people with out chillers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

For years I just used some plastic jugs filled with water that I stored in my freezer.
I had enough to rotate them several times a day, plus the use of a couple good fans in the right places.
A air conditioner helped also.

so I just ordered from "Trane" a 17,000 dollar AC system for the house to be fully integrated with my return flow so that it acts as a integrated chiller. how bout them apples??? joking......I do have a 6 dollar clip on fan about the house and some frozen water as previously suggested just in case LOL

I did notice yesterday our temps hit 86 up here, and my tank raised to 82.2. just after Sivart33 posted this thread :)

4 computer fans across the top of our water inside the hood. Two blowing in and two sucking out. We haven't moved above 79 so far. Keeping our fingers crossed.

I'm doing alright. Seems to get hottest in the tank right after work.

I have 2 clip on fans blowing across the top, and I have some frozen gallon milk jugs I'm rotating in the sump.

Also running a 1/12 HP chiller, but its a bit undersized for my system (got it free from a decomissioned bio lab)

At about 5 pm my MH shut down as the temp hit 80C, but yesterday it didn't go over 80.5

Hahahaha!! Dead indeed :)
The apex killed my lights yesterday as well.
Off to get some fans today.

holding at 78 with an added clip on fan and opened the fuge door to ventilate :)

Todd wow havent seen ya post lately welcome back :)

I have been open top for 2 years now. Have wall mounted fan blowing across the top of water. Fans hooked up to temp controller so all automated (helps to run an ATO)
Can't house jumper fish, but man is it a lot easier and LOW power consumption!

I have been keeping my ac on, and have a super fan blowing across the top of the water. The other day, my girlfriend forgot to kick on the ac before leaving to work, and it got up to 82. Came down quickly though and I try to keep it 77-79. Hadn't thought about dropping a frozen bottle in the sump. Putting a few in the freezer right now!

hey I live close enough to the sound think doing daily water changes with NSW sitting at 52 degrees will help???LOL

This is basically what I did last year during the hat wave. I on the third floor and get both morning sun through my bedroom window and evening sun through my sliding glass door.

My tank last year peaked at around 89 degrees according to the digital temp probe I have in there. And I was doing 10% water changes about 6 times a day for three or four days straight with refridgerated saltwater (I only have a 20 gallon system) It kicked the temp down in my tank fast, like 6-8 degree changes in seconds fast. I lost nothing.

If you have a big enough fridge or a small enough tank, thats what I did last year...this year I have an AC unit.

my 210 has a 1/2 hp chiller keeping mine at 78. I also have my chiller sitting out on the back porch in a garden box plumbed to the tank to keep the chiller heat outside. No worries with this nice weather.

Siting back chillin in ac, think ill crack a cold one my self....

Anyone with A/C have recommendations on keeping the house even temperatures throughout? I was trying to go to sleep last night and it was almost TOO cold in my bedroom... :badgrin:

Back