Northend Chapter of PSAS?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Would you like to see a North end chapter of PSAS formed?

• Total voters
I would be curious to see how many Current PSAS member would end up dropping there memberships if say the membership dues every year went up fro the $30.00 a year to say $50.00 a year?

We all pay $30.00 now for a single PSAS membership. I am just going on the assumtion (which may be incorrect) of the cost being $50.00 a year.

And if PSAS were to say have 2 differing meberships, then where does the membership allow the discounts? All sponsors or just the Northend chapter sponsors?

These are some more questions that I thought of when the cost of memberships arose from these discussions.

also, i have to disagree with you johnpeezy...
when you consider people come from everett, the penninsula, bellevue/redmond, and tacoma/puyallup, seattle IS the central location between all...

hey skimmy, you have forgot to include people in the olympia/lacey and vancouver area like most folks in this thread have been doing. Thats southern washington according to me, not everything south of Seattle.

but this is exactly the problem I am sick and tired of hearing about BECUASE nobody (including myself) has a clue to where the mystery dividing line between north and south is. According to maps I have been looking at in regards to the Puget Sound well.....it goes from the top of the state to the bottom of the state.

Personally I think a place like Federal Way, Tukwillia, and Renton are central locations (basiclly a location just south of seattle).

I think finding and DECIDING upon a central city for the BOD to focus there attention on finding a venue that is affordable would be the best benifit for all of us(regardless if it is in Seattle or not), if you all want a northern chapter of the PSAS; create a fundamental plan of how to implement it and quit saying because it will make the meetings closer for you.

You folks are beyond that point, there is a realiziation that a possible need for a northend chapter exists. Get together and create a proposal and submit that to the BOD, prove your interested and serious by doing so. Every time I have brought something up about wanting some more information or creating a proposal, I get responses giving me the impression that the northenders don't want to do a bunch of work for nothing, either do I. Why would it be my responsibility as a BOD member to come up with a plan for what you want. If you guys can't get together to do the groundwork, why would you get together for club events.

hey skimmy, you have forgot to include people in the olympia/lacey and vancouver area like most folks in this thread have been doing. Thats southern washington according to me, not everything south of Seattle.

but this is exactly the problem I am sick and tired of hearing about BECUASE nobody (including myself) has a clue to where the mystery dividing line between north and south is. According to maps I have been looking at in regards to the Puget Sound well.....it goes from the top of the state to the bottom of the state.

Personally I think a place like Federal Way, Tukwillia, and Renton are central locations (basiclly a location just south of seattle).

I think finding and DECIDING upon a central city for the BOD to focus there attention on finding a venue that is affordable would be the best benifit for all of us(regardless if it is in Seattle or not), if you all want a northern chapter of the PSAS; create a fundamental plan of how to implement it and quit saying because it will make the meetings closer for you.

You folks are beyond that point, there is a realiziation that a possible need for a northend chapter exists. Get together and create a proposal and submit that to the BOD, prove your interested and serious by doing so. Every time I have brought something up about wanting some more information or creating a proposal, I get responses giving me the impression that the northenders don't want to do a bunch of work for nothing, either do I. Why would it be my responsibility as a BOD member to come up with a plan for what you want. If you guys can't get together to do the groundwork, why would you get together for club events.

+1

Very good points indeed. Like someone had mentioned previously, this is The PUGET SOUND Aquarium Society. What's Next? South End Chapter of the PSAS?

Washington State is approximately 300 miles from the Canadian border to Oregon.

What I want from a Club:

* Opportunity to meet and mix with like minded individuals.
* Interesting meeting topic that presents something new or in much more detail.
* Opportunity to trade equipment and livestock within reason.
* Value for dues etc.

* Right now RF is my primary source of information and I occasionally meet people in the stores or trades. I am starting to see regular faces at PSAS event.(I am a new northender)
* The meeting topics have been great. The fragging stuff is acquired knowledge but the presentation got me started. I would love to see a video camera at one of the meetings as there was so much going on it would be nice to have a fixed point of view. It was great to have a family event where I could bring my little girl.
* I have benefited from the generosity of others and hope I am able to give back. I brought a big zoa to the fragging session and went home with a diverse number of corals I would be unlikely to have otherwise. What frags I do make are not high enough quality to sell so I am happier trading.
* I have made back my dues in store discounts. I would like to win raffles more frequently (just like everyone else). The frag swap and picnic at Mike's were nice in everyone went home with something.

