New DIY LED build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

How much surface area of tank will each one of those panels cover?

Hmm thats a tough one to say outright, because all the panels are going to be on swivels and angled based on the rock work now and the coral growth down the road. But in saying that their is six of these 12 inch panels that are covering 8 feet of tank, now minus the 6 inch euro brace around the top of the tank and your down to 7 feet and then about 2 inches between each pad??? so not really sure how much its going to cover. The concept is to hang them high enough to get a decent spread, but then you have to remember that their are another three 2 foot panels that are loaded with lights and are more towards the front of the tank angled back towards the rockwork, this should give me a pretty go blanket coverage for the whole tank...well thats he pla anyways,lol.

mojo

It was nice to meet you today and I appreciate all the information. It is a shame that pictures do not do your rock work justice. Your tank is looking incredible.

Hmm thats a tough one to say outright, because all the panels are going to be on swivels and angled based on the rock work now and the coral growth down the road. But in saying that their is six of these 12 inch panels that are covering 8 feet of tank, now minus the 6 inch euro brace around the top of the tank and your down to 7 feet and then about 2 inches between each pad??? so not really sure how much its going to cover. The concept is to hang them high enough to get a decent spread, but then you have to remember that their are another three 2 foot panels that are loaded with lights and are more towards the front of the tank angled back towards the rockwork, this should give me a pretty go blanket coverage for the whole tank...well thats he pla anyways,lol.

mojo

Ok. Angled is going to be interesting. That should light up some corals underneath some of the over hangs.

Cigarettes are not hot enough to melt solder. I have tried. :D

There used for timing. It takes the average smoker 6-7 minutes to burn one. So one pack gets you about one panel depending on the brand of beer your pounding during the process :D

did you solder them together with cigarettes?

One for you Darth
IMG_0177-1.jpg

Ok so a little update.

So the wiring is done on the heat sinks now.
IMG_0174.jpg

Time to spread them out so we can get the going of the frame work that will hang over the tank.
IMG_0175.jpg

So the fixture will span 7 feet, so we will have about a 2 inch gap between each 12 inch pad. Their will be a 6 inch span between the front pads.

IMG_0171.jpg

The plan is to have the different pads be able to individually rotate so I can dial in the light based on my rockwork now and then as the coral grows, the lighting caan adjust with it. So Guerry has come up with a nifty plan to do this and not effect the fans and such on top of the sinks.
IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0184-1.jpg

IMG_0187-1.jpg

Mojo

Coming together nicely now Guys, have to admire that precision aluminum work there Guerry..... and your precision nicotine soldering tip to Mike

Cheers, Todd

Alright so we go the production line going now.

IMG_0188-1.jpg

IMG_0189-1.jpg

IMG_0191-1.jpg

And then finished product for the 12 inch sinks, kind of shows the adjustability

IMG_0196-1.jpg

Mojo

Sweeeet! but noticed you said we...hmmm... are you flying back-n-forth to help out Guerry :bump2:
Looks awesome guys, those are going to be the best LED DIY's out there as far as I'm concerned

Cheers, Todd

Back