Peppie's 180 Reef-Room

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Peppie

Well I figured it is time to start a build thread.
I have been collecting and building parts for this system for near 9 months.
The detailed sump and skimmer build can be seen here
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f12/fishroom-frezny-63579/ I will refer to some of the pics in this thread.

Tank 49'' X 39'' X 24'' tall 180gal CFI custom 1/2'' acrylic
20130112_154512.jpg

I will be modifying the overflow. I know, I cant leave well enough alone. LOL

Stand 66'' X 54'' X 42'' tall Steel Tubing with adjustable feet
standbuild045.jpg

Steelgussets014.jpg

Stands still needs sand blasted and some zinc primer with an epoxy top coat

Sump 100gal acrylic
Fishroomsump004.jpg

Fishroomsump005.jpg

Skimmer LARGE counter current air driven
SkimLoc-cup021.jpg

Lights 144 3watt DIY Led build

Closed Loop 5600 gph Reeflow

Return pump so far it is a Mag 18, this may change

I will be sectioning off part of the garage for this build. Approx 12' X 9' The viewing side of the tank will set right up against the drywall facing the livingroom. NO NOISE, NO MESS inside. Gotta love it!

I will try to keep this thread in some type of order, there is so much left to do, and so much has already been done.
I will start with the location, sump,stand,skimmer ect, ect,ect.

This WILL be a long one

Hope to add water by Oct of this year. That will depend on $ coming in.

SWEET!!! I will definitely be following this one close. Glad to see it coming together for you sooner rather than later. That find on the tank sure helped things along.

Yea, the tank is a bit smaller than the original plan. Actually 260gals smaller
After a lot of thought I am glad I down sized from the proposed 440 to the 180. Just the cost difference in the tank was approx 3 grand!!!!

OOOooooooooooooyeah let's get it on!!!!!

LOL Spinner, and on we shall get.

We all need to have a couple of these's
fishroom010.jpg

That need to be filled with this 5 stage 100gal per day unit
fishroom011.jpg

Limited space forced me to build up and not out
fishroom012.jpg

The top barrel is the freshwater. The tube running out the side is an overflow that runs out the wall to the yard, Sometimes I forget to turn off the hose.
fishroom015.jpg

Water changes will be done with gravity.
fishroom017.jpg

Is that a seismically approved tie down I see there holding that top barrel from toppling on your head in the next big one? And where is the same strap on the lower one to protect your toes? JK...

Slick work as always Dave.

I will definatly enjoy watching you work Dave. With your attention to detail this should be fun to watch come to life!
So once this is up and running will you be running 2 Tanks or will you Transfer your livestock from your Current Display?

Remember, we love the pics:)

NICE START DAVE, is this going to be another RACE to see who gets there new system wet first ??? I have done a little digging under my house already in preperation for my Mechanical Room/Seasonal Storage. Though if I don't buy a winning Lottery ticket soon you should not have to worry for a while.

Cheers, Todd

Is that a seismically approved tie down I see there holding that top barrel from toppling on your head in the next big one? And where is the same strap on the lower one to protect your toes? JK...

Slick work as always Dave.

Why yes it is Eric. I bought it at the Earthquake Safety Store!! They only had one in stock. The other one has been on backorder since July of last year.

I will definatly enjoy watching you work Dave. With your attention to detail this should be fun to watch come to life!
So once this is up and running will you be running 2 Tanks or will you Transfer your livestock from your Current Display?

Remember, we love the pics:)

Thanks for looking in Shane,
My current 90 AIO will be up and running until the 180 is fully cycled, then to the classified it goes. I am afraid it will be a hard sale. It is built to set in a right hand corner.

NICE START DAVE, is this going to be another RACE to see who gets there new system wet first ??? I have done a little digging under my house already in preperation for my Mechanical Room/Seasonal Storage. Though if I don't buy a winning Lottery ticket soon you should not have to worry for a while.

Cheers, Todd

LOL Todd,
No race this time. The last build was kinda forced into production due to my spontaneity.
I will take my time on this one. As the money comes in, I will spend it. I am not into using credit on this addictive hobby. I went down that route with the Racecar!! Never again.
How much dirt do you need to pull out to stand up under there??
You know Hobby room and Storage room is an ugly battle. Maybe a stairway to the attic would be a great computerize. LOL

Thanks Kirk,
Got the tank second hand from Tyson. CFI's tanks are a work of art. I am proud to say I own one.
I feel like I am cheating a bit cause I didnt build my own tank. Not that I will lose any sleep over it. LOL

Thanks Krish,
I sure hope I can live up to everyone's expectations here. LOL

Quick update.

I took time to place some of the pieces of this jigsaw puzzle together, just to see if my vision was what I expected.

The side you are looking at will face the other way. I set it up this way just to see if it will all fit in my 12' room. Also to get a feel for the rockscape.

20130119_152727.jpg

I am not liking how half of the sump sits outside the stand. I would like to see all of it under the stand, giving me more floor space in the fishroom.
It' that damn skimmer!!! It is way to big for this 180. (just waiting for someone to suggest that fact to me) LOL

So that got me thinking...about.... plan B. ALREADY!!! I will have to cut about 5'' out of the skimmer neck and make a new flange. No big deal.
But something is still not right in my head. After a couple of phone calls I sold the sump!!
But wait.... after a couple more I bought this one.

20130121_131626.jpg

Quick scrub with a stiff brush

20130121_134953.jpg

20130121_134925.jpg

It is 32'' X 36'' X 24'' about 120 gal.

A few mods in the shop and it will fit into the puzzle better than the other sump. What it wont fit into is the bottom of the stand!!!! Crap!!!
The widest leg placement is 29'', and the height is 34''. Yep you called it I will be cutting out a leg on the stand to squeeze the new sump underneath.

Now I just need to figure out this new sump layout. Man I love this hobby!!

Why are you installing under tank when you have a fish room? Great job cleaning that sump looks like a nice big one:)

Why are you installing under tank when you have a fish room? Great job cleaning that sump looks like a nice big one:)

There is not much floor space left after you set a 5' X 5' stand in the middle of one wall, and a 3' X 2' WC unit in one corner. not to mention the 30'' X 33'' frag tank,
and what about my Qt and hosp. tank????
If I place this sump in the correct corner of the stand I will be able to do maintenance on the Skimmer/reactors/fuge from the outside edge of the stand. I am planning only having to go under the stand to deal with the return pump or closed loop pump.

I see that is alot of things:) I know it will be top notch so no worries here! Good move going with close loop it will be nice hidden in your aquascape. You should look into the Blow Hole pumps that 3 speeds is nice and a good company backing them. I believe they have four different sizes now?

I see that is alot of things:) I know it will be top notch so no worries here! Good move going with close loop it will be nice hidden in your aquascape. You should look into the Blow Hole pumps that 3 speeds is nice and a good company backing them. I believe they have four different sizes now?

I already have a brand spankin new Reeflow rated a 6200gph for the CL

Back