Are we talking a FULL club or just North end gathering/fraq swap?

I have a house in Edmonds with a beginning reef tank, a fish room, and a TV. I would be happy to be in a rotation where some people can come over and look at my tanks and maybe watch a reef specific topic. For example I missed the Redmond event because it started latter than expected and overlapped with guests clearing out my tank. (I am a little more than bitter). I was looking forward to revisiting my plumbing for efficiency and still have a load of questions! I think that RF is putting together a web seminar series too.

I seem to learn the most looking at other tanks or having people comment on mine.

I am lucky to have skimmerwisper and Mike (herefishy) some where nearby Edmonds but have not worked up the courage to invite myself over or set a time to come to my house. I think that I am doing something wrong with my skimmer and Ca reactor and I am sure a casual glance would be enough but whom has time these days?

-Paul

I agree with John and SId..
We would need to keep BOD in north end and they would have to clear EVERYTHING by the BOD...

As for the "We live to far away" arguement.. We go though this EVERY YEAR!!! We TRY our best to spread the love.. January's meeting is onwhidby Island.. And one meeting in Redmond already.

Ofer your house up for a meeting or two and or find us an afordable place to have a meeting up north and we will be happy to have a few up north..
If you don't want to try and help out.. Don't bitch about it.. yes thats rude, but this argument is old and rusty...
Some northenders will drive to the end of the earth if they WANT TO be at the meetings..
Some don't..
And yes.. PUGET SOUND streatches WAY up north down to Olympia.. So the PSAS does there best at getting meetings all over the sound.. BUT if we dont get input on a cheep place. we can't have meetings there.. The Grange in Kent was 65$ for the day.. Microsoft was over 100$ One place proposed was 1000$ for the day.. PSAS doesn't have that type of money..
Realisticaly we are on a $3000 a year budget...roughly..now get 10 meetings into that and thats only $300 a meeting ON AVERAGE..
BUT the BOB Moore costs us $1000 by it'self.. So do the math..
This is HARD everyyear to try and make EVERYONE happy.. We had a thread asking anyone to offer up there house or find a place to have a meeting and out of all of you only one person offered up there place..So the question I have,,, if you all are not willing to offer your house up now what makes you think it will be different if you have a northend chapter.??? Really, only one person?? So are all the meetings gonna be at that dudes house??? Put some thought into this.. If you have all the meetings at one guys house the rest of the northenders will start getting mad that they are not closer to them. Like if Dolfinlver guy has the meetings at his house Tat2guy will starrt getting upset they are not closer to his house.. This is an endless argument..
Hell why don't you write the Puyallup Fair complaining that they never have the Fair closer to your house..
Or for that matter Write the Seattle Seahawks and invite them to have a game at your local High school stadium.Sounds funny doesn't it..
Well if you want to go to a Hawks game or the puyallup fair. I bet you'll drive wont you..
It's a matter of IF YOU WANT TO GO, you'll go..
If you don't, you wont go..
Just my feelings and thoughts....

if you want to get technical, then it's really quite easy...
this is the puget sound aquarium society were talking about, right???
take a look at a map, simply measure the ACTUAL puget sound,
say reasonably from bellingham to olympia, and cut it in half and see where you end up...
now, that in mind, how fair does it seem to want to have renton/federal way/tukwila as a "center point"???
giving you the benifit of the doubt, even if you made a map of all known psas members and chose a center point, i bet it's still closer to seattle than renton/tukwila/fed way...

and people in vancouver are obviously going to go to portland and pnwmas instead anyway, so.... ???

maybe you guys should think of changing the name to
"greater western washington but predominantly around where the b.o.d. live aquarium society" or maybe
"where ever the hell we feel like aquarium society"
then, everyone can rest easy...
:) JK

Not a member of Bod at time but have spent time there. I agree with Skimmerwhisper. If you do not like the way things work maybe you should be more active in club. The Bod spends a lot of quality time trying to make things work. There are always a few disagreements. The trick is working things out to the best of your ability. My thoughts are with such a big group and wealth of knowledge why not put those efforts into having more educators and splitting the events if allowable. But the things you do not see behind the scenes are unforseen circumstances with host, speakers, etc. People working together is a win win situation. I would hate to think of losing things that were created in the past such as Bob Moore Memorial, foundation, etc.
I am welcoming the chance to visit.
But splitting the club would really disorient me. I had enough problems finding meetings years ago. Why not keep the foundation that was built by previous members and if you want change become more active and have a taste of what happens behind the scenes.

