New Skimmer for DaCube

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I just saw this thread! Where have I been?... With BigT behind the helm you are going to be done before me! Punk.. ;)

As far as your airstones and pump goes I will share what I came up with after studying the various airstone skimmer threads and formulas for my skimmer which is virtually the same as yours in many aspects. (Aprox 13" sq by 36" tall box with 8"X24" riser tube to 14" neck)

4 - 6" Fine pore stones pushed by a Alita Air Pump AL-40 rated at just under 2CFM under my skimmers preassure/height. I chose the alita since it has received allot of praise in other applications, uses the quieter design AND is much cheaper than those quieter pumps on Aquatic-Ecosystems.

The 6" stones require .5 CFM to drive each so I figured four would be about right. I would also be sure to incorporate a way to bleed air off as it seems those going this route before us report better bubble size slightly underdriving the stones. Your stone orientation is great.

For my tank volume I will be passing 250-300 Gph through the skimmer. (determined using the formula I can't find at the moment)

Very cool!

Unfortunately house projects took presidence over my reef all summer. I have my box built and will be finally assembling the rest on Saturday.

That is cool John, you will really have to get the move on if you want to beat us! I had been wondering how your skimmer was coming along. I guess sometimes you have to have other priorities :p

John you better hurry! Production started tonight on the skimmer. Here are a few shots of the progress so far. Those last two are Tom and myself for size ref. The flair there at the base of the neck was our first practice run, not the final result.

Hey T&T thats a mighty big skimmer you have there :lol: . That's pretty impressive, can I see it in person? My husband doesn't have a skimmer that big.

Dona

Last edited:
Wow Todd, that is a impressive looking funk removing device you have there.

Kensn said:
Hey T&T thats a mighty big skimmer you have there :lol: . That's pretty impressive, can I see it in person? My husband doesn't have a skimmer that big.

Dona
Man oh man Ken, can't you keep her under control? :lol:

Oh Todd, just out of curiosity, why such a big skimmer? Is that the recommended size skimmer for your size cube (assuming you still have the IAP 36x36x24) or is it that you figured if you were going to build one why not go big one time incase you upgraded the tank to a bigger one?

krish75 said:
Oh Todd, just out of curiosity, why such a big skimmer? Is that the recommended size skimmer for your size cube (assuming you still have the IAP 36x36x24) or is it that you figured if you were going to build one why not go big one time incase you upgraded the tank to a bigger one?
Well...The lionfish are very dirty eaters and can make a tank pretty filthy, with SPS being my domandant coral I want it as clean as possible. In the future I plan on plumbing in a frag system so the over all system volume will go up. These air driven skimmers can be adjusted to skim just the right amount so I should be ok for now, just need to be very careful not to over do it. The air driven skimmer is very efficient in the electric department which is always a major plus.

Yup you guys are definately leaving me in the dust AND ptting together a better skimmer :) At least I have more crap in my tank to pull out!! Wait, that's no good!

I love the box to riser transition. What type of joint is that attaching the riser tube to the box transition?

You wanna explain the access hatch you have planned?

Man the project is moving on faster than I expected, I can't wait to see how this puppy works. With so many new tweaks & designs, I can't believe someone isn't going into business making these.

John, the top of the 'funnel' will have a flange glued onto it. Then the bottom of the neck has the mating flange. The access hatch will be simple, just a hole in the side and a window that bolts onto it. It will have a neoprine seal and we will put some silicone on the bolts. I figure that it will only be opened once every 6 months or so.

Very cool. So essentially the same as mine except I just have a 2" long piece of 8" tube glued to the box instead of your slick transition.

I had planned on using a 6" uniseal simply plugged with a PVC pipe and cap for access to the stones, though we'll see if that works. If it doesn't work well enough I'll route it out and go the hatch route.

big t said:
John, the top of the 'funnel' will have a flange glued onto it. Then the bottom of the neck has the mating flange. The access hatch will be simple, just a hole in the side and a window that bolts onto it. It will have a neoprine seal and we will put some silicone on the bolts. I figure that it will only be opened once every 6 months or so.

Tom,
If you run your bolts from the inside out and put a small oring under the head you'll have studs. Then you can use your seal and plastic wing nuts. No silicone needed. :)

Don

Back