November 17th PSAS Mtg is a FRAG SWAP!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

FYI to all coming to my Reef Garage. I need power strips, extension cords, heck if someone has a generator that would be great. I dont know how many are coming, so I'm planning for like 40 reef buddies. I have a 20 and 30 gal set up for whom ever needs places to put frags. Also Jnarowe dropped by a 10 and 30 gal. could some more 10 gals and egg crating. Thanx for all the help. Oh by the way I got a bunch of chips and salsa and our new 6 layer dip, all thanx to the SalsaKing who will be there in spirit.

Does anyone have a copy of the Anthony Calfo's Reef invertabrates book they could let me borrow? Trade corals for? or purchase?

I hear it has a good section on refugiums.

61Z30G6MGML._AA240_.jpg

Hey Mike, I have a generator and some cords, but still no power strip. I'll try to bring what I got! I am about set but I still haven't figured out how to transport my frags down there, since I dropped the tanks off.

Anyone with advice on transporting frags? Bagged? Cooler on egg crate?

And an FYI: I will be bringing a couple of duncan frags from Sherman...Probably one Australian and one ORA. Anyone who wants to see a polyp eat like a freakin' pig, has got to check these things out!

I helped Fragman move a bunch of corals when her moved. I had the idea of just filling buckets of water and putting the each coral in its own bag,but not sealing it and putitng them in the water. Then they dont touch each other. That worked great.

Hey Mike, I have a generator and some cords, but still no power strip. I'll try to bring what I got! I am about set but I still haven't figured out how to transport my frags down there, since I dropped the tanks off.

Anyone with advice on transporting frags? Bagged? Cooler on egg crate?

And an FYI: I will be bringing a couple of duncan frags from Sherman...Probably one Australian and one ORA. Anyone who wants to see a polyp eat like a freakin' pig, has got to check these things out!

At last year's swap, I brought a brute trashcan filled with tank water, a heater, and a powerhead. I have a power converter in my vehicle, so it kept them nice and warm on the hr drive down. I bagged each individually and left them in the brute trashcan at the swap. the pump and heater were basically just to regulate temperature. It seemed to work pretty well.

Other's I have seen bring in cooler and have had good success..

I'd probably favor individual bagging vs. all thown together so you can avoid any biological warfare issues.

see ya'll soon!

I agree about seperation in transport- the corals could damage eac other not only by physical damage or stinging but also they tend to slime up and could damage each other through water quality. If seperated and one slimes up or starts to go south the others are protected. Also I would say starting with good tank water and keeping the temprature steady are very important. I have used coolers with good success. If it is really cold you can wrap heat packs in towels and put them in the cooler too- just make sure they are not in direct contact with any of the frag bags. Hope that helps some.
Cheers,
Tracy

Thanks for all the input everyone. I have about a half hour drive to Mike's and I am just trying to contemplate method. :)

Does anyone have a copy of the Anthony Calfo's Reef invertabrates book they could let me borrow? Trade corals for? or purchase?

I hear it has a good section on refugiums.

61Z30G6MGML._AA240_.jpg

Hey Ben,

I have a copy I could loan you if you'd be really careful with it and bring it back when you come to the Christmas Party. It's in brand new condition and autographed by BOTH authors; Calfo and Fenner.

Vicki

Hey Ben,

I have a copy I could loan you if you'd be really careful with it and bring it back when you come to the Christmas Party. It's in brand new condition and autographed by BOTH authors; Calfo and Fenner.

Vicki

Wow Vicki- thank you!

If I don't get any offers between now and then, I'll take you up on this and promise to be good to it. Since it's autographed, it's kind of more like a collector's edition. I almost feel bad for reading it (ha ha) :p Is there a date set for the x-mas party yet? I just want to make sure I can attend.

Vicki, That was my inetention regardless of what car I am in. I am just trying to figure out if I will bag them or not. I think I have a good plan though.

I need to make a correction: Sherman brought by the Duncans and they are both Aussie. NO ORAs for this frag swap.

Wow Vicki- thank you!

If I don't get any offers between now and then, I'll take you up on this and promise to be good to it. Since it's autographed, it's kind of more like a collector's edition. I almost feel bad for reading it (ha ha) :p Is there a date set for the x-mas party yet? I just want to make sure I can attend.

The Christmas Party hasn't been "Officially" announced yet (though I've asked for it to be), but it should be the 3rd Saturday, December 15th, at my house; I guess pending Board approval. :?:

Vicki

In addition to the stuff I posted. Anyone looking for frags LOL. I have a bunch of miscellaneous frags and some corals that I will be fraging if interested. Here is a shot of misc frags, $5,10,15. Some of the corals I will be fraging, $10,15,20. Sorry for the shots. Will post more pics of other colonies that I will be fraging. Thanks?tracy

Last edited:
Back