Peppie's 180 Reef-Room

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Looking like a great start Dave. A couple things though. First, I started into the hobby with a pair of mag 18's and they are loud. Even submerged they are louder than most. Ive been running a used panworld ($60)for over five years now and highly recommend saving more pennies for something else. I love mag pumps but wont use over a 9 anymore.

Then, before you start cutting up your stand maybe you should sell this sump and consider taking alook at the double tank sump set up I brought home today. It will fit into your stand and might be just what you need. I'll PM you with a pic after work tomorrow.

I understand your wanting to save space. My tank room is barely big enough to work in at 6'x 7'.

Looking like a great start Dave. A couple things though. First, I started into the hobby with a pair of mag 18's and they are loud. Even submerged they are louder than most. Ive been running a used panworld ($60)for over five years now and highly recommend saving more pennies for something else. I love mag pumps but wont use over a 9 anymore.

Then, before you start cutting up your stand maybe you should sell this sump and consider taking alook at the double tank sump set up I brought home today. It will fit into your stand and might be just what you need. I'll PM you with a pic after work tomorrow.

I understand your wanting to save space. My tank room is barely big enough to work in at 6'x 7'.

I understand that the Mag 18 is not the best pump for this situation, but the price was right, noise is not an issue. the gph at 5-6' of head is right on target.
I will be looking forward to the pic's of the two part sump you will have. How many gal. does it hold? trying to keep up on the water volume.
I am considering adding a 65gal return or fuge to this 120 sump.

It is way to big for this 180. (just waiting for someone to suggest that fact to me

Dave,

your skimmer is too big for this tank......I'm there for ya bro....LOL LOL

Thanks Kirk.
It is so much easier to make it smaller, rather than taller.
I am thinking I will be building a trap door in the walkway around the tank, just so I can do semi monthly maint.

Not much progress yet...
Actually, I am taking 2 steps back. Need to place the sump under the stand so I know all of this " stuff" will work together.

One leg GONE!!
20130123_122917.jpg

Nice going Dave! Even you should know that ya cannot have a three-legged aquarium stand :fish:

Looks like a nice clean removal, I have an idea how to make it a 'Cool' removable center stile if you haven't thought of it yet bud.

Cheers, Todd

I dont think I will be replacing the leg. There will be no load at that point of the stand. The tank platform( built with 2 X 8 ) will sit to the front and on both sides of the stand. This will be shown later.

I did manage to pack the sump, CL pump, and the 65 gal fuge into the bottom part of the stand. I still have a space for a 30 gal ATO tank.
20130123_174423.jpg

This is only a moch up. It could change. LOL
20130123_174457.jpg

Have I stated yet that this skimmer is to LARGE for this build.
20130123_174532.jpg

I hope to make some real progress within the next couple of week.

Basic Stand Finishing 101

I'll get the steel prepped properly with this new toy
20130124_192337.jpg

Then a couple of coats of good acrylic primer
20130124_192406.jpg

Followed with this Marine Top Coat
20130124_192359.jpg

I am good to go
20130124_192312.jpg

Anybody have a suggestion for the media to run in the sandblaster?

Last edited:
Porky was prepared for a retirement party I attended for the company I work for. The party was catered.

Media depends on what nozzle you have in your gun. I used to use nylon beads, #180 I think, when I was working with stainless. That was in a cabinet tho, You could use fine sand to baking soda, just depends what finish your looking for. Also, were you planning on using anything on your threads for your adjustable threads? JPG

Media depends on what nozzle you have in your gun. I used to use nylon beads, #180 I think, when I was working with stainless. That was in a cabinet tho, You could use fine sand to baking soda, just depends what finish your looking for. Also, were you planning on using anything on your threads for your adjustable threads? JPG

Thanks for jumping in Jason.
I am just looking to remove light surface rust off the bare metal. The nozzles that came with the blaster are 2.4 mm, 2.7mm, 3.2mm, 3.6mm.
Plan on masking off the threads on the adjustable feet. After the stand is in place and level I will coat the treads with primer.
Can you recommend some media for these size nozzles that wont break the bank?

Btw I have simplified the CTC I will be installing in the tank. I will not jeopardize the structural integrity of the tank. I will send you some pics of a moch up before I proceed.
Thanks again for your input.
Dave

Back