New DIY LED build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reef led lights is a Sweeet site as well-i was 50/50 on which one to use! your build looks like its going to be sweet! any pics? hows your progress?

Welcome Bill, nice to see you here and sure you can give all of us some great input. Still flying or just doing the LED thing now?

Flying and LEDs. Seems I spend more time doing the LEDs on my days off its full time and when I fly I take care of emails and calls between flights. Good thing I only fly three days a week.

Both Me and Rick are looking forward to sponsoring next month.

Mojoreef

As far as the PAR readings with the Apogee I was a bit off...say 11%. The Electric readings were 630 vs 704 with the Sun Mode. Looks like the lights are 11% brighter than advertised.

Bill

As far as the PAR readings with the Apogee I was a bit off...say 11%. The Electric readings were 630 vs 704 with the Sun Mode. Looks like the lights are 11% brighter than advertised.

Yea at least I would say, the apogee meters really have a hard time, with the greater amount of blue light present. Using the sunlight setting is a reasonable next closest thing, but still off a bit. Most of the data present shows a difference of anywhere from 17 to 23 percent.

apogeeinstruments1.jpg

I busy right now glueing them to my butt!! and then I am going out on the deck and be a search light???

lol

Mike

holy crap that is alot of led's! your going to be able to see that light from the moon haha! looking forward to seeing your progress

Ohhh LED star envy, that is one big ol mess of pieces to figure out bud. I think I'm glad to have only a 100 to mess with on my project. Maybe we should just pack up all our stuff and drop by Alex's for a day of soldering/assembling and mess up his un-naturally clean-n-purdy shop.

Cheers, Todd

Ohhh LED star envy, that is one big ol mess of pieces to figure out bud. I think I'm glad to have only a 100 to mess with on my project. Maybe we should just pack up all our stuff and drop by Alex's for a day of soldering/assembling and mess up his un-naturally clean-n-purdy shop.

Nope I got super Guerry, I wouldnt wire this myself if my life depended on it, and it probably would lol

No Vortechs for me Darth those are Guerrys

Mojo

There you go letting the cat out the bag LOL , been kind fun being inside the box looking out thow

So what are you planning on powering this thing with. Have you looked at possible power supplies instead of an army of drivers.

Nine may seem like alot but it's not for what we are going to be doing here, it going give us abilty to controll many diffent aspects of the lighting. Mojo will have many options here on how he wants the lighting to ramp up and down or where and when

YA!! all I have to do is to call Geurry and he will turn the knob which every way I want, lol

Mojo

Thought I would post up some of the pictures of the LEds going together in case anyone decided to give it a shot themselves.

Got all the emitters and wire and pre tinted them, this way you dont loose so much heat to the sinks when doing the final solder
IMG_0159.jpg

then cut all the wire to the required length and color coded it with the leds.
IMG_0161.jpg

Anyway started gluing down the leds to the small heat sinks.

IMG_0158.jpg

Then running the wire and soldering them to the glued down emitters
IMG_0162.jpg

Then some wire for the blue lights
IMG_0163.jpg

First pair down couple hundred to go, lol

mike

Back