift to myself). Went with a Cadlights 100g Artisan II. Starfire, rimless, thick glass. Will be a couple months till up and running. Happy Friday!

Well the Cadlights stand and LEDs get universally mediocre reviews, while their tanks get amazing reviews. Not sure why you would say "what I paid". I only paid for the tank - $625 vs 1899 for the full cadlights package. Anyhoo, like my current tank, I am having Don Wacker who is a reeffrontiers sponsor build my tank and I already have and LED system from ecoxotic.

what u paid for it might as well go with the oak cabnet and 100w leds

Soon will have a new build thread! The 100g Cadlights is shipped and in transit. Don Wacker has built the stand. Will be posting a for sale ad for my illuminata this weekend in prep for the transition to the 100g, very excited.

Oh and i tried fragging one of my maxi mini anenomes, from what i read you can cut them down the middle at the mouth and they force clone. we'll see, i feel kinda bad for doing it to it.

Back