I am hoping people treat people the way they want to be treated and share the wealth, pay it forward and grow.

still treasure the memories and look forward to more from a good group of people working together.

Let's please try to keep the rude remarks and useless sarcasm out of this thread. As I said, early on, we're all adults. Let's show that we can act like it. I think I mentioned, earlier, how there's always seemed to be one "clique" against another "clique," whenever these types of subjects get brought up, concerning PSAS. I was hoping this thread would prove me wrong. So far, that isn't happening. Last time I saw, or dealt with cliques, was in Junior High/early High School. That was a very long time ago.

I think there's always been an imaginary line, maybe not a geographical line, but an imaginary one, AT Seattle, that kind of divides North and South. When people mention North I5, they're generally talking North of Seattle. When people mention South I5, they're generally talking South of Seattle. I think it's more of a TRAFFIC situation, than a geographical line. No, I don't live over there, but do visit often and travel the area often. In my mind (which is a scary place to be), I've always used I90, as the north/south line...lol.

According to most "authorities," Puget Sound is about 100 miles long, from Deception Pass, to Olympia. If you Google "South Puget Sound" and "North Puget Sound," you'll find that most maps define the "central" point as a line drawn from Bremerton to Seattle/Lake Washington area.

Which brings me back to what earlier.

Maybe we could find a central city that is more agreeable for everyone involved in the PSAS
To seek a place to hold meetings.

Then the bod can try to find an affordable location within that decided city.

Sorry if I offended anyone that hasn't cried about the meetings being to far away..

John I agree with you.. The BOD and the PSAS should remain one entity. This "northend chapter" sounds to be WAY more stress and problems than BOD already has...

"greater western washington but predominantly around where the b.o.d. live aquarium society" or maybe
Hi pot, meet kettle..
"lets have the PSAS grow corals and sell them for profit, I'll do it at my house and I'll take a small cut for growing them out"
Wasn't this a proposal to the PSAS BOD a few years ago by the Former President????

AND furthermore.. January meeting is on WHIDBEY ISLAND!!
NONE of the BOD lives even NEAR there..

As acting Vice President I wasn't even aware of this thread or this discussion. The PSAS BOD must discuss this further before anything else is done..
As for the BOD members who gave the O.K. for this idea or even entertained this idea without contacting ALL of the acting BOD PLEASE CALL ME ASAP!!

As for this thread.. Would the MODS of this forum please put a halt to this until further notice!!

Offer your house up for a meeting or two and or find us an affordable place to have a meeting up north and we will be happy to have a few up north.

My fish room holds ~ 10 people so it is on the small side. While more could be upstairs or on the deck I am worried about trying to host all of the PSAS in one spot so I did not reply to that thread. I took the wrong bus last week and passed a "grange". I have no affiliation or stake on behalf of the BOD so I do not know the rate.

Cedar Valley Grange Hall
* (425) 776-8671
20526 52nd Ave W, Lynnwood, WA 98036

Seriously consider taping a talk.

Hi pot, meet kettle..
"lets have the PSAS grow corals and sell them for profit, I'll do it at my house and I'll take a small cut for growing them out"
Wasn't this a proposal to the PSAS BOD a few years ago by the Former President????

adam, that is completely out of context, and has absolutely nothing to do with a central location for psas, so how ever that comes out as calling the kettle black is beyond me bro...

and fwiw, i still think that's a great idea...
if someone in the club had a tank just for psas members to donate grow out frags to, and then sell for the benifit of the club on the website,
or even a co-op where people bring their frags and then spit the profit with psas, it would be win/win...
and why shouldnt that farmer minding the tank be compensated minorly for the cost of power and husbandry??

Ok folks this looks like it has gotten deeper then it was originally meant to be so I am going to move to the PSAS forum. From their your own mod can decide what they want to do with it.

Mojo

As acting Vice President I wasn't even aware of this thread or this discussion. The PSAS BOD must discuss this further before anything else is done..
As for the BOD members who gave the O.K. for this idea or even entertained this idea without contacting ALL of the acting BOD PLEASE CALL ME ASAP!!

As for this thread.. Would the MODS of this forum please put a halt to this until further notice!!

I agree please lock this thread.

two out of three BOD members want this to happen

Back