New Ballasts -- Chalice bleaching ???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ROLLINS

Hi everyone,

I have one of the cheapo 48" e-bay lamp fixtures w/ 2 250w hqi halides, pc's and moonlights. About a week ago I bought new Lumitek ballasts for the MH's. The output is awesome, and for anyone running cheap ballasts, the $100 investment for one ballast is worth every penny. I am running 1 month only Ushio 10k lamps. Anyways, all of my sps corals are doing better than ever, but my chalice appears to be bleaching (turning white) on one side of it. As soon as I noticed this, I placed screens on top to help the shade the more intense light, and I will slowly remove the screens to help w/ acclimation. I tried to take a picture but the white is so slight that it does not turn up well in a photo. The chalice is located on the middle/top portion of my tank, about 8-10 inches from the light. Thanks for the advice, I just want to ensure I doing everything correct.

Rollins

I wonder if a night time feeding 1 time would help in the healing from getting shocked?

I have heard of others doing this but it Depends on how bad it is I believe!

Some move shocked/bleaching/stn-ing corals and even break off the white area--having great sucess.

If it's worse the next day you may want to CONSIDER the GAMBLE.

Hopfully it will be just fine! --- I rarely have had any luck with anything but choping and moving---But with that I HAVE had sucess Multiple Times after it continued bleaching.

Good Luck.

:)

Paul

Rollins, would you be able to move the chalice down? That would be my suggestion aside from the screens. Hopefully, they'll do the trick for you. Keep us posted!

Thank you for the advice. I did move the chalice to the sand bed, and I also have 3 layers of screens on top of that side of the tank. I also spot fed the chalice last night to help w/ recovery. I will keep you guys posted. I never even thought that different ballasts of the same wattage could make this much of a difference, especially to damage a coral. Thank you

Back