New Skimmer for DaCube

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DisturbedReefer

Lionless :(
It's time for a new skimmer for DaCube and any other tanks I plan to plumb into my system (more in the future). I broke my current beckett skimmer and needed a replacement ASAP, so I was pursuing my original plan of making a big beckett skimmer. I purchased a pump and was on my way to getting the beckett underway when I ran into a problem with our card. Come to find out that the bank had the wrong address and there were more problems, good 'ol BOA. Long story short, I was faced with a delay in getting my pump for the skimmer. So, the idea of an air driven skimmer was brought up....Hmmm...let's do it! Here are the pictures of what we have come up with so far. Air pump size/model, feed pump, air stones, etc any suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
skim1000.jpg

skim10001.jpg

skim10002_Custom_.jpg

Todd,
You can see that big ugly airstone I did at Aquarium paradise. Should give you some decent Ideas for stone / pump size. Its on their LR tank.

Don

Todd, that looks like a really cool design you've got there. I've never seen one like that before. Good luck with getting it all sorted out. Oh, btw, how's the cube?

The cube is doing great these days, all of my corals are finally starting ot really look good and I'm starting to get some growth. I did have a set back yesturday though, I lost my Tang to the closed loop return. I saved him a few weeks ago only to find him completely dead last night sucked up into the return. :cry:

I lost my Tang to the closed loop return. I saved him a few weeks ago only to find him completely dead last night sucked up into the return.

That sucks :( It's usually the case though with powerful suctions associated with closed loops. I never had a closed loop like what you have set up there with the drilled acrylic. The only closed loop I've ever had is via a prefilter and sump return. However, I use to loose a lot of little fish at night I guess when they were asleep and the current just pulled them into it. I had to switch to a cpr overflow and use the screen just to prevent them from getting stuck in my sump intake and decaying there. Sorry to hear that about the tang, but I'm glad everything else is ok with your cube and hopefully this new skimmer you make will kick some serious butt!

krish75 said:
That sucks :( It's usually the case though with powerful suctions associated with closed loops. I never had a closed loop like what you have set up there with the drilled acrylic. The only closed loop I've ever had is via a prefilter and sump return. However, I use to loose a lot of little fish at night I guess when they were asleep and the current just pulled them into it. I had to switch to a cpr overflow and use the screen just to prevent them from getting stuck in my sump intake and decaying there. Sorry to hear that about the tang, but I'm glad everything else is ok with your cube and hopefully this new skimmer you make will kick some serious butt!
Really blows to loose fish this way...BigT lost one the same night, same way :cry:

Still looking for some input on air pump size/model, feed pump, air stones, etc any suggestions and recommendations. Thanks!

I think Mike will have the best input for you. He's having internet problems at the moment.

Don

Hey Don, just out of curiousity... When you ordered your stones, did you get the fine pore variety intended for oxygen and ozone?

big t said:
Hey Don, just out of curiousity... When you ordered your stones, did you get the fine pore variety intended for oxygen and ozone?

I did, but I also asked one of the tech guys to verify with sales that they were. I guess some people were having problems with misbagging. The people at aquatico are real cool and seem to like to help with these types of projects.

Don

Well hopefully we will get the good ones. Is there any way to tell that you indeed did get the good ones?

Not that I know of. If you get the wrong ones the bubble size will be to big, pretty obvious. One thing I can say is the airstones work great for big skimmers. I wouldnt use them in anything smaller than the one I built.

Don

I am sure with some experimenting w/ some of the smaller stones and pumps that a nice smaller skimmer could be made. This skimmer is going to be no slouch @ 6' tall and a 12" chamber.

big t said:
I am sure with some experimenting w/ some of the smaller stones and pumps that a nice smaller skimmer could be made. This skimmer is going to be no slouch @ 6' tall and a 12" chamber.

I think thats about the perfect size for the airstone skimmer. They are kind of funky. You would think that a smaller skimmer would just use less air and/or smaller stones. I played with different configurations and none of the smaller would perform. The bubble size is actually to big for a small low volume skimmer.
Tom are you going to be helping with the building on this one?

Don

Yes I will be the skimmer consultant on this build. He is going to build it in my shop.

big t said:
Yes I will be the skimmer consultant on this build. He is going to build it in my shop.

Cool. Maybe look at a difuser plate a few inches above the stones. The turbulance is going to be huge. You can come get my little diaphram compressor to experiment with before spending $$ on wrong pump , I wont need it till latter this winter.

Don

Thanks don, you are a true sweetheart. I was just doing a little reading about the diffuser plates. It would be very easy to include one of those in the design. So what do you have a diaphram compresser for?

big t said:
Thanks don, you are a true sweetheart. I was just doing a little reading about the diffuser plates. It would be very easy to include one of those in the design. So what do you have a diaphram compresser for?

I have a mini hvlp gun for spraying my furniture, I dont like to use my regular compressor dont want oil contamination. Its also used to pull extra pressure in the veneer press system for bending.

Don

Back