people with out chillers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

itsa hot

Fans do not seem to do much to keep my heat down last few days. Seattle has been mid 90’s and my 55g has hit 84. It is in setup phase so no biggy, but tomorrow I get my rock and start cycling. Was wondering for future reference if the frozen water bottle floating in the sump has any negative side effects? Does the lower temp return water stress fish or corals? I was thinking rather than an ice bottle, of drilling some holes in a small cooler, running ¾ tubing into it and coiling it around and around like 15 times, then back out and back to sump. Power it with a 300-500gph pump and fill the cooler with ice. Presto home made chiller, but no real control, just on and off, lol. Anyone have other ideas?

My tank starts at 78 in the morning and is at 82 at end of day with a fan on tank and ac on. Everything is doing great. Some reefs hit over 90 during the day.I think temp differential is good. Everything goes through it. Where in the world does everything have a constant temp through out the whole day???? At night ,no sun ,cools down. During the day ,sun, gets hot. and in summer even hotter. Just like having lunar cycles ,why not temp cycles, like in nature. Summer hot, winter cold.Just keep it in reasonable parameters. There we go a comtroller that mimics seasonal temps and day light and moonlight cycles. I should patened that,oooopps .

Last edited:
Not sure if this was posted, but in my situation where I lost power for almost 2 days straight, I took some zip lock baggies full of water and stuck them in the sun to warm them. My hot water was gone since power was out. I just kept cycling them in and out to keep the water temp up.

switch to LED's ...lol
then, live in a basement... :)

when i shut the windows and blinds, i get maybe up to 70,
so i consider myself very lucky...this is the first place i've lived that stayed so cool in summers...

a great thing to do if you are having heat issues is to switch your light cycle to the night time/morning when it's the coolest... instead of the middle of the day.

Last edited:
hey ichthys that would be an awesome idea. if you have a controller to run the pump thru that homemade chiller you could set it to come on when temp hits like 79.0 and off at 78.5.

Fans do not seem to do much to keep my heat down last few days. Seattle has been mid 90’s and my 55g has hit 84. It is in setup phase so no biggy, but tomorrow I get my rock and start cycling. Was wondering for future reference if the frozen water bottle floating in the sump has any negative side effects? Does the lower temp return water stress fish or corals? I was thinking rather than an ice bottle, of drilling some holes in a small cooler, running ¾ tubing into it and coiling it around and around like 15 times, then back out and back to sump. Power it with a 300-500gph pump and fill the cooler with ice. Presto home made chiller, but no real control, just on and off, lol. Anyone have other ideas?

the lower temps from the frozen water bottles keeps the fish and corals from being stressed and I have found no negative side effects of using them for 15-16 years.
With the use of the right sized fans and frozen water bottles, I was able to keep my 180 gallon tank (with 3x250 watt mh and 4 x 160 watt vho) from getting to hot during the hottest summer days.

I'm lucky as all of my setup is in the garage(which is the coolest part of the house)..i also have a attic fan in the garage on a temp sensor..when on it sucks cold air from the crawl space into the garage..the highest temp my tank has been last week was 79.

I wonder if anyone has every used a chest freezer as a chiller for a system. Some of them are one piece plastic liners. You could get a small one and use it as the refrugium and sump and chiller. Sounds like an idea I should look into.

My tank has actually ran cooler the last two days since we switched the AC in the room from energy saver to cool (the cool mode is more efficient, but uses more energy). Unless your tank always runs too warm I do not feel you need a chiller, if you cool the room on the hot days both the people and the tank are more comfortable. A window AC unit is much cheaper than a chiller for the tank.

I just brought in some top off water from out side and had to put Ice packs in it to cool it so it could be added to the refuge.

My tank starts at 78 in the morning and is at 82 at end of day with a fan on tank and ac on. Everything is doing great. Some reefs hit over 90 during the day.I think temp differential is good. Everything goes through it. Where in the world does everything have a constant temp through out the whole day???? At night ,no sun ,cools down. During the day ,sun, gets hot. and in summer even hotter. Just like having lunar cycles ,why not temp cycles, like in nature. Summer hot, winter cold.Just keep it in reasonable parameters. There we go a comtroller that mimics seasonal temps and day light and moonlight cycles. I should patened that,oooopps .

wow for real? The ocean is the most stable eviroment on the planet...the temp does not flux much. google it dude.:lol:

remora in sump

fan controlled by controller

I noticed you run your remora in the sump. I wanted to do this as well, but for some reason it doesnt seem to skim as well as when i put it on tank. Mine is a Remora Pro with a RIO 1400. I am wondering if it works better because the water is higher when mounted on tank than on sump (or in sump). The way the pump hangs from the intake, when it is on sump the pump is only about an inch below water surface, whereas when it is in tank it is 3 inches below water. I had thought it would run better in sump because water in sump is from surface skimming and theoretically higher in proteins...

hob not hob'n

its in the water and its siting on a rock
Picture3002764.jpg

Shallow parts of a reef do change a bit daily depending on the currents also the salinity changes after a rain.

Deeper parts do not however.

I am concerned about how a hotter tank for a long period can have bad bacterial blooms now with bacteria in the ocean there are checks and balances our tanks cant easily duplicate.

Just as fish seem to live a litle easier less stress in lower salinity 1.028 Vrs 1.035
also they seem to be healthier in a cooler climate that is constant.

If you went to spokane and went to waves and saw there monster colonies in a constant temperature for years.You might think it's not a bad idea to keep it constant.

Paul

:)

